Being Sabotaged by Myself

Options
So as usual S*** Happens as they say. Now I know that Life will happen and that things will be coming up that are part of life and I have to deal, but its like fate is ALWAYS playing this game personally, professionally, and financially and saying "oh things are going good for her, lets throw some crap balls her way again and unbalance everything she has worked for or is working for." I then start thinking, is what I'm doing really worth it, is it really worth the headaches and stress of trying to balance and succeed personally, professionally, and financially?? Often times I find that I tell myself that it's not and I fall into the same old routine of eating what I want, when I want just to self soothe and getting no form of activity because I just don't want to deal with anything any more. Hence, I feel that I am allowing myself to sabotage myself because of life's events..I had been watching what I ate, logging everything (no matter how good or bad), and doing some form of cardio daily no matter the circumstance. I haven't gained anything yet, but I also have not lost more than a few ounces in the last 2 weeks.. How do you break this cycle???

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It’s rough, but you have to buckle down and dedicate yourself. For me, the key is always to set a goal with consequences. Some people like dietbet.com, wherein you put up money and everyone who makes their goal gets the money of those who give up. Personally, I hate to be embarrassed, so I use this. When I decided to get in shape, I signed up for and paid for a 5k race ahead of time. At the time, I could barely run half a mile without collapsing into a gasping heap, but I stuck to my running plan because I couldn’t stomach the thought of giving up halfway through the race and letting everyone know I couldn’t do it. I got a little off-track the last two months, so I signed up for a Tough Mudder in April. I’ve been focused on getting in shape and eating right because I have a 10+ mile obstacle race bearing down on me. Find what motivates you and use that.
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    you recognize it, then you stomp your foot and clench your right fist (yes really do this) and then you stop it - by replacing that behavior with a healthy one. starting now. cause you deserve it.
  • ahmurphy
    ahmurphy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on your self. We all fall off the wagon when it comes to fitness and nutrition from time to time and particularly when life and it's challenges get in the way. The key is to write down your fitness goal and perhaps 5 things you can do to make it happen. First, find a workout program with a set schedule for you to follow. One that balances cardio and strength building will help you burn fat but also create lean muscle. The more muscle you have the faster your metabolism will burn. Two: log your exercise and your food here on MFP daily. That way you know where you are all during the day. The phone app for this is great if you are out and about all day. Three: Find a group to share with each and every day for accountability and support. Even if you blow your diet or skip a workout, check in and you will find like-minded folks to get you back on track. And then Four: put a fitness challenge on your calendar a few months in the future. Maybe it's a charity walk or your first 5K or maybe a bike ride. Whatever appeals to YOU. THen when you are wavering, knowing you have a deadline can also keep you motivated. These strategies have really worked for me. I never even ran a mile before about three years ago and recently I completed a triathlon!!! Friend me here on MFP if you would like some more advice on how to keep on track and motivated along your way. And GOOD LUCK. You can do it.
  • minisnee09
    Options
    Every day is a new day. If you back track one day don't beat yourself up over it too much because that could be more harmful. Some things I have done to help get my *kitten* in gear has helped. I still struggle with the portion control tho. I used very bright colorful sticky notes and wrote down sayings, and reasons as to why I want to get in shape and be healthy. I have a bunch in our bathroom by the mirror, on the fridge, in my car and on the cabinets in the kitchen. I also have a calendar in my bathroom with a count down of days until my friends wedding ( I don't want to be embarrassed by how I look and how uncomfortable I feel in photos). I mark off each day. I have a count up of how many days I get to the gym on the same calendar. I use a dry erase marker and write down my weight every Tuesday on the mirror. To add to all of this I took the time and looked up motivational quotes. I set them in my phone for every single day and the reminders go off around the time I go to the gym. Because let's face it, the end of a work day nobody really wants to go to the gym yet alone on the weekends. All these things have help me stay focused. Now of course I still need some work and these things may not help everyone. But you could give them a try!! Good luck and you can also friend me on here. I'm always looking to stay motivated with others in the same boat!
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow. Are you me?

I started slipping before Thanksgiving and have not been entirely on track since. Thankfully, I have only gained 1.8 pounds. But, like you, I am concerned. And today, after an uneven record of logging on for a few weeks, I decided to journal and check the board for inspiration.

Just knowing that someone else is having the same struggle makes me feel less alone.

I started this morning by weighing, considering what's been different in my life this past few weeks (I have been very busy with lots of obligations to different people) and thinking about what I was going to eat today before grabbing anything. I poured some holiday cocktails down the drain because I've been sipping one each evening without counting it. And once I have one, I feel looser and more snack happy.

All I know to do is what has worked for me before. Choose healthy foods that I actually like to eat, allow myself to rest for the day (because the stress of being really busy triggers eating for me), drink some water (I like a warm cup of lemon water in winter) journal what I eat and look to the boards for inspiration. Like yours.

Thanks for being honest enough to say what I was feeling, Just knowing someone else is fighting the same battle helps me. Hope we can all be here for your shift back to what was working for you.
  • smokeytex74
    Options
    Thank you all for the motivation and tips. I takes a lot for me to be open about what I feel and am glad to know that I can voice what others may also be feeling. I will work on getting back on the wagon and riding this pony we call life with as much dignity as I can.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Dear Smokey,

Sorry that life is throwing you lots of curved balls at the moment and that has caused you to slip 'off the wagon'.....you have had some really great responses and you are obviously not alone in finding that there are times when getting everything to fall into perfect place is impossible.

One thing that I found useful was thinking along the lines of "Well others stuff is going to *kitten*.....so the very least I can do is look after myself nutritionally and exercise wise". It was really for me a case of mentally rising above those things in life that I could control and accepting those that I can't.

Everything else may have been going down-hill but at least I had this little island of certainty....Was I perfect, Absolutely not.....but thinking this way did help.

Wishing you all the very best and that life gives you a break!!!!
    Karen :flowerforyou:
  • smokeytex74
    Options
    Thanks Karen
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hence, I feel that I am allowing myself to sabotage myself because of life's events.

The first step in fixing a problem is recognizing the problem.

Sounds like you're on your way! :smile:
  • ahmurphy
    ahmurphy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The holidays are a difficult time for everyone. We have a lot of pressure at work as the year-end closes in, the crush of holiday planning and prep and parties, coupled with events that all seem about eating and not healthy eating at that. While it can be hard to stick to clean eating and working out given all of those competing demands, year-end is a great time to set some goals for the New Year and make a game plan like the one I outlined for smokeytex74 for how you can reach those goals in 2014. I am putting together a group on Facebook to share ideas, provide accountability and motivation and just generally support each other to reach our fitness and nutrition goals staring in January. Send me a friend request her on MFP if you want to hear more.
  • smokeytex74
    Options
    Hence, I feel that I am allowing myself to sabotage myself because of life's events.

The first step in fixing a problem is recognizing the problem.

Sounds like you're on your way! :smile:

Thanks
  • helena_jj
    helena_jj Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Just remember why you decided to get in shape. You are lucky if your reasons are still valid. Then forget the last two weeks and start doing the same you were doing previously. Start doing it right now. Not next Monday, not tomorrow, but right now. And everything will be ok!
  • smokeytex74
    Options
    Thank you