What structured lifting programs have you tried/recommend?

Options
I've looked into 5x5 and the low volume just really isn't my thing. I've seen The Cube Method picking up steam at least via Youtube.

I found an e-copy of The Cube Method for $10
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/books/Title/5dx4zjnP5E24DJ-lGVEnJA#readThisOn

Whereas the hard copies are $40-50+

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

I'm not sure why you're saying 5x5 is low volume. If you're working out with the right intensity, this program kills. You can also adjust the weight, reps and tempo under a 5x5 to accomplish pretty much any lifting goals you might have.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You're comparing a program aimed at novices new to strength training to something aimed at competing powerlifters. Are you at the level of a competing powerlifter? Great, do the Cube method. Are you a novice? Great, do Stronglifts or an equivalent.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the Cube Method? How many sets/reps is it? I'm surprised you call 25 total reps, low volume. Even more when adding in the warm-up
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You're comparing a program aimed at novices new to strength training to something aimed at competing powerlifters. Are you at the level of a competing powerlifter? Great, do the Cube method. Are you a novice? Great, do Stronglifts or an equivalent.
    I'm probably not... My 1 rep maxes are around 370 squats and dead lifts with a really ****ty bench (probably around 180). I don't plan on competing, but I want to have a good lifting coefficient for my body weight.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the Cube Method? How many sets/reps is it? I'm surprised you call 25 total reps, low volume. Even more when adding in the warm-up
    I've just been accustomed to a lot of sets. I spend 2.5 hours lifting with 10-20 cardio after. I had to scale it back from 3 hours because it was taking too much of my day.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not... My 1 rep maxes are around 370 squats and dead lifts with a really ****ty bench (probably around 180). I don't plan on competing, but I want to have a good lifting coefficient for my body weight.

SL 5x5 isn't for you if your lifts are that high. Find an intermediate program you like. 5/3/1 is always recommended. You could check out the Texas Method too. There's an intensity day and a volume day.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Is your primary goal to gain strength or to get bigger?
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Of course I'd like to pack on some muscle, but I my goals are primarily strength based.