Stronglifts help

Options
Hi,

I am planning to start stronglifts this coming monday.

The programme says I should start lifting at 20kg. I checked my weights today and I could barely lift 10kg (I am petite build at 4ft 8 and weigh 125lbs (57kg)).

So shall I start at 10kg instead and progressivley build up? Also what is the max I can lift?

I have 20lbs to lose still, should I do cardio for now and move onto stronglifts when I am 5lbs from my goal?

Thank you.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I think the program has instructions on what to do if you can't lift the bar. Forgot what exactly those were.

Start now and you'll be weeks ahead of starting weeks from now. :p
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Start at whatever you can lift safely. It doesn't matter what the figure is, nor will it matter where you get to as long as it's heavier.

The probable reason it suggests starting at 20kg is because that is the weight of an Olympic bar on its own.
  • Lozz68
    Lozz68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The programme says I should start lifting at 20kg. I checked my weights today and I could barely lift 10kg (I am petite build at 4ft 8 and weigh 125lbs (57kg)).

So shall I start at 10kg instead and progressivley build up? Also what is the max I can lift?

I have 20lbs to lose still, should I do cardio for now and move onto stronglifts when I am 5lbs from my goal?

Thank you.

Definitely start at the weight you can handle.

If it was me, i would start stronglifts right away - i lost quite a bit of body fat when i first started the program. In the beginning you can probably also do both for awhile before the weights get really heavy - then you will need the recovery time!

If you are going to start weight training however I would forget about scale weight - you are better off measuring body fat with a tape measure or calipers and taking photos for comparison as it is likely your body composition will change and the scale will lie!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you have access to 10kg fixed weight bars or the like, I'd do that. Or are you talking about adding 10kg to the bar? That's a big difference.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I take it you mean OHP right? I am yet to meet anyone who can't squat 10kg if they have the ability to squat biomechanically.

If you are talking about OHP, I'd use DB's until you go OHP 20kg. I don't understand the second question.

Thank you.

You should incorporate cardio if you require it to achieve a calorie deficit or improve general fitness. 20lbs to lose from 125lbs is a fair % of BW though. You should do some sort of resistance training to retain LBM while losing weight.
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I take it you mean OHP right? I am yet to meet anyone who can't squat 10kg if they have the ability to squat biomechanically.

Yes, I mean OHP.

If you are talking about OHP, I'd use DB's until you go OHP 20kg. I don't understand the second question.

I meant what is the maximum weight i should aim to lift? based on my body weight etc
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the quick responses.

Sorry for the confusion! I am new to weight training and still trying to figure it out.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend just following the program for a while, and not worrying about maximum.

If you want to see a basic framework for strength by sex and weight, here are some for each lift:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

if you're working out in a gym that has barbells and squat racks then more than likely they have the shorter barbells that are around 25 pounds. You could start with that one and work on up to 45 pound regular sized barbell.

if they dont have the teeny bar, then use the body bars. i know in my gym they go 9, 11, 15 and then 18. after that you can then move to the shorter bar
    So shall I start at 10kg instead and progressivley build up?
    yep
    Also what is the max I can lift?
    earth weighs 5.972E24 kg, i suppose anything more than that would be a bit paradoxical to lift.
    start strong lifts now.
  • bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts are a great way to start weight training as they are the 3 main 'compound' lifts in weight lifting. You are advised to start very low as it's a very progressive plan and it's to give you as much progression through the programme. Some good points - The Squat, Bent over row and bench press are the 3 biggest compound movements to strengthen the body and nervous system. These 3 alone will produce the most dramatic of body changes. It's also based on the 5x5 building method that is used by most bodybuilders at some point. Some bad points - IT IS NOT SOMETHING TO START AS A NEWBIE, if you are new to weight lifting, you have got to get some advice and someone to show you how to do the lifts properly. Although they're the best movements in weight training, they're also some of the most injury prone.

If you squat using wrong/bad technique, you back is going to blow out.
    If you bench Press using bad technique, you could drop the weight on your chest or your neck!!!
    If your bent over row is bad, your back is going to go.

20kg is the minimum for an Olympic bar, however they may have lighter fixed barbells there, 20kg is a very small weight on all 3 exercises providing you have good technique. A gym instructor will be able to help you easily in all of these movements.

Some things to remember. As you will be doing only 3 exercises (and they are good) try and get some advice on working some of the supporting muscles, for example, for a good squat you'll need a strong core and lower back. Benchpress is also heavily reliant on triceps which will be supported through the shoulder muscles and upper back/lats and traps. You will build strength in all these supporting areas but prevention is better than cure, and you ll get a better workout of it. Also remember that picking up a 20kg bar using your bicep is very different to using the pushing muscles of your legs, compound lifting requires heavier weight than isolation lifting. Good luck
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Strong lifts are a great way to start weight training as they are the 3 main 'compound' lifts in weight lifting. You are advised to start very low as it's a very progressive plan and it's to give you as much progression through the programme. Some good points - The Squat, Bent over row and bench press are the 3 biggest compound movements to strengthen the body and nervous system.

Full stop. Red Lights. You spelled "deadlift" wrong.
  • EricRazorbacks
    EricRazorbacks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts are a great way to start weight training as they are the 3 main 'compound' lifts in weight lifting. You are advised to start very low as it's a very progressive plan and it's to give you as much progression through the programme. Some good points - The Squat, Bent over row and bench press are the 3 biggest compound movements to strengthen the body and nervous system.

Yeah, he left out my favorite exercise out of all the Stronglifts exercises. But, he did leave out my least favorite, the overhead press, so it's a wash for me.

But, yeah, read up on the form. Have someone teach you and watch you some, if possible. If you are going to do barbell rows or dead lifts with just a bar of some sort, you'd probably need to prop it up on something to get the correct starting point. But, I'll let someone else clarify that since I've never done it that way.
  • Matt24442
    Options
    Strong lifts are a great way to start weight training as they are the 3 main 'compound' lifts in weight lifting.

Well 3+2...OHP and Deadlifts are the two
    Some good points - The Squat, Bent over row and bench press are the 3 biggest compound movements to strengthen the body and nervous system

DXRDmnY.jpg
  • bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Yeah, he left out my favorite exercise out of all the Stronglifts exercises. But, he did leave out my least favorite, the overhead press, so it's a wash for me.

Your right... I did leave out the Deadlift, but for someone new to lifting with little strength it's not the greatest of ideas is it? Strong lifts is based on Bill Starr's 3 main lifts of bench press, squat and power cleans, with some ab work and muscle support work thrown in. Bent over rows and some hyper extensions are a much safer way to build muscle in the middle and lower back respectively until some muscle foundation is formed.
  • Lozz68
    Lozz68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting as a newbie was a great idea for me!! I started low in weights, really worked on form and loved the exercise.

When done wrong, yes they can cause injury. But i disagree that people new to lifting shouldnt give them a go - I have build a solid strength base by focusing on Squat, Bench and Deadlift. Stronglifts has been a great starting point for many people, so why in this case should the program be changed?

Should newbies be careful and make sure they are lifting with correct form? YES. Should they leave out Deadifting and OHP from a structured program just because doing them wrong at really heavy weights can cause injury? I personally dont think so. That is why the program starts of with low weights and builds up to them while hammering in form
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Seconding what's been said.

And I'll add that if you are starting this light, it would be a good idea to get some 'fractional plates' so you can have very small increments. The 5lb per week increment (10lb on deads) is going to be a real challenge for you and I'm guessing you'll stall very quickly.

Here are some fractionals on amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Olympic-Fractional-Plates-Pairs-Great/dp/B008RP3KY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387331255&sr=8-1&keywords=fractional+plates
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Should newbies be careful and make sure they are lifting with correct form? YES. Should they leave out Deadifting and OHP from a structured program just because doing them wrong at really heavy weights can cause injury? I personally dont think so. That is why the program starts of with low weights and builds up to them while hammering in form

Yes, yes, yes.

Watch endless videos on form. Video yourself, compare it to the pro videos. Upload them and post them in the Eat, Train, Progress group for Sara and Sidesteel to critique. Form is everything.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you are too weak to start with the bar, you could start out with something like goblet sqats with a dumbell. Fractional plates are nice, but if they are too expensive you might get something like an adjustable ankle weight and use that instead.
    Another option to consider is to go with ALL PROs beginner routine.

http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.com/wiki/All_Pro's_Simple_Beginner_Routine_Wiki

Read through the forum posts, there are lots of Q and A there.

There is a good summary for it here at mfp:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915909-what-exactly-is-all-pro-s-routine

Mike
  • Huffdogg
    Options

Your right... I did leave out the Deadlift, but for someone new to lifting with little strength it's not the greatest of ideas is it? Strong lifts is based on Bill Starr's 3 main lifts of bench press, squat and power cleans, with some ab work and muscle support work thrown in. Bent over rows and some hyper extensions are a much safer way to build muscle in the middle and lower back respectively until some muscle foundation is formed.

Just no. I will never understand why some people think that someone new to lifting can't deadlift. The internet is FULL of instructional video on any of the lifts involved in SL/SS, the beginner is recommended to start as light as necessary to learn proper form, and there's no time like the present to start doing one of the best exercises you can do with a bar.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If you're reading the Stronglifts blurb from the website, bear in mind that it's aimed firmly at men. Use it as a guide, but not gospel.

I started with an empty bar and didn't add any weight until I was comfortable with the lifts and that my form was good. Now I only add weight when I stop struggling to get through my 5 sets. And I only add 1.25kg at a time.

I think you'll probably know when you reach your maximum, but for now start with low weights, get your form right and move on from there.