Bodybuilding.com or Stronglifts 5x5?

Options
Just getting back into lifting... I concentrated on mostly cardio this past summer and fall. I've lifted off and on in the past on my own but now I'm really trying to concentrate on incorporating more of an actual program into my routine, with logs, rather than just random lifting as I feel like it.

I have looked at both websites and settled on a program from bodybuilding.com. Is this a good one for beginners? I'll be doing my 4th and final workout from Week 1 tonight and so far I really like it. However, people in a lot of different threads have been saying that a beginner should be doing full body workouts. I've never done this, even when I lifted in the past, as I like doing split workouts, different days.

Any thoughts? I'm assuming I just need to stick with it for a while then re-evaluate in about 6 weeks to see if it's still working.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Traditional wisdom is that full body is good for beginners. Bro splits can get a bit bogged down in isolation exercises sometimes, I think. As long as you like the program, are progressing, and are doing the big, compound lifts, you're fine to continue if it's getting you what you want.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I vote Stronglifts for a few rounds, when you stop making gains and your progress slows, then consider moving to a bodybuilding split routine, or 5/3/1 programming, depending on your goals at that time.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts or similar (Starting Strength, etc) if you're a beginner. The programs at bodybuilding.com are tailored for people who a) have the luxury of being able to go to the gym 5-6 days a week (as most require 5-6 days a week and take advantage of a variety of equipment you will only find at a gym) and b) have already built up the kind of base that Stronglifts and Starting Strength were designed for.
  • trickduffin
    trickduffin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I say neither, and to check this out.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/

This has the most accurate info I've seen for detailing the why's and such.

Good Luck!
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or some variation of it.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    In the past I've run a five day split more for hyper than anything else.
    Currently on week 11 of SL 5x5 and enjoying strength gains.
    Advantages of SL (or any beginner) is you start light and can really concentrate on form. You have to check the ego at the door though.
    I'm 5'11" and when I started I was 188lbs. I started with the 45lb barbell on all the lifts except bench (former bench monkey right here). I didn't care what people thought and it certainly helped to be able to focus on correct form.
    Three days a week, alternating weekly compounds, in and out of the gym in under an hour. I was debating on continuing on with SL or switching to 531. Either will continue on strength but I'm almost to the point the where I will not be able to make the gains on SL anymore where with 531 the gains will come but slower.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is a resource for tons of workouts including stronglifts and many variations. Can you post the targeted routine?
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Check out Jason Blaha's 5x5 Novice Program!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You'll get results either way.

Stronglifts is a strength program, not an aesthetic one like the bodybuilding programs offer with higher volume.
  • DannyProsser
    DannyProsser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out Jason Blaha's 5x5 Novice Program!
    This.