If you're sick do you still workout?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am about three pounds away from my goal weight so of course I am trying extra hard to get there. The thing is I am sick and I'm sure I'm going to have no desire to run tomorrow. I typically run about 5-6 miles a day and if I don't run I really do feel lazy. It's been awhile since I've been sick so honestly I can't remember if I worked out when I was sick. So, is working out when you're sick stupid or do you just power through it?

Replies

• aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It depends on how sick and when my last rest day was. I usually listen to my body, if I think I can make it ok I will but if I am exhausted I listen to my body and take a break.. Sometimes over working it undoes some of the work you have done. I do a lot of lifting now and if I over work my muscles wont recover like I need them to.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I probably should have mentioned my last rest day :). I'm not going to lie, I'm a little obsessed with working out so it's probably been about two months since my last rest day. I workout 7 days a week but some days I might just run 4-5 miles instead or my normal 5-6. Maybe me being sick is my bodies way of saying give me a break! At the same time I just don't want to be wimpy and not at least do something.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You're sick. Take a day off. You won't gain weight.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Three pounds away from goal weight? Sick? Obsessed with working out? No rest day for two months? Wondering if you should workout tomorrow?

Take a dang rest.
    Get better.
    Re-evaluate your goals and expectations.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Depends on what it is. If I'm going through a running phase, I'll walk instead of run but try to maintain the distance.

If there is a chance I'm contagious, I skip classes or gym sessions.

Really, you should just take a rest day (or two) and try to sleep it off and then get back on track when you're feeling better. If you really can't sit still, go for a walk with your headphones in. See if that meets your needs for a bit.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you already know the answer to your own question.

But I will share what my high school track coach said to me when I asked if I could do the scheduled 10-mile run while sick:

"You don't look stupid. Why are you asking me stupid questions?" :laugh:

In all seriousness, you should give yourself a break. Stop thinking this way about exercise before it becomes a problem.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If it's just a mild cold or something like that, yep. Anything worse than that and I take the day off.

That's with weights, though. I won't run if I just have a mild cold or even bad allergies. I'm miserable enough when I run.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hell no I rest, rest, rest!!!
  • ajcmoran2005
    Options
    Well I hardly slept last night because I felt so yucky and this morning I thought I would wake up feeling guilty about not running but I could honestly care less. It's actually a nice feeling not feeling guilty about not working out and I think my body will appreciate taking a day off. I admit that it is a little insane not taking a day off for two months so I will today. Thank you everyone!
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    Depends what's wrong. Respitory stuff I tend to stick to the old rule that if the symptons are all above the neck then I will workout, otherwise not. Pretty much anything gastro I'd rest, otherwise just play it by ear.... but I normally have at least 1 rest day a week and will swtich them round to accomodate an off day.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've learned never to work out when I'm genuinely physically sick or exhausted, because if I do, I'm going to be frustrated. And if I'm frustrated, I'm going to have an even harder time dragging myself to the next workout, even if I'm feeling better by then.
  • ajcmoran2005
    Options
    The flu is going around our kiddos school and I have it. I haven't thrown up yet thank goodness but I have a pretty high fever, awful body aches and a horrible cough. I absolutely hate having an achy body and a high fever. Honestly I would rather throw up then have all of these aches. It is the worst! Driving my kiddos to school this morning just hurt all over. I think if I tried to run I could make it about for five minutes and then I would just keel over. It isn't going to happen today.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I still workout I been sick all week and haven't missed a beat. I had my wisdom teeth took out last month I took one day off probably not to smart, but when you got the itch you gotta scratch it.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Being sick effects your whole body. If you do work out, chances are you're not going to be able to work out to your normal level which will frustrate you and make you want to work harder than your body can while it's sick. We have to take care of ourselves in every way - from eating healthy to working out, but that also means giving our bodies the appropriate amount of rest and TLC when it's asking for it. Being sick means your body needs help and over exerting it will only make things worse longer.

Take care of yourself in ALL ways.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Well I hardly slept last night because I felt so yucky and this morning I thought I would wake up feeling guilty about not running but I could honestly care less. It's actually a nice feeling not feeling guilty about not working out and I think my body will appreciate taking a day off. I admit that it is a little insane not taking a day off for two months so I will today. Thank you everyone!

Enjoy! :smile:
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    I ran a trapline for four hours and clleaned a chicken coop. Im currently coughing up a lung and wheezing like a chain smoker. But am i running or deadlifting? Hell no.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    you need a rest!! jeepers....2 months is a long time, training without a rest is stressful on your body. you might find some rest lets you say bye bye to those 3 lbs! :)

(usually though, if my illness is above my neck, I train. if it's below my neck I don't. ie, cold/runny nose = train. flu/bodyaches = no train. I don't do cardio though, weights for me. I think if I was a runner it might be different)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    I'm a baby. If I'm sick, I don't even get out of bed.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Depends on the extent of the sickness. If it's just a cold, I'll take some dayquill wait for it to kick in, and then workout. If I'm down with the FLU or something similar, I don't .