Snack ideas for afternoon tea

Options
I seem to be starving at afternoon tea time, what do you have to eat for your afternoon snack, I normally have banana and yoghurt but a hour later I am starving again- pm I eat around 400 cals before I am satisfied. Breakfast is around 250, morning snack around 200, lunch around 350 - am I eating enough during the day, is that why I maybe starving at afternoon tea? I would appreciate your ideas pls

Replies

• colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating higher protein meals/snacks in the morning and afternoon? They keep you full for longer.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What are you having for lunch? Protein will keep you feeling fuller longer, sugar and carbs will lead to a crash soon after (so the banana and yoghurt would not be my choice)

Have you tried a cup of herbal tea? Broth?
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with eating more protein earlier in the day, I find that around the afternoon, eating sweet yogurt or fruit leaves me really hungry
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    (Please excause my English. I´m not a native speaker)

Maybe you get hungry because it was your habbit to have food around that time.
    I have about 2 snacks each day. That way I won´t starve

I like to eat one turtle from Nestle (90Kcal each) around 4. That way I have something sweet and I won´t get hungry untill dinner around 8pm

Fruit/Veggiewise I tried many things and I cam to the conclusion that one apple (about 84Kcal) fill me up best.

So maybe you should try to have more little snacks during the day =)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs are great for snacks
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend eating a bigger breakfast and lunch, incorporating plenty of protein and fat. That'll keep you satisfied longer, and you may not need the snacks at all!

If you need a snack because you're starving, go for more protein and fat - it'll likely keep you more satisfied than fruit/carbs.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    eggs. some fruits that you can dip in PB...v i usually have that or some fruit...or i make myself a shake :D
  • what_lola_wants
    what_lola_wants Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    apple with peanut butter!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You're probably starving because a banana and yogurt are both high in (natural) sugar, so your blood sugar drops in about an hour after that, making you feel hungry.

Go for proteins and fats, for longer lasting satiety. Walnuts and other nuts, eggs and cottage cheese, hummus, peanuts or peanut butter, sesame spread or tahina.
  • ishi1xp
    Options
    If you want to feel more full and satisfied throughout the day my advice to you would be to eat food with alot of Fibre like beans, oranges, plumps, peaches or any fruits for that matter because fruit have simple sugar that don't spike up your sugar levels and are low in calories aswell [food from GOD! ^_^] and drink alot of water with them so that you feel fuller

Another tip is that make sure you get them healthy fats in your diet from olive oil, nuts, avocados etc.. cause fats are the nutrients that are responsible for the satisfactory feeling that you get after u eat a food, Its a common mistake that people who want to lose weight.. will cut off fat from their diet all together.. This is a big NO NO!
    Its not the fat that makes you fat... its the overall excess consumption of calories and unhealthy fats like TRANS FATS that makes a person overweight..

so the last tip I would give you is something that I've do sometimes when i am hungry. At night I take 20 almonds, salt free of course, munch on them and drink about a glass or two of water and go to sleep makes me satisfied =]
  • loveisblind1
    Options
    I eat nuts, hard boiled eggs, slices of Turkey breast, or oats
  • Denis1404
    Options
    Boiled eggs are great for snacks

Ditto that. I always have a stash for the ready : )
  • Denis1404
    Options
    If you want to feel more full and satisfied throughout the day my advice to you would be to eat food with alot of Fibre like beans, oranges, plumps, peaches or any fruits for that matter because fruit have simple sugar that don't spike up your sugar levels and are low in calories aswell [food from GOD! ^_^] and drink alot of water with them so that you feel fuller
    I agree with the beans (as well as earlier posts of more protein) however fruit contains sugar and while a simple (natural) sugar and is easily digested it contains high levels of fructose which definitely spikes insulin levels. BTW bananas are highest and strawberries the lowest.
    I would also be careful of eating 20 almonds and would limit the number to about 6.
    Just my honest opinion but losing consistently by not eating any fruit and lots of protein and legumes.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating higher protein meals/snacks in the morning and afternoon? They keep you full for longer.

^^^ definitely this

and also check that your calorie goal is giving you enough calories to fuel your body properly (including all your exercise/activity calories) because if you're not eating enough, you will be hungry, and timing of snacks won't make much difference.
  • Zenjaeie
    Options
    I used to be STARVING for my afternoon snack, but then I MAJORLY upped my lunch calories and now I'm not even hungry by my usual dinner time. Studies have shown that a medium breakfast, big lunch and small dinner work better for some people, and this seems to be true for me. Try it out? Adding complex carbs (I love oat breads, oatmeal, what have you) and protein to your lunch can up your calories the right way- by keeping you full.
  • angeel01
    angeel01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Jaeie, how many calories do you allow for lunch?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I eat bigger meals too, and that keeps me sated for the most part. I do have a go-to snack that's usually part of my day - a big cup of frozen yogurt. But for OP, I'd suggest something more protein-dense - a turkey sandwich... ham/cheese/crackers... apple or celery with peanut butter... Things like these can easily come in under 300-400 calories and are satisfying for a nice long time.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I find cashews or other nuts are fantastic. Especially with a little kefir or yogurt or milk (like 4 oz). Protein holds me until dinner.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I agree with the beans (as well as earlier posts of more protein) however fruit contains sugar and while a simple (natural) sugar and is easily digested it contains high levels of fructose which definitely spikes insulin levels. BTW bananas are highest and strawberries the lowest.
    I would also be careful of eating 20 almonds and would limit the number to about 6.
    Just my honest opinion but losing consistently by not eating any fruit and lots of protein and legumes.

Why do you suggest being careful of eating 20 almonds? And why do you recommend 6? Surely you can eat as many as you like as long as they fit in to your macros? I could eat 185g of almonds a day if I wanted...I can think of a whole lot more exciting ways to get my 100g of fat though...