thyroid problem

Options
anybody out there that has problems with losing weight and thyroid problems....very frustrated:frown:

Replies

• SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Hi Misty

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism almost 10 years ago.

Losing and/or maintaining weight is a constant battle for me. I swear I can gain weight by just looking at food.

I started following an eating program that works on balancing your hormones and that has really helped me. The author is a ND and also has hypothyroidism. I'm new and not sure if I can post the name of the book on here.

Karen
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism / Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and am on 137mcg Synthroid per day. I take my meds on an empty stomach with water and do not eat for another 30 minutes after I take the Synthroid. My Doctor says eating food at the same time interferes with Synthroid's ability to help my thyroid.

I have had no problems losing weight on this site.
    - I watch my sodium
    - drink lots of water
    - eat fruits and veggies
    - walk fast.

Hope that helps.
  • MelloT
    MelloT Posts: 4
    Options
    check out SEAN from http://undergroundwellness.com/
    he will surely point u in the right direction.
  • dmstephens
    Options
    Yes I had my thyroid removed last year and have been on the pink pill since. I gained about 20 pounds over the year and was not doing a good job eating healthy food. When I found this website it helped my better track food and exercise. I have been able to lose 9 pounds in about three months. So it can be slow but I have stopped believing it is the medicine causing me to gain wait but the food I eat. I subscript to Mary Shomon - About.com Thyroid Disease Guide and have been able to get more helpful information and know I am Not alone with my weight and thyroid issues. It can be very frustrating but please keep trying. Take Care!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. It started over 4 years ago and it took almost a year to balance my medication for hypothirodism. Being a small woman a 5 to 10 lbs weight increase is huge for me and dieting gave very little results. I was feeling tired too so it was hard to excercise.

I wish I had known about this website because tracking what I eat is very helpful, so is reading other members' comments.

Ask your doctor to also evaluate free T3 and T4 besides your TSH, it could be that the TSH value is normal and toward the low end, but the other two are not, so you will still feel bad and gain weight. I am in very low dose of two medications, one is the generic for Synthroid (Levothyroxine), and the other is the generic for Cytomel (Liothyroxine).

My doctor checks my thyroid levels every year, and more often if needed. I am doing better now, have more energy, I excercise five times a week and I am losing weight. Four lbs more to go.

Good luck, hang in there and take your medication as prescribed.
  • jamiesoulshine
    Options
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed with Graves Disease beg of 2004 and my thyroid was killed off end of 2004. I have gained 60 lbs since then. I understand your frustration. I'm on my first big serious kick to lose the weight. Watch the sodium as someone else has said (I also havbe high BP) exercise and be religious about taking synthroid at same time every day on empty stomach, and don't eat for an hour. I take mine as soon as I wake up. By the time I'm done with shower, dressing and checking in at Facebook, Im ready to eat. I usually wait till I get to work though and have a slimfast or yogurt or cereal then though. You are not alone in this frustration.
  • lbutler74
    Options
    I am a married mother of one ornery 4.5 year old daughter. My thyroid issues are due to my Father had Hyperthyroidism Graves. SO surprise I got the graves. I had my thyroid blasted with half of what a cancer patient gets and supposed to kill it. But that was in 2002-03. Now is 2010 I can not keep my levels straight extreme hyper one month the other way the next. I get migraines and vomit blood I am a mess. Finally got a appointment with cleveland clinic and they swear to help me.....we will see.

As far as weight I weighed 150 when my husband and I got married in June of 2002. Now I am just shy of 220. I have went all the way up to 250 but never again.

Would love to weigh 150 again some day.

Lorie
  • jacksonalan
    Options
    A neck injury led to blood work which discovered a very underactive thyroid and very high glucose levels. I have been taking 1 tablet (.05MG) of Levothyroxine, which is a generic of Synthroid. I could not get below a plateau despite fast walking 8 miles per day.

I was about 216 when I started the fast walking program last summer and an injury around Labor Day forced me off the track at a weight of about 205. Eventually, the cause led to ruptured disc in my neck being repaired. I was 213 at the time of the surgery.

I found this site two weeks ago and started at 208. With this guidance and my medication controlling my thyroid and sugar, I weighed in at 194 this morning.... a weight I haven't seen in about 15 years. I was 175 in high school... 35 years ago. I have also been eating a low-carb diet for the past two weeks.... not as strict as Atkins. I have been eating eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast, chicken or hamburger for dinner, and cole slaw salad for lunches. Snacks include pepperoni sticks, low carb yogurt and some block cheeses.... and plenty of fluids.

I found that getting my *kitten* out of bed before the crack of dawn and strapping on the iTouch and an Omron 3-axis pedometer keeps me entertained and gives me proper mileage and a good calorie burn number.

Also... eat your calories burned. Don't put your body into starvation mode.
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have had thyroid problems all of my life. at 3 I had 80% removed and have been on medication ever since.two years ago I quit taking medication as I had lost my job and couldn't afford the blood tests I had ballooned to 247lbs. I am now taking 200mcg daily and will be going back to the Dr. to test to see if I need a different dosage. My Dr started me at 200mcg since that is what I was taking when I quit. It has always been a struggle but it is possible. I have lost 27lbs and will attempt to get closer to my ideal weight. I have been losing steadily so far but I'm sure the plateau will appear sooner or later.
    Good luck on your journey.
  • SuzyBoghani
    Options
    Absolutely,
    I have been struggling with it for about 10 years. The only thing that seems to help is more exercise in the aerobic area. I have to have two jolts of caffeine to get me going in the A.M. but usually if I get to the gym, I can burn off some of the excess calories that I have been taking in. My only suggestion is to just keep trying and it will get better.
  • firstdaughter
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism / Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and I am on 225 mcg daily. That is a good idea about taking the meds
    on an empty stomach. I do find that it takes me a while to start losing. It is almost as if I have to restart my metabolism each
    time I begin a new diet. I would love to read the infor on eating/dieting for someone with our issues. Thanks
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I have been informed (thanks Maggie) that I can post the name of the book that I read and follow and have great success with. It is called The Hormone Diet by Dr. Natasha Turner ND. Dr. Turner also has hypothyroidism. Here is a link to her website http://www.thehormonediet.com.

Dr. Turner has a quote that I just love "Some people believe they have to lose weight to get healthy, in fact you have to be healthy to lose weight."

Karen
  • eeelastic9
    Options
    I'm 18 and have been on Levoxyl (currently .075mg) to treat my hashimoto's for almost a year now. I've found the best way to deal with the weight issue is to remember that yes, the weight will come off slowly, but it *will* come off. And there are so many factors that we *can* control, such as paying extra special attention to our diet and lots of exercise.
    I used to blame my thyroid disease for being overweight and thought there was nothing to do about it, but that of course isn't true! It just means that I have to work harder and be patient when I see others losing weight more easily than me.
    Stay positive and stick to a healthy lifestyle (easier said than done, I know). you can do it!
  • steadyasigo
    Options
    Me! In 2006 after completing a triathlon my body and mind was shutting down. It took until this jan. to regulate the meds. I gained about 30 pounds since 2006 but I feel I am on the road to recovery. I hit a wall in Nov 2006 but didn;t know what wall until i went in to the Doc and they took the blood sample.

I am 47 and it is hard to lose the weight but I have started . The weight for me was secondary. It effected me enough that my kids, 9 and 10 and hubby endured a great deal. I am back to being me and now on the road of losing the weight which is harder to do but can be done.

I love the fact there are others out there such as as all of us. I need to read Dr. Turners book thanks!

Good luck
  • firstdaughter
    Options
    Thank you for the name of the book. I am going out to buy it right after work.