Soft foods

mamaDaisyJ
mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
edited September 21 in Recipes
I have some serious dental issues going on and it is getting more difficult to chew alot of food. I will be having extensive work done, and chewing will only get more difficult. I know I can manage to get my proteins through powders and beans and peanut butter and such. Carbs are a no brainer and fat comes along easy enough.
I only like certain veggies cooked though, like green beans, peas, and corn. I even order my broccoli at the restaraunt raw~ So, I guess I'm looking for ideas on how to keep my diet balanced and healthy while being soft and yummy. Sounds like a tall order to me... Some ideas I have so far ~

Kashi oatmeal with protein powder
smoothies with powder, my friend has recipe for spinach in one, otherwise its just fruit though
maybe a bean chili with lots of onions and bell peppers... does that count as a daily vegetable

The ways I get my veggies in now? celery and peanut butter, carrots and hummus, broccoli and ranch. See the problem? lol
Even green leaf salad hurt last night, so any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all~

Replies

• lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    I know that you said you aren't much into cooked veggies, but veggie soup would be a good option or roasting your veggies. I know most people boil veggies to death, but roasting them in the oven really brings out alot of flavor, it might be worth a try!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    I don't like many cooked veggies either. Do you have a juicer or could you get one? I would maybe try that. I have heard people love the V8 splashers things. I've not tried them, but the fruit covers the veggies apparently.

You can also take some veggies, mash them and incorporate them into other dishes - like a chili or soup.

I like tomoto based things as long as its not too tomato flavored - I would add some of the veggies to that like you said the chili.
  • shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    She has access to a juicer. She could come over to my house every few days and make her some juice to sip on. I am thinking about doing that myself because I don't like veggies for the most part. I have learned I can sneak a few in a smoothie and never taste it. Ohh daisy yes onions and bell peppers count as a veggie, as long as your eating them not just using them for flavor. *hugs Hope your teeth feel better :)
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    I don't think I have every tried roasting veggies, I will try that. Do they come out pretty soft that way? Which ones do you recommend roasting first?
    I also like the soup idea, its gonna get cold soon....I don't seem to eat much soup in the summer.
    And duh, anything with tomato sauce will have veggies huh. I like a couple of the splashers, but so many juices have strawberries and I'm allergic :( Homemade juice won't have all the junk the store stuff does either.
    I'm feeling a little less intimidated by the idea of soft foods diet~ Thanks so much.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Roasting vegetables: beets are wonderful, onions, too. Parsnips turn really soft, so they might be a good match, but I find them too sweet. I tend to roast vegetables in the winter, though, so I'm ready for root vegetables.

You might try sweet potatoes, if the beta cerotine taste doesn't turn you off (I'm not a fan, but my kids will eat them like they're going out of style.)

Lightly steamed spinach with lots of softened garlic? Roasted garlic?

You can barbeque tomatoes, mostly cooked potatoes, boiler onions (if you boil them briefly first, they're really soft and yummy cooked on the BBQ) and mushrooms...
This discussion has been closed.