Help with running calories

Options
Okay runners/athletes I actually need advice.
I have been in recovery from anorexia for almost 2 years now, When I started recovery I wasn’t allowed to exercise (joy of joys right?) so never had a meal plan that accounted for cals burned, anyway, fast foward a year and a half and I run 30-35 miles a week and am beginning to wonder if I am not eating enough to fuel this, keep in mind that I am only 5’3 for a second, I only weigh 118 pounds but I have been eating 2000 calories, even on days that I run, I eat the same amount on days I don’t run. I am 21 by the way, Sooooo. I have tried figuring out online calculators but they really do vary so much so I thought I would ask the people that have firsthand experience with maintaining weight (cause obviously that’s what I am trying to do) and running. I do wear a polar and the burn is between 650 and 700 normally. I know it’s not TOO MUCH, but is it maybe not enough?

Replies

• jessalleyne
    Options
    Well, what I love about MyFitnessPal is that they account for your calories burned. So if you have put in that you are trying to maintain and what your current weight & height is - then log your cardiovascular as well as your food each day. The days you run it will increase the amount of calories you should eat.

Overall you want to make sure you aren't too low for the week, but with eating disorders it may not feel good to go over your calories on the days you don't run - so you want to get as close as you can to the daily caloric intake on the days you do run.

Hope this helps! And, congratulations on your road to recovery. As with running - I'm sure you find yourself in a mind game with your eating as well. Deep breaths - and pat yourself on the back when you accomplish your healthy goals!
  • Ninjawarrior
    Ninjawarrior Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishment! I'm an athlete - will be doing my fifth Ironman in 2014 and my first 50K (hopefully!) in March.

From my years of experience - I've been competing since '94, I truly believe we're all an "experiment of one". It's part science and art. Are you keeping a log of how you feel along with your mileage and calories? I've been focusing on mindful eating - eating when I'm hungry and stopping when full. Listening to my body when it says,"hey, I'm hungry. Feed me." You definitely want to balance the carbs and protein and fats out and experiment with different ratios to see what keeps you properly fueled. You can also use your HR monitor to check your resting HR in the a.m. Keep it by your bed, don't get up. Just reach for it, put it on while you're still lying down. And see where it's at. If you're sick or over training, it will be higher in the a.m. Sometimes I go for a run and I can't get my HR up into the zones and that's a sign that I'm tired and need a break. This is probably TMI! With the calories, I'd check and see if you're always hungry, then fuel. If you're dropping weight, then you need to up the calories. Just make sure they're quality calories- not sodas, candy, etc., but fruits, almonds, turkey or protein. Does that answer your question?
    Lisa
    Ninjawarrior!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to lose, maintain, or gain weight?

Are you gaining/losing weight at 2000 calories with that average burn?

Are you using the 20% of TDEE method or the standard 500 deficit?

These answers would help us to help you.
  • madimurrell12
    Options
    I did actually mention that I was trying to maintain, but I should have been more clear about that sorry, yes definitely trying to maintain my weight.
    I don't actually weigh myself to be honest so I cannot tell you what my weight is doing.
  • madimurrell12
    Options
    Also thank you to the replies, they definitely help, what I am trying to do though is have a more regular number than jumping up and down and having huge differences on days I train/don't train, which is I don't like just eating back the calories based on one day....does that make sense?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also thank you to the replies, they definitely help, what I am trying to do though is have a more regular number than jumping up and down and having huge differences on days I train/don't train, which is I don't like just eating back the calories based on one day....does that make sense?

Then you want to use a TDEE method, where you look at what you do in a week, average it back out to a daily basis, and eat the same amount daily.

If you miss a planned workout, you skip 100 cal that day, if you make it up, you eat 100 extra, if you add an unplanned workout, you eat those calories back like MFP style.

If running is the only exercise you do, you will see performance improvements by eating enough for it. Now, doing endurance running like that, you should also increase weight as your body stores more glucose, with required water, for longer runs, but that will top off at perhaps 2-3 lbs.

Use this.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Literally put in your weekly time spent running, normal average amount. If you know how many miles you hit in a week for that amount of time, math will get you that speed then, if outside with hills, use 3 % incline as average, and select the NET option, not gross. Gross would be what MFP or a HRM reports back, but that includes calories you were going to burn anyway.
    There is your weekly calorie burn for running.
    Divide by 7 for daily average.

Then set MFP profile to whatever activity level is correct for your daily non-exercise routine. If 40 hr desk job, no kids, long commute, on your rear except for running, computer on weekends or movies - sedentary.
    Otherwise lightly active or more depending on job.
    Set to maintain weight.

Then go to Goals and custom setup. Take the Net eating goal shown there, add that daily average for running you calculated, and change the figure to that. Adjust macros to what you want (suggest 0.82 grams protein per lb of weight, fat at 0.35 grams per lb, the rest carbs).
    Save.

Now eat that daily. Ignore the MFP math - they are not aware you just set an eating goal that includes exercise.

If you decide to log your running in the exercise diary - be aware that MFP will increase the eating goal - ignore it, eat the same amount daily.
    May want to log 1 calorie, or log the exercise after you meet your daily goal.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My experience in maintenance and running about 3-4 days per week has been this: eat back most of what your polar suggests to your on workout days. My experience suggests that if you have a good cardio base, MFP is just a tad too generous in its allowance of calories even if you don't fully eat back calories during training days.

I have my maintenance set for 0.5 pound per week loss. Why?

Because my HRM suggests that my calorie burn rate during everything except fairly intense training (well into my Zone 2-3 levels) is much more efficient than MFP suggests.

The result is my weight has been rock steady and subject to even less day-to-day variation than prior to maintenance or running. I do allow myself a little deficit but when I go over the current allowance by 100-200 calories, it has no effect on the weight.
  • madimurrell12
    Options
    Thank you, I do prefer the idea of TDEE than just eating sporadically, makes it a bit easier to plan ahead. Turns out I was undereating by a little bit so thank you everyone for your advice, I guess now is just a waiting game to see how my body reacts.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The only "formula" I've found for running calories is here: http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

NET calories, accounts for what you'd be burning just by existing.

Miles x 0.63 x your weight (in lbs.)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I do prefer the idea of TDEE than just eating sporadically, makes it a bit easier to plan ahead. Turns out I was undereating by a little bit so thank you everyone for your advice, I guess now is just a waiting game to see how my body reacts.

Sounds good! :flowerforyou: