What do you eat?

Options
Hi all! I am looking for suggestions about what to make when I know I need to eat but crave nothing. I have always been an emotional eater and I crave chips and dip and cookies and junk food. If I don't crave traditional "junk food" I crave things like pasta or mac and cheese. I have always craved food, and its always food thats bad for me. Now I have hit a milestone and I actually dont crave anything. Right now eating doesn't appeal to me before (which is a very strange feeling) but I know I need to eat.

I don't know how to eat when I am not craving anything. So any suggestions for foods to cook that are healthy . What do you eat when you don't really want anything but know you need to eat for fuel?

Replies

• eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just having a basic, go to kind of meal; baked chicken breast and veggies, something like that.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Print off a calendar sheet and write one meal in each box. I actually have about 3 months worth of meals I can cook and I switch things up each month. Somedays I feel like cooking and do my own thing, the rest of the time I pick one off my list. I cross off as I go. It helps keep it interesting and keeps me from eating the same 5 foods until I am thoroughly sick of them.

I like kale lasagne, lentils, kibbeh, white chili, roasted root veggies, stirfry, curry, just to give you a few ideas to start with.
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about anyone else but I keep a "graze" box for when I need to eat but don't want to make poor choices. Every morning I carefully prepare my plastic box of vegetables and berries. My particular favorite is sugar snap peas they satisfy on several levels. They are sweet, crunchy (make sure they are fresh or they won't be crunchy) and satisfy the hand to mouth gesture that often motivates people to eat even when they are not hungry. Also, Jicama is a good choice it's like a pear in taste only smooth and crunchy like an apple with a fraction of the calories. I throw in blueberries, blackberries and a strawberry or two so that there is something to tempt me and lure me away from chips and junk. I try to eat a little every couple of hours even if it's just a bite or two it keeps my motor running between meals and keeps me away from foods that are really bad for me.

Think about a "graze" box it helps and keeps a steady stream of healthy calories coming and helps keep hunger down. Using a graze box jumpstarts your metabolism since your body knows it will be eating soon it doesn't have to conserve it can BURN. :smile:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am looking for suggestions about what to make when I know I need to eat but crave nothing. I have always been an emotional eater and I crave chips and dip and cookies and junk food. If I don't crave traditional "junk food" I crave things like pasta or mac and cheese. I have always craved food, and its always food thats bad for me. Now I have hit a milestone and I actually dont crave anything. Right now eating doesn't appeal to me before (which is a very strange feeling) but I know I need to eat.

I don't know how to eat when I am not craving anything. So any suggestions for foods to cook that are healthy . What do you eat when you don't really want anything but know you need to eat for fuel?

Is it possible to not put food into categories, such as good or bad? You can eat anything if it fits into your daily calorie goal and you are meeting your nutritional requirements.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from anorexia and this happens a lot to me. Something I know some of my friends do is write a bunch of simple meals or meals they know they like. Then they keep them in a little box. When a day like that comes...they just pull a card from the box and have that meal.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I usually look for what I have in the fridge that will meet my macro targets best and go from there. So, low on protein? Maybe a shake or some Greek yoghurt.
    But I usually have a pretty good idea of the macros of what I make before I make it, which is an advantage.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about anyone else but I keep a "graze" box for when I need to eat but don't want to make poor choices. Every morning I carefully prepare my plastic box of vegetables and berries. My particular favorite is sugar snap peas they satisfy on several levels. They are sweet, crunchy (make sure they are fresh or they won't be crunchy) and satisfy the hand to mouth gesture that often motivates people to eat even when they are not hungry. Also, Jicama is a good choice it's like a pear in taste only smooth and crunchy like an apple with a fraction of the calories. I throw in blueberries, blackberries and a strawberry or two so that there is something to tempt me and lure me away from chips and junk. I try to eat a little every couple of hours even if it's just a bite or two it keeps my motor running between meals and keeps me away from foods that are really bad for me.

Think about a "graze" box it helps and keeps a steady stream of healthy calories coming and helps keep hunger down. Using a graze box jumpstarts your metabolism since your body knows it will be eating soon it doesn't have to conserve it can BURN. :smile:

I LOVE the name "Graze Box!' I keep a box in the fridge with pre-portioned graze-ables. 100 grams of grapes, string cheese, light and fit greek yogurts, SF Jello cups, etc....Now THE box has a name!!!!! Thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options

It's really odd, but I would have never thought of eating in response to craving as emotional eating until your post though I suppose that's exactly what it is.

That said, if you're really struggling and have no desire to eat food unless you crave it, I would talk to a professional. It sounds serious and it's no way to live life thinking, "Ugh. Nothing sounds good, so I'm just going to choke down this chicken breast and these green beans."

If you have no financial or other situational reason that limit the food you can enjoy food, eat what tastes good and fits within your calorie budget.
  • swoodco
    swoodco Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My go-to is a quick tuna salad sandwich with whole grain english muffin, cottage cheese and reduced fat mayo - low calorie, high protein and fairly healthy carb.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I agree with eylia...baked chicken breast, no skin and broc with some spinach. Drizzle a little olive oil with some Italian herbs. Then eat slow. Drink at least 2 glasses of water with your meal. If you don't like chicken, bake salmon...olive oil and herbs for seasoning.
    Mix up some fresh cut veggies and drizzle with rice wine vinegar and olive oil. Maybe a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
    Keep it simple and single ingredient. No funky dressing with chemicals.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Great idea silverteacup.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    P.S.
    "Jumpstart your metabolism" is a phrase. Your metabolism is going all of the time and does not know the difference between three meals or 100 snacks per day. Meal timing is personal preference.
  • ltfitz89
    ltfitz89 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much these are all great ideas!!
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Protein shakes
    Bananas
    Boiled eggs
    Protein bars
    Greek yogurt