What do I have to do to get a six pack?

Options
I am a 5' 8" female and I currently weigh about 123 lbs. I understand I am a little underweight. I'm just wondering what I have to do to get rid of the little pooch I have. I have a little bit of ab definition above my belly button. Obviously I don't need to lose any weight. I've been doing jillian micheals banish fat boost metabolism everyday along with her killer abs video. I think I have been doing too much cardio. If I start her ripped in 30 video about four days a week and then the other two days do the banish fat boost metabolism and killer abs videos, would I gain the muscle I need to get the flat tummy while toning? Also, how many calories should I eat per day? Oh and my body fat is currently 19%. I've reached my weight loss goal im just not sure what to do next to get the flat toned tummy. Any advice is appreciated :)

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You have to cut down on body fat %. Basically lose more weight or replace weight from body fat with muscle.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You have to cut down on body fat %. Basically lose more weight or replace weight from body fat with muscle.

yea that is pretty much impossible…you can't turn fat into muscle...
  • rissa94mak
    Options

So I do more strength training to replace the fat with muscle? I don't think it would be healthy for me to lose anymore weight.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Without proper dieting your P ratio will most likely suck and you'll never achieve a 6 pack. you gotta maintain your lean mass while losing fat... if you dont have the dedication to eat properly you'll never get there. As if that didn't suck enough, many dieting suggestions are blatantly wrong. Achieving low BF % and maintaining lean mass is not simple. It goes against your bodies will. You need to either have good genetics or strong determination or you never get there. If you have the will you'll find the way.

For starters, don't take advice about achieving low BF% from anyone who isn't "cut up" themselves. Sorry overweight people, its a whole different ball game going to "shredded" than it is to drop into a healthy weight range. The same tactics don't apply.

Nuff said. If you want it bad enough youll get it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Without proper dieting your P ratio will most likely suck and you'll never achieve a 6 pack. you gotta maintain your lean mass while losing fat... if you dont have the dedication to eat properly you'll never get there. As if that didn't suck enough, many dieting suggestions are blatantly wrong. Achieving low BF % and maintaining lean mass is not simple. It goes against your bodies will. You need to either have good genetics or strong determination or you never get there. If you have the will you'll find the way.

For starters, don't take advice about achieving low BF% from anyone who isn't "cut up" themselves. Sorry overweight people, its a whole different ball game going to "shredded" than it is to drop into a healthy weight range. The same tactics don't apply.

^

You need to want it.

For most of us mere mortals, it takes hard work to get and hard work to maintain.

It's easy to eff up trying to get really lean and lose too much muscle mass. If you haven't got the muscle mass, you'll look like a crappy squidgy smaller version of yourself. You can keep cutting and cutting, but what are you cutting to? Nothing good, that's for sure.

You need to think long term. Build a frame that's worthy of being revealed with a good lifting programme. Then cut sensibly by getting your diet on point with plenty of protein and a modest calorie deficit. Set aside a year or two to make it happen. Don't be afraid of putting on some fat and muscle by lifting in a surplus for a good chunk of time. Then cut. Then repeat. Until you like the end product.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

^

You need to want it.

For most of us mere mortals, it takes hard work to get and hard work to maintain.

It's easy to eff up trying to get really lean and lose too much muscle mass. If you haven't got the muscle mass, you'll look like a crappy squidgy smaller version of yourself. You can keep cutting and cutting, but what are you cutting to? Nothing good, that's for sure.

You need to think long term. Build a frame that's worthy of being revealed with a good lifting programme. Then cut sensibly by getting your diet on point with plenty of protein and a modest calorie deficit. Set aside a year or two to make it happen. Don't be afraid of putting on some fat and muscle by lifting in a surplus for a good chunk of time. Then cut. Then repeat. Until you like the end product.

^this

That's how I'm doing it. Ditch the cardio things, start heavy lifting. Eat like there is no tomorrow (250-450 cals above tree with lots of protein). Do that for about 3-6 months. Gain some muscle and some fat. Lose the fat while trying to hold on to the muscle.... Tada
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I locked your other thread since this posted.

The problem that you face, is at 5'8 and 123lbs, you are under weight. Cutting more weight will not provide you results because you do not have enough mass to give you abs. In fact, i have yet to see an under weight person with a good set of abs and this is a very common issue I see on this board. With that said, you probably need to add 10 or so lbs of mass. This means, you will need to do several bulk and cut phases, so you can get back to a normal weight. That means, you will need a good weight training program (you can start with 3 to 4 days of full body routines) and eat above your maintenance calories so you can gain weight. After 8-12 weeks, you can follow it with a cut realizing that about 50% of your weight gain will be new fat. You can not avoid it. You have to accept it and do cycles. You may have to repeat this 1-4 types depending how aggressive you go and how you like your results.

I would suggest spending some time researching the gaining weight section.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Stop doing videos. Lift weights and reduce body fat.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

The problem that you face, is at 5'8 and 123lbs, you are under weight. Cutting more weight will not provide you results because you do not have enough mass to give you abs. In fact, i have yet to see an under weight person with a good set of abs and this is a very common issue I see on this board. With that said, you probably need to add 10 or so lbs of mass. This means, you will need to do several bulk and cut phases, so you can get back to a normal weight. That means, you will need a good weight training program (you can start with 3 to 4 days of full body routines) and eat above your maintenance calories so you can gain weight. After 8-12 weeks, you can follow it with a cut realizing that about 50% of your weight gain will be new fat. You can not avoid it. You have to accept it and do cycles. You may have to repeat this 1-4 types depending how aggressive you go and how you like your results.

Well I wish you wouldn't present bulking and cutting cycles as the only way. It's not.

Bulking and cutting is very efficient in terms of time to reach your goal, but IMO quality of life suffers on the way.

An approach like leangains allows one to put on the mass gradually, while staying much leaner.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Well I wish you wouldn't present bulking and cutting cycles as the only way. It's not.

Bulking and cutting is very efficient in terms of time to reach your goal, but IMO quality of life suffers on the way.

An approach like leangains allows one to put on the mass gradually, while staying much leaner.

I agree in normal cases but in the case of someone who is already underweight, if not bordering on it, such as in the case of the OP, starting things out with a good bulk cycle is a better route.
  • pcastagner
    Options

Lol so used to people getting it wrong, but notice he said "replace", not "convert".

If I maintain my total mass, while becoming leaner, I have replaced fat mass with lean mass (weight).
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

^^^^^This!

You can't see abs if the muscle aren't there in the first place... To build muscle you need to "feed" them.

Good luck!
  • pcastagner
    Options

I agree in normal cases but in the case of someone who is already underweight, if not bordering on it, such as in the case of the OP, starting things out with a good bulk cycle is a better route.

I agree, assuming the subject is a machine.

But human beings are highly emotional. Some more than others (like me!). I just can't stand the love handles and man boobs when I bulk. I know I'm growing slower than I could be, but that is ok with me. The trade off is feeling good all the time.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Abs start in the kitchen. Eat properly (and a GOOD amount of calories), and workout to strengthen your core, maybe deadlifts, weighted crunches, and planks, but you can't really "spot reduce" without plastic surgery, which I'm not recommending :tongue: . It may take awhile, but they'll come around
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There is a poster here called BarbellGirl. She is currently doing a lean gain, where she lifts heavy and has a modest calorie surplus. She is gaining about 0.5 lb of muscle a week and her body fat has remained low (~17%). She has a thread on here, but I can't seem to find it...

Ah, here it is.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088730-female-bulking-advice-needed
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Lol so used to people getting it wrong, but notice he said "replace", not "convert".

If I maintain my total mass, while becoming leaner, I have replaced fat mass with lean mass (weight).

well I stand corrected then, as I misread...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

But human beings are highly emotional. Some more than others (like me!). I just can't stand the love handles and man boobs when I bulk. I know I'm growing slower than I could be, but that is ok with me. The trade off is feeling good all the time.
    It's really personal preference, but there are many women on here who have done the conventional bulk and haven't gain lots of love handles. But leangains is a viable option as well.
  • pcastagner
    Options

It's really personal preference, but there are many women on here who have done the conventional bulk and haven't gain lots of love handles. But leangains is a viable option as well.

I just wanted to make sure it was offered up as an alternative :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

I just wanted to make sure it was offered up as an alternative :)

It's definitely a viable one, but I think that because the OP is underweight they should probably focus on a bulk initially because they need to get weight up fairly quickly, not only for six pack but for medical reasons. Your experience with both traditional bulking and leangains definitely makes your input weigh heavily here. However, remember, you did not come from the perspective of someone who is legitimately underweight. That, I feel, changes things.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You are seriously going to tell someone who has lived on workout videos to do a bulk? You all are insane. That will last maybe 2 weeks before she jumps on the scale, freaks out and runs back to J.M. for some cardio repentance.

At most do a body recomp to get your feet wet. Also, I seriously doubt you are at that bf% for a female and don't have a better stomach than you are claiming unless you have the worlds worst ab genetics, been extremely overweight when you were younger or had kiddos (or at enough oats to make you want to puke when you got tested).