Benching

Options

Replies

• JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    130....By Feb I should master that. I tried to up it to 90 yesterday, but my pecs were too sore. Tomorrow...more weight. :smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you're benching every other day?
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    No, just other work outs. Push ups, Chest fly's...but not near the weight from when I bench. I'm also a massage therapist, and that believe it or not uses pecs.
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    As long as you are getting stronger and healthier there is no need to worry. You don't need to impress anyone :)
    Yes, I know. I'm just trying to impress myself. :smile:
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

Is benching every other day too much?
  • JagerLewis
    Options

I hear you're supposed to do it every 3 days.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    If you can bench you're own body weight you are doing really well! It's something that all beginners should aim for and something that most gym users will never achieve!
  • DavPul
    Options

probably not, if that's all you're doing for chest. i do 3-5 exercises for each chest workout, so i take much longer to recover. that said, even if i did just one exercise per bodypart and followed a full body/3x per week routine, i'd probably do a different exercise for chest on consecutive workouts. bench, dbs, incline, dips, etc.

but probably nothing wrong with it the other way.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm wondering what I should be able to bench press? As of right now, I'm only able to bench 80# 5X. What should I work up to?
    It's very individual, of course, but me personally? I've got the rest of my life, so... whatever I can reach between now and then. That's my goal.
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    If you can bench you're own body weight you are doing really well! It's something that all beginners should aim for and something that most gym users will never achieve!
    Awesome goal to make!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    As others have noted, bragging rights for men usually start @ being able to bench bodyweight. I notice men seem impressed any time a woman can bench 100 lbs or more (although a smaller amt for short, small-framed women, obviously).

Me? I bench 230 lbs x 6 to 8 And yeah that gets some looks.

That said, I'm hardly at my goal weight OR fitness, but benching is my favorite stress reducer! So YMMV, just enjoy :-)
  • DavPul
    Options
    As others have noted, bragging rights for men usually start @ being able to bench bodyweight. I notice men seem impressed any time a woman can bench 100 lbs or more (although a smaller amt for short, small-framed women, obviously).

That said, I'm hardly at my goal weight OR fitness, but benching is my favorite stress reducer! So YMMV, just enjoy :-)

C5xtvSc.gif
  • JagerLewis
    Options

You rock!!!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Ok, for this, is it total reps in one set, or total reps in a single workout?
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    Ok, new years resolution will be to bench my body weight at some point in 2014
    I'm in with you on that one!!!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    315 x 12

come back when you have that down

Can I come back when I get to 8-10 reps instead?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me my physique doesn't scream that I'm a weakling when it comes to bench. Even at my peak, my best for a single was only 245lbs at a weight of about 185lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^this