jogging question

Options
I am wanting to train to do a 5km and I would like to do it in under 30min. My fastest atm is 39:35. This was done by moving my speed up and down. My question is would it be more beneficial to me and my goals to try and jog at a slower consistent pace for the duration of my run or alternate speeds between fast walking jogging etc to cit the time down?

Replies

• 6ronXtreme9
    6ronXtreme9 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    try c25k app.it will help u to reach you're goal.good luck!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Since you can already run 5k, the best thing you can do to improve your race times will be to gradually increase average weekly mileage.

5 kilometers is an aerobic event. You build your aerobic capacity by running more miles. Longer runs at a consistent aerobic pace are most important right now. If you feel the need to increases and decrease speed all the time it means you are sometimes running too fast.

This is a group that has helped me a lot in the last year (I ran my first 5k last December and gradually added distance until running my first marathon this fall):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/111-long-distance-runners
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    And another vote for increasing your base mileage, and build in some pace increases.

If you use Runkeeper there are a couple of programmes on there that should help you get to a sub-30 5K
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Tempo runs really improved my speed! I do one once a week.

http://m.active.com/running/articles/4-tempo-run-workouts-to-tune-up-your-training
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Is there a ParkRun near you? These are timed 5km runs at local parks every Saturday morning - great incentive, goodcompany, well run.

To answer your question - do both. Do at least one long run a week, and continue your speed intervals. Also do some strength training (push ups and squats for starters)
  • SSAHM
    SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes I need to start strength training again so will try and incorporate that soon. I did do c25k to start me off but I'm ready to go at my own pace now. I can't run a full 5km yet sometimes I walk. I can run 20min straight which works out to be 2-2.5km on the treadmill. I actually find it easier to jog outside I can run at a faster pace more comfortably. I think I really need to push past the mind barrier while on the treadmill. Unfortunately I can't run outside very often due to kids. I think I might do a couple of slower consistent paced runs a week and a couple of interval training sort of run/walk things plus strength training. Would that be beneficial to helping me with being able to increase my running speed to do a 5km in under 30min?
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    If you're not running a full 5k yet you really need to work on that before speed. I suggest you do 3 runs a week. One steady 20 minute run regular pace. One 31 min run where you run 10 mins easy, then do 1 minute fast interval and two minute slow intervals twice, run easy 5 mins. One long run where you run 25 mins.

Add 5 mins to each run each week, take a break week 5 and do your original run. Don't overtrain or you'll really slow down.

Edited to say on the interval run, you can add 1 more fast slow interval a week and 2 mins to the end of your run.