Ladies, menstrual question

shipleyak
shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have only been on MFP for a month now, so this is the first time I have even thought about this. At that TOM should I change my diet up to help with what is going on in our bodies. I know alot of us crave chocolate. I'm not sure what it is our body needs from it that we crave so much. I have also noticed I am having a hard time making myself eat. Is it normal for my body to not want alot of food right now?

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Just be sure to keep your iron up. If you are "dieting" and exercising you might be very fatigued. A multi-vitamin should cover it, but I actually take iron periodically too because i tend to be really low anyway. Usually I just "dope up" on iron before a blood drive so I can pass!

As for "what your body needs" - I say, if the cravings are driving you crazy, go ahead and have a little of whatever it is. Don't go overboard and don't never give in or you will just be miserable and bitter.
  • I don't see why you couldn't change your diet to fit your cravings as long as you stick within your allotted requirements. If you don't feel like eating, maybe the trick is to plan a lot of small meals instead of larger ones. Its usually easier to "stomach" smaller amounts at a time than sitting down to a "proper" meal.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    hrm, good question, think about what chocolate gives us. Sugar/Carbs/Fat, a little taste of bitter -depending on the chocolate, a little caffeine/stimulant , and I read somewhere it help the brain with good feelings.

You can probably replace all of those with different healthier foods or exercise. Or you could go ahead and have a little bit of chocolate just don't go overboard.
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    As long as you don't eat a whole pound of it, I've heard that dark chocolate is actually good for you... I'm sure they mean in extreme moderation... but if you like dark chocolate, try a little of that when you get the craving!
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    I don't make any changes. I know it's going to happen and allow myself an extra treat if I really feel like I am gonna rip someone's head off if I dont lol ok maybe I am not that extreme. I do know that I show a bit of a level or gain the week before but the next week it seems to take care of itself.
  • Chocolate is my best friend when I am menstruating! When I am really craving it I allow myself to have a small piece of dark chocolate. It's only about 17-30 calories per ounce. So in moderation it's not a bad thing to have! It;s better to have that, then to go overboard and end up eating a piece (or two or three! LOL) of chocolate cake or a bowl of ice cream!

Karen
  • Maggie1960
    Maggie1960 Posts: 322
    I keep a bar of chocolate in the freezer (hidden from the children, of course!) ready broken into pieces and when it's time of the month and the chocolate craving hits, I have a piece. Alternatively, a friend of mine swears by a low calorie hot chocolate drink but for me, it has to be the real thing, nothing else will do.
This discussion has been closed.