Can't find the post on metabolic rate and GI/GL

Options
slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
I think it was here that I read it, or maybe on another board elsewhere, but I read a post about Glycemic load vs. counting calories and have a question.

Does anyone know how the "resistant starches" affect glycemic load? For example, a potato may be high in GI but low in GL, because it's a "resistant starch" - stays in teh system longer, harder to digest, than a piece of bread. Or at least, that's what I've read.

What about loaves that are resistant starches, like my corn loaf from Ener-G foods? I'm gluten-free (or try to be), and this thing has 3 grams of fiber per slice. Calories are low - 40 per slice, and sugar is practically non-existant in this thing.

Can I eat these without getting spiking my metabolic rate into high gear? I'm trying to get rid of fat, not keep it on.

Thanks, to anyone for clearing up this confusion!

Replies

• slieber
    Options
    I think it was here that I read it, or maybe on another board elsewhere, but I read a post about Glycemic load vs. counting calories and have a question.

Does anyone know how the "resistant starches" affect glycemic load? For example, a potato may be high in GI but low in GL, because it's a "resistant starch" - stays in teh system longer, harder to digest, than a piece of bread. Or at least, that's what I've read.

What about loaves that are resistant starches, like my corn loaf from Ener-G foods? I'm gluten-free (or try to be), and this thing has 3 grams of fiber per slice. Calories are low - 40 per slice, and sugar is practically non-existant in this thing.

Can I eat these without getting spiking my metabolic rate into high gear? I'm trying to get rid of fat, not keep it on.

Thanks, to anyone for clearing up this confusion!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitsense.co.uk/fit_article.php?id=100
    Is this the article? This is the one Banks posted, it's awesome. I don't know where the original post is but I bookmarked the article in my browser.
  • slieber
    Options
    Yes, that's the one. It doesn't answer about "resistant starches" though. Would those be considered simple or complex carbs???

There's a lot out there saying that potatoes are not as bad as one would say, because it's a "resistant" starch - takes longer to digest than, say, a standard piece of bread, because of the level of fiber.

I'm concerned because I want to make sure to get all the fiber I need - about 35 grams at the least - but those aren't usually contained in great quantities in the low GI foods.