Almost 60 - Anyone interested in losing 40 lbs in 40 weeks?

Options
"A winner makes commitments, a loser makes promises."

I made a COMMITMENT on December 4th, that I would lose 40 pounds BEFORE I turn 60 next year. Being the realist that I am, I know that this is an almost impossible goal but I need the motivation of an "impossible dream" in order to begin, to challenge myself, and to drive me forward. One step at a time, one day at a time, one pound at a time.

If I could lose just ONE pound a week, I can accomplish my goal, my dream by September 10, 2014. That's 40 weeks, 280 days, and 40 pounds. I CAN DO IT!

Would love to have a supportive group of friends who are willing to make a commitment with me. You help me and I will help you - together we can change our worlds.

Replies

• xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You are on! I am 54 and have a similar goal in mind before I turn 55 next year.
  • rvrussell
    rvrussell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 52 and 40 lbs. is about how much I have to lose.
  • motherofallcupcakes
    Options
    I want to! I weigh in at 210 I am 35.
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    A commitment that is to oneself, one's family and one's friends is always a more pleasant journey when taken with an ally.
  • KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I will join in.
  • momc4sons
    Options
    I'm 53 and that sounds good to me! Feel free to add me!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    hey I don't have 40 lbs to lose but I'll be 60 in July ;-) OMG is that even possible? anyhoot, I'm here and would love to share with you if you want to friend me ;-) GOOD LUCK
  • PolarPurple
    PolarPurple Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just a tad over 60 years, but COUNT ME IN !!
  • Sheil38
    Options
    I will be turning 50, next year and my goal is 20 pounds off!

I am in!
  • jpilley
    jpilley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Offer still stands - come join us. But make sure you are willing to make the COMMITMENT!. We now have an international group of inspirational friends to support your efforts.
  • TNHoneyBBQ
    TNHoneyBBQ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm game, please feel free to add me. We can keep each other accountable. Lets GO!
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am up for this, I will still have a few pounds to go after the 40lb but it would be great!
    Feel free to add me.
    Maybe we could set up a group, that way we can all keep together and post progress, recipes, training stuff etc, what do you think?:smile:
  • jpilley
    jpilley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Picked up two more new friends - come on people, make that COMMITMENT. If I can do it, you can too!

jp :flowerforyou:
  • shellee62
    Options
    I'm in! Just turned 52 and have 40 pounds to lose and keep off! Let's do this!!!!
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    sounds good - i'll give it a shot
    i'm on goal to lose 50 by 50
    50lbs by 50 yrs old - by Jan 2015 - if I can lose more than that it would be great
    i need to lose 75-80 to get into a healthy bmi
    i'm no longer dieting - i'm eating healthier and following the DASH plan, exercising more

Canookie
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I only have around 23 to go but I'm committed, 58 years young.
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    found a good calculator to determine the date of your 40th week easily

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html?m1=01&d1=29&y1=2014&type=add&ay=&am=&aw=40&ad=

i'll graduate from my 40 weeks on = Result: Thursday, October 16, 2014

doing really well this week so far and actually am looking forward to getting on the scales next Monday

I like weighing in on Mondays as it keeps me from grazing over the weekend

I lost 10.5 lbs last month using the DASH program .. how well is it working .. well, I went to Costco to pick up my fresh fruit and veg and the pants I was wearing that were quite tight when I bought them 4 months ago .. nearly fell right off my butt while I was walking around the store. I wound up having to hold the waistband with one hand and push the cart with the other. When I got back home I tossed them in the garbage (then, retrieved them thinking that was a bit silly) so perhaps i'll keep them for my before and after pic once I get the lbs off!!! LOL

Canookie
  • seventeendayer
    seventeendayer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't have 40 to lose, more like 20 but would love to join the "losing club". I turn 60 in December.....yikes!!
  • Jeaninerz
    Options
    59 in March and would love to join. I need friends (please add me) and having some my age would be most inspiring as I tend to use my age as my excuse.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Y'all are a bunch of kids. I just turned 64 this week. Have been working on my diet for about three months -- not here, though. I just found this site. I'd like to lose a pound a week this year, so far so good. My motivation is bad knees. I know losing weight will help my knees and avoid surgery. I've been going along pretty well for these three months by writing down every calorie I eat. Makes me honest with myself. I just commit to eating right and getting some exercise every day. I gave myself Thanksgiving, Christmas and my birthday off, but that doesn't seem to have thrown me off track.

Anyway, glad to know that there are some folks around my age on this site. It's encouraging!