I'm missing something...

Options
I'm not losing how i "think" i should be! I've been going to the gym 6x/wk for the past month. I see a personal trainer every Tuesday. This week was the 4wk mark, so we did a redo on measurements. I lost .5lbs and 4 inches. That doesn't seem like much at all for the effort that I've been putting in.

My diary is open to the public. I need to figure out where I'm failing at my weight loss :( I weigh everything, except individual packaged servings. I make a recipe for everything I cook at home. Everything i eat gets logged minus the occasional piece of gum.

Could it be the time of day I'm doing my gym work out...and how it input's it on MFP? My day is opposite most people. I work from 10p - 630a. Then I'll go to the gym and work out for an hour-2hrs depending on what I'm doing. I walk at least 10k steps everyday (except Sunday) and I'll do weights every day. Working on a different body part each day. But because i work out in the morning...the work out goes onto the next day for me. I think the only way to combat this would be to change my time to maybe +12 hrs so I'm eating and exercising in the "same day"

With all that I'm doing, i should be losing MUCH more than i have. Any suggestions would be helpful!!! Ohh, and bought myself a BodyMedia Fit for Christmas that i just started using on Sunday. Plus I've had the FitBit for almost 2 years now.

Replies

• kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I would like to help. I work nights (graveyard shift).
    Its your 4th week mark?
    if you didnt lose much weight but lost 4inches ( in waist?) thats great!
    you lift weights and walk? I wonder what are your workout set ups are.
    mesage me, I could porobably help you out.
  • GreatGrace
    GreatGrace Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of the 4 inches you've lost---surely you are replacing some fat with muscle. I can understand being frustrated with such a small scale loss though. I looked at your food diary and you are eating pretty healthy. My only question was, what do you have your daily calories set at w/o including exercise? If I was figuring it right it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 1850-2000 calories a day (before exercise)? Depending upon what your weekly goal for weight loss is you may have to adjust your settings? Again, way to get to the gym and congrats on losing 4 inches!
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I lost .5" in my hip 1" in my thigh 1"in my arm, and 1.5" in my chest. No change to my waist :(

I had it set to Lightly Active. Just upped it to the next setting above that, because that's what the BodyMedia has me at with walking at least 10k steps. So 1,730 cal/day w/o exercise
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    how do you determine your calories burnt? Or better yet, are you absolutely confident in it? Cause it sounds a little like you are not actually having a large enough calorie deficit, which can happen if you eat back overinflated exercise calories. I mean depending on how often you weigh yourself you might have just caught yourself on a high day.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You've lost 40 pounds according to your ticker, so you're doing great!

I'm guessing you mean 4 weeks for the exercising? Again, sounds like it's working just fine. You just want it to happen quicker.

Your diary's not bad, only thing I'd say is that your carbs are over every single day. Maybe you could look at the big hitters in there and try to reduce them.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing how i "think" i should be! I've been going to the gym 6x/wk for the past month. I see a personal trainer every Tuesday. This week was the 4wk mark, so we did a redo on measurements. I lost .5lbs and 4 inches. That doesn't seem like much at all for the effort that I've been putting in.

Indeed. The bright red number under carbs daily should perhaps be telling you something. I make the carrot juice 17g of carbs it's just a sugar solution really.

Don't know your stats and activity level but eating 1700-1900 calories for weight loss requires a good calorie burn in most women.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

My diary is open to the public. I need to figure out where I'm failing at my weight loss :( I weigh everything, except individual packaged servings. I make a recipe for everything I cook at home. Everything i eat gets logged minus the occasional piece of gum.

Could it be the time of day I'm doing my gym work out...and how it input's it on MFP? My day is opposite most people. I work from 10p - 630a. Then I'll go to the gym and work out for an hour-2hrs depending on what I'm doing. I walk at least 10k steps everyday (except Sunday) and I'll do weights every day. Working on a different body part each day. But because i work out in the morning...the work out goes onto the next day for me. I think the only way to combat this would be to change my time to maybe +12 hrs so I'm eating and exercising in the "same day"

With all that I'm doing, i should be losing MUCH more than i have. Any suggestions would be helpful!!! Ohh, and bought myself a BodyMedia Fit for Christmas that i just started using on Sunday. Plus I've had the FitBit for almost 2 years now.

Sounds like one of those people in 'in denial' mode. "Oh its so unfair. I am doing everything except logging my foods correctly and conveniently missing out those bits and pieces which make me go over my calorie intake. What's going on?!?! I should be on the verge of a size zero by now"
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can assure you it has nothing to do with denial. Everything i eat, i log. I'm not moaning or wining about it, just wanted to see what someone on the outside thought w/ my diary and what not. Thought maybe because this is a new workout, and i'm doing strength training that perhaps it could be my body holding onto the water i'm drinking. I don't log all the water i drink, but it's at least 84 oz a day.

The carb #'s are red because i chose to change my macros to a custom level to try and eat more protein. If i had it set as what MFP puts it then i'd be in the red for protein, and still green for carbs.

I think the BodyFit Media will help out a lot. I think the FitBit over estimated calories, which was probably my issue. I'd eat back calories i didn't actually burn. Although i do like the fitbit better for sleep. The BFM has me sleeping anytime i'm on the couch watching TV, unless i move my arm around.
  • eldamiano
    Options

Time of day for doing a gym workout? Never heard that one before.

You're telling yourself fibs. This is 9 times out of 10 the reason for it. You are probably not logging properly (i.e. a sauce that you pop on to the side of a plate, tasting something while cooking to see if it is ok, something else which you dont find relevant, or overestimating your exercise levels).
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I would swap out some of the carbs for a higher protein intake. I think that would make you feel more satisfied and not need to eat as many snacks. Most of the meals that I looked at in your diary don't have real meats--only cottage cheese and deli lunchmeat and whey protein. Try adding in some chicken, fish, or beef. As I understand it protein intakes suggested by MFP are minimums.

Good luck and great job on keeping up your workout routine!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The carb #'s are red because i chose to change my macros to a custom level to try and eat more protein. If i had it set as what MFP puts it then i'd be in the red for protein, and still green for carbs.

I'ma bit confused... if you want to eat more protein, you need to eat less carbs and or fat, or you are just eating more calories all together!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I see days in your diary with thousands of calories added for exercise. Is that based on your Fitbit or Body Media or what?

I find that adding intense strength training can stall weight loss for months. It's water and the scale will eventually 'catch up'.

Ignore the sarcastic and rude dude. He's proven repeatedly he doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree about reducing carbs and increasing protein (especially lean proteins), especially since you've added strength training. I had lost the majority of my weight through diet and some cardio. Once I added strength training, my weight loss stalled for a while. My body just seems to take a while to adjust to anything new I do. I know 4 weeks seems like a really long time when you've been working so hard, but it isn't really that long. Unfortunately plateau's happen. Keep at it, adjust your macros and the results will come.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    weight loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym. however, building muscles and aerobic capacity happens in the gym. I bet you look very different after all this hard work, and that plus the health benefits you are reaping ought to make you happy!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I did a general look over your diary, and honestly you aren't that bad off. And the carbs thing, yeah you are over most days, but not by a huge amount and honestly, in the end a calorie deficit is where the money is.

In honestly, your body may have just slowed down and might be catching up on inches. I have gone a month at a time with not losing weight, but losing inches. And if you have been used to losing 2 lbs a week, you might have lost enough that you need to lower your weight loss expectations to maybe only 1 lb a week (this is a good thing!). Remember, losing isn't linear. You might lose 4 lbs one month, then the next month lose 0 lbs but lose 2 inches. Keep going, you are doing great.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Exercise can make you put on several pounds of water weight and hold on to it indefinitely. Just ignore the number and go with the measurements until you catch up to where you think you should be on the scale.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    I see days in your diary with thousands of calories added for exercise. Is that based on your Fitbit or Body Media or what?

I find that adding intense strength training can stall weight loss for months. It's water and the scale will eventually 'catch up'.

Ignore the sarcastic and rude dude. He's proven repeatedly he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Haha. Thanks for the compliment. Many more random accusations to come I hope. Given that I have only posted on these forums a handful of times you will have problems backing up your claim that I have been 'proven repeatedly that I dont know what I am talking about'. Well given that I am someone that lost 2.5 stone in 6 months and knowing what I ate before, during and after, please put your ignorant accusations to one side.

What has been shown on television is that many people fail to lose weight because they are in denial about what they eat. Make what you want about whether it is genuine, but it clearly replicates in what people post on here.

"Oh my friend eats so much every day and doesnt put on any weight but look at poor me who just eats the same"
    "I have stuck to my diet plan but I cant lose any weight. Could it be my metabolism"

The above is often proved by experiment (obviously the same doesnt apply to every single human being) that people are in denial about what they eat, blame metabolism, bemoan their 'luck' in comparison to friends, dont realise what they are eating, forget to put things into their food diary which seem irrelevant.....

Then they only realise when it hits home. "I ate 100 calories while tasting whether the food is cooked enough. Oh no, my metabolism was better than I told myself".....
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's telling that you knew exactly who I meant by 'the sarcastic and rude dude'.

You've posted that you burn 20 calories a minute running. That eating fat is what makes you fat. And that WW is a scam because some UK 'documentary' said so. To me that's enough to show you don't know what you think you know. Others may draw their own conclusions. The sarcasm probably doesn't help your believability.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Haha. Thanks for the compliment. Many more random accusations to come I hope. Given that I have only posted on these forums a handful of times you will have problems backing up your claim that I have been 'proven repeatedly that I dont know what I am talking about'. Well given that I am someone that lost 2.5 stone in 6 months and knowing what I ate before, during and after, please put your ignorant accusations to one side.

What has been shown on television is that many people fail to lose weight because they are in denial about what they eat. Make what you want about whether it is genuine, but it clearly replicates in what people post on here.

"Oh my friend eats so much every day and doesnt put on any weight but look at poor me who just eats the same"
    "I have stuck to my diet plan but I cant lose any weight. Could it be my metabolism"

The above is often proved by experiment (obviously the same doesnt apply to every single human being) that people are in denial about what they eat, blame metabolism, bemoan their 'luck' in comparison to friends, dont realise what they are eating, forget to put things into their food diary which seem irrelevant.....

Then they only realise when it hits home. "I ate 100 calories while tasting whether the food is cooked enough. Oh no, my metabolism was better than I told myself".....

I've read the same thing, it's true, it has to be, you aren't going to gain weight in a deficit, there is that whole law of thermodynamics thing. However there is also a genetic component. Some people are very lucky and just don't want to overeat, ever. They don't count calories, their bodies perfectly regulate intake versus output. And then there are the rest of us.