Can't get eating under control

jldodd
jldodd Posts: 16
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I did south beach for a week then quit because it makes me feel sick. I lost 4 pounds but I can do that in a week without doing South Beach. I used to be able to at least. Has anyone tried Weight Watchers? I'd like to just stick to my 1200 calories a day but i only do it for like 3 days in a row. I have discipline issues! I have lost weight in the past, but I can't seem to get started this time. I can't get lower than 164 before I pig out and ruin everything. I need some help and advice from someone who was in my shoes once.

Please help me.

Replies

• FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    I don't really have any advice, but I am right there with you. I just can't control my sweet tooth. I will do so well all day, and then destroy my hard work with brownies, honey buns, etc. Or, I will just binge on anything laying around. I have never tried any organized weight loss programs. I just don't think I could stick to it.
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    I did Weight Watchers and although I did lose some weight it isn't for me. Being restricted to 23 points was much more intimidating then 1200 calories. Also I found that when I ate out a lot of stuff wasn't on there. It just became more of a hassle then I thought it was worth. On the other hand, I do know some people that have had great success on WW. Unfortunately the problems you describe you will have whether you do calories or points. I am having similar struggles as you. My main problem is portion size. I have been able to get past the snacking but learning what a "normal" portion size is is my current battle. Good luck to you.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Two things - 1) Don't expect to lose 4 lbs/week - that's unrealistic and you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

2) I'm on a 1200 cal/day diet now. It's tough, but one of the BEST ways to make it easier is by working out! This earns you more calories to eat for the day -you worked hard for it, so eat them! Your body needs the extra fuel! I don't usually eat back 100%, but some days I get close. I usually aim to eat 50-75% of my exercise calories. When I eat healthy food, drink enough water, watch sodium, exercise, and eat back most of my exercise calories I succesfully lose weight every week.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    May I ask why you want to stick to just 1200? I eat anywhere from 1400-1800 a day. depending on exercise. I have MFP set for 1500 cals a day and I will not go below that either. I will up my exercise instead. I eat more now than I did before. More nutritious food and less junk processed and only drink water and orange juice a couple times week. I am never hungry and never just want to eat. Every morning I fill in my food diary for the day, plan what I am going to eat etc. Doing it this way makes me feel like I can stick with this. I do not deny myself food either if I want some chocolate or something sweet I allow myself a small portion. Denying yourself things is doom to failure in my opinion.
  • I know it's been mentioned before, but honestly, what seems to fill me up are high-fiber foods. Lots of water and snacking on those seem to occupy the space in my tummy that is longing for junk food. I have a huge appetite now that I teach aerobics, and the only thing that seems to keep the hunger at bay is to up my fiber intake and have it with lots of water.
This discussion has been closed.