Mushrooms!

Options
Okay, I'm sure lots of folks know this... but I didn't realize until yesterday how much bulk mushrooms can provide for so little calories, fat, etc. (no, I didn't expect mushrooms to be fatty... just saying that it's nice to find a low cal low fat bulk). Cooking with them for hot meals lets me use less of other things but still have the taste, flavor, etc.

What other veggies am I missing that are high bulk, low cal (other than lettuce)?

Replies

• stringcheeze
    Options
    Pretty much any non-starchy veggie will provide bulk for low cal/fat cost. Can't go wrong with cabbage, spinach, kale, chard and collard greens, broccoli, cauliflower, etc etc.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash isn't as low calorie as mushrooms are, but I consider it really low calorie and a great substitute for spaghetti pasta. 2 cups of it is about 80 calories - though I can never eat that much because it's really filling!
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    According to the fat2fit podcast, carrots and celery are negative calorie foods. They have calories in them, but they burn more than they contain as they are digested. I have added both (as well as mushrooms) to my diet in a big way! They also mentioned a lot of other negative calorie foods, but those were the only two I remembered. I need to go back and re-listen to the podcast.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    all of those plus green peppers and celery... bulk for less cals... loving it.
  • marasong
    Options
    Zucchini is very low calorie! I grate it and mix it in with my pasta sauce, you'd never even know it was in there.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I've made turkey burgers with chopped up mushrooms, a good portion of mushrooms increases the bulk (more patties per pound) and brings down the calories, adds a great meaty flavor too!
  • Michaela722
    Options
    I replace the meat in my pasta sauce for sauteed zucchini and mushrooms. Still just as yummy and so much more low-cal!
  • Firebranda
    Firebranda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Leafy spinach has ridiculously low calories as well :)
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    I agree about mushrooms. I always add them to my stir fry and they allow me to back off of the beef a little.
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    Spaghetti squash isn't as low calorie as mushrooms are, but I consider it really low calorie and a great substitute for spaghetti pasta. 2 cups of it is about 80 calories - though I can never eat that much because it's really filling!

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I've been hungry for spaghetti sauce but didn't want to load up on pasta in addition to whatever I was gonna add in the sauce.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm sure lots of folks know this... but I didn't realize until yesterday how much bulk mushrooms can provide for so little calories, fat, etc. (no, I didn't expect mushrooms to be fatty... just saying that it's nice to find a low cal low fat bulk). Cooking with them for hot meals lets me use less of other things but still have the taste, flavor, etc.

What other veggies am I missing that are high bulk, low cal (other than lettuce)?

I know what you mean, mushrooms are one of my favorite! They fill my desire for meat w/o the icky feeling I get when I actually eat meat. lol

As for the high bulk low cal veggies you should totally try Bok Choy. I just discovered it a few months ago and LOVE doing stir fry with it (Bok Choy, mushrooms, onions, yellow squash, and a little bit of teriyaki sauce - so good!).
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

steamed broccoli is pretty yum, great fiber content, I never like it raw but have learned I like it steamed, I toss it with whole wheat pastas, etc. Really low in cals and great because it's one of the darker veggies so the benefits are awesome!
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    According to the fat2fit podcast, carrots and celery are negative calorie foods. They have calories in them, but they burn more than they contain as they are digested. I have added both (as well as mushrooms) to my diet in a big way! They also mentioned a lot of other negative calorie foods, but those were the only two I remembered. I need to go back and re-listen to the podcast.

There are NO negative calorie foods see this link: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1896439_1896359_1896346,00.html
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Want a hot dish with low carbs and high protein? Make turkey chili, but instead of beans use mushrooms! Mmmmm! I love a good spicy (not necesssarily hot) chili with a blob of low fat sour cream or plain yogurt on it. Got wiggle room? add some shreded low fat cheese.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love brussels sprouts, green beans, broccoli, and coleslaw (shredded cabbage...not the stuff loaded with mayo).