NSV-AGE

Options
SO I realized that at my highest weight of 272 I looked older........now that I lost the 40, I get carded, asked how old i am, etc. lol . I notice my skin is glowing and I def look younger then my age (29).

I got asked by a 23 yr old how old I was, when I said GUESS..hes like um 23! another one said 21..lol haha. I dont care about looking my age, just prefer not to look way older then my age .

Weight definitely makes you look older!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Cool NSV

- but it was total & complete opposite for me.

At the weights of 250-307 everyone thought I was 20 something. I ALWAYS got carded.

Once I got under 250 lb, people suddenly see that I am 30+ (I am 37), and I never get carded. People lose it differently. I do still get people thinking I'm around 30-32 but when I was heavier I was always assumed to be at least ten years younger. I had not one wrinkle. I have a few now.

I'm totally ok with it just saying it's not gonna be that way for everyone ;-) I do get tons more come-ons from strangers, tons more compliments from all sizes of women on my style/clothing, etc. So I am cool w/ it.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Since I've lost weight I've noticed the wrinkles in my fingers, haha. ;)
  • Gilla22
    Options
    wow!!!!! I hope that happens to me too.lol.ALL MY LIFE Ppl thought I was older than I am.... im 22 and ppl think im 30?its so freaking annoying.when im with my mom,ppl think we're sisters.when im out with my bro (who's 3 years older than me),they think im older.I once went to eat out with my dad once in a fancy restaurant and ppl thought WE'RE A COUPLE ...imagine how frustrating that is.I don't wanna look 18... just my age.thats all
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that's awesome! I've had the exact same experience - most people told me I looked much older than I was when I was 250, now people tell me I look my age. I'd obviously prefer to look like the age I am :) I noticed the difference myself when I did my first face progress pic.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think looking younger is the BEST NSV there is!!! Congrats on your loss of both weight and years!:flowerforyou:
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!!!
    I think I look young because I have big eyes and chubby cheeks...so it reminds people of someone younger. However when I was bigger my eyes looked small and my cheeks melted into my face and double chin..lol........now my cheeks are more pronounced, I have a jawline and my eyes look big-so I look "younger" in that sense:)

I am getting carded everywhere I go, its funny! LOL

I think weight makes you look older...despite the other two gorgeous ladies that commented on looking "older" after.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think weight makes you look older...despite the other two gorgeous ladies that commented on looking "older" after.

Congratulations on your success but I think it's kind of silly that despite 2 people saying for them it was the opposite that you're trying to generalise your experience to everyone.

I also definitely look older since losing weight. Double chins being replaced by turkey neck is probably the main reason.

You're also very young. If you look at older people (sadly particularly women) I think you'll often find that fatter people actually age better. I'm not claiming it for everyone (and genetics play a huge role) but I know with older women I work with the fatter ones often look less aged.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I just decided to google and found a report on a study that apparently agrees with what I just claimed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/kate-devlin/6858118/Carrying-extra-pounds-can-help-you-look-younger-but-only-in-later-years.html

So apparently you're supposed to look younger if you're thin up to 54 and then after 54 having extra fat makes you look younger. Bit sad for me, I'm only 40.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I got carded at the wine store on Monday (I'm 26). I've never been carded before, not even when I went in on my 19th birthday!

I was afraid that I would look older by losing weight, but it seems to have the opposite effect
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    I just decided to google and found a report on a study that apparently agrees with what I just claimed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/kate-devlin/6858118/Carrying-extra-pounds-can-help-you-look-younger-but-only-in-later-years.html

So apparently you're supposed to look younger if you're thin up to 54 and then after 54 having extra fat makes you look younger. Bit sad for me, I'm only 40.
    Ok thanks for the "study". LOL this was just a light hearted NSV. Things get so serious on these threads. Geeze. lol. I know some 29 yr olds and they look old as crap. lol.......I also know 60 yr olds that look like they are in there 30's. I was commenting on MY NSV and wanted to let the ladies know that they looked beautiful not older.

Thanks for clarifying this for all of us.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    I got carded at the wine store on Monday (I'm 26). I've never been carded before, not even when I went in on my 19th birthday!

I was afraid that I would look older by losing weight, but it seems to have the opposite effect
    Yay!
    Love that shirt btw.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You do look very young! I would say 24 or 25.

I have to say I have also had the reverse effect. People generally always think I am younger ... since losing weight I have some serious bags under my eyes that I have never had. I can't seem to get rid of them and they have just started.

50540473.png
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    You do look very young! I would say 24 or 25.

I have to say I have also had the reverse effect. People generally always think I am younger ... since losing weight I have some serious bags under my eyes that I have never had. I can't seem to get rid of them and they have just started.

50540473.png

Aw thanks!

You do look younger! I totally agree!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!!!
    I think I look young because I have big eyes and chubby cheeks...so it reminds people of someone younger. However when I was bigger my eyes looked small and my cheeks melted into my face and double chin..lol........now my cheeks are more pronounced, I have a jawline and my eyes look big-so I look "younger" in that sense:)

awww shucks ;-) Thank ya ma'am and yeah I do think in a lot of ways weight does make you look older. When I think of the clothes especially...I used to work in a very professional job and some of my clothes were GROSS, I mean they were stylish enough and high quality but ewww so frumpalicious. MUCH better now.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!!!

awww shucks ;-) Thank ya ma'am and yeah I do think in a lot of ways weight does make you look older. When I think of the clothes especially...I used to work in a very professional job and some of my clothes were GROSS, I mean they were stylish enough and high quality but ewww so frumpalicious. MUCH better now.

Bigger clothes is so ugly-ive always said that. lol. Geeze it makes you look older too-can we get some nice bigger clothing. lol...
    I cant wait to be able to walk into ANY store and just pick anything out and wear it.....one day!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    frumpalicious

My new favorite word!

I'm not at a point where I've lost enough to tell one way or another on myself, but I'd be okay at 45 with some character lines in the face, if that's what occurs. I'm of the opinion that being healthy and confident usually negates age, anyway.

I think you all look fantastic!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Options
    frumpalicious

My new favorite word!

I'm not at a point where I've lost enough to tell one way or another on myself, but I'd be okay at 45 with some character lines in the face, if that's what occurs. I'm of the opinion that being healthy and confident usually negates age, anyway.

I think you all look fantastic!

You are so right! My post ws more intended to say that my physical characteristics have changed on me. I dont mind looking my age or "older". As long as I am happy and confidence is good-im good with everything.

thanks for the reminder :):)
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    So apparently you're supposed to look younger if you're thin up to 54 and then after 54 having extra fat makes you look younger.

Woo-hoo! :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!