Nail Salon in GA charges "overweight" surcharge for pedicure

2»

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Charge the person who breaks it $2,500 ... I've always understood "you break it, you buy it". She didn't break it so...
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    That is absolutely insane. I hope they do lose their business over their actions. How rude can you be? Why would you pay $2,500 for a chair that only holds 200lbs when the majority of women are close if not over? That's just stupid.
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    That is indeed outragious. You can understand the logic. But surely the chairs breaking is an overhead cost and should be accounted for across the board and intergrated into all prices...but also, if the chairs have a weight limited, then why let overweight people use them at all? Shouldn't they explain that the chairs aren't suitable, and then it is up to the individual customer to choose to use them or not? If they choose to use the chairs anyway then charge them..

this is what i was thinking as well. A responsible business owner would budget for for regular chair maintenence and have a different solution for their overweight customers. lets face it, there are more and more Americans that weigh more than 200 pounds. perhaps the salon owner should be looking into a more accomodating chair as well.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    The Fox Network affiliate in my area just had a story about this on their local news program. The salon owner looks like she weighs less than 100 lbs. and would blow away in a good wind.:noway:

The customer was interviewed and stated she thought they should post their policy so that customer's would know ahead of time what to expect.

I agree with prior posters that this is an outrageous policy. Now that the story has hit the tv news, I don't think the salon is going to benefit from the negative publicity.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I don't know what to think of this............Airlines do this all the time also.

I understand where they are coming from. I just researched this on another website and the highest weight capacity I saw is 250 pounds.

Also, I see in the future that there is a push for people to lose weight. Let's face it. For one reason or another............America is getting fatter and fatter.

I refuse to be among those statistics any more.
  • For everyone complaining and saying they should sue, do you also complain about airlines having weight restrictions per seat? Seems a little silly to me to go so up in arms about it. If anything, it should just be more motivation to live a healthier lifestyle. Use it for personal motivation, not silly anger.
  • Hrm, double post, sorry.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    For everyone complaining and saying they should sue, do you also complain about airlines having weight restrictions per seat? Seems a little silly to me to go so up in arms about it. If anything, it should just be more motivation to live a healthier lifestyle. Use it for personal motivation, not silly anger.

Yep, I kind of said the same thing...............

i hate to be the devil's advocate, but we are going to start seeing this more and more in America..

Face it, fat people cost more all the way around. I am sorry to be so blunt about it, but it is the cold, hard truth.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    The big assumption problem I have after reading the article is that they are assuming all chair replacements are being caused by overweight women getting their nails done. What about general/regular wear and tear from just people in general? Are they charging more for people who bring their kids in (since sometimes kids will bounce around in the chairs)?

If they want to raise their fees, just flat out raise their fees to cover their overhead costs. And are they weighing each woman who comes in to determine who is over 200lbs and who isnt? Looks can be decieving.

But the bottom line is the store has the right to do what they want (in my opinion). BUT as consumers I have the right to not patronize the store.
This discussion has been closed.