Can't get around suger?

Options
Well it's been a few weeks since I suscribed to this site and I think it is a wonderful tool for accessing a healthier lifestyle. However, no matter how healthy I eat or the efforts I make, I always seem to get above the sugar limit that this site suggests. In my case, I am allowed 38g of sugar per day...I have a shake with fruits in the morning and generally an apple and/or some other fruit during the day and I bust this 38g limit every day...

I know sometimes I will eat cookies or cake without exageration and I live with this very well sinceI know I'm doing it on purpose, but since fat (internal and external) is created by metabolized sugars (am I right thinking that?) I am considering cutting on the fruits...I'd rather not cause I know there's plenty of antioxydants, fibers and vitamins in there but still, sugar is sugar and if it keeps me from reaching my goal, well, I'll find those nutrients somewhere else (supplements)...

What do you think?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Don't stop eating fruits. There's no reason to track sugar unless you have a medical reason to keep it low.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not keeping you from reaching your goal weight...there is no need to track sugar unless you have a medical reason to do so. I have never cared about my sugar, and it hasn't hurt me a bit.
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have gone over my sugar intake probably every single day. I wouldn't stress about it. :)
  • kimk71
    kimk71 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could try doing less fruit in your morning smoothie and add some veggies to keep up the fiber/fullness while slashing the sugar. I go to Pinterest and look up green smoothie recipies. Usually a bannana, a few low glycemic berries like cherries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, OR blackberries, 1 cup of water and a hanfull of spinach make a great smoothie and keep your sugar low. Also watch labels. Canned tomatoes and sauces are loaded with sugar. You would do better to buy tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and chop onions to make your own pasta sauces. Also, cook your pasta for only 5 min. It cuts the starches (sugar).

Here is a link to low sugar fruits, stick to these when you do eat fruit.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-and-worst-fruits/#axzz2nrN9dL3m
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Fat is created from a calorie surplus, not from sugar. Ignore it! It's a carb, so you already track it :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    The sugar goal on MFP is based on added sugar, not natural sugar, but the diary does not distinguish between the two. Unless you have a medical need to avoid sugar, there is nothing wrong with fruit. I bust my sugar limit daily due to natural sugar and never worry about it. Most of us on here don't track sugar; I'd recommend you do the same.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Fat is created from a calorie surplus, not from sugar. Ignore it! It's a carb, so you already track it :)
    ^ Yep
  • patlebrun1
    patlebrun1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for your input guys, I freel better now! :)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    The sugar goal on MFP is based on added sugar, not natural sugar, but the diary does not distinguish between the two. Unless you have a medical need to avoid sugar, there is nothing wrong with fruit. I bust my sugar limit daily due to natural sugar and never worry about it. Most of us on here don't track sugar; I'd recommend you do the same.

I'm naughty and bust my sugar limit with Starbucks and ice cream ;) We both might live to see the end of the sugar-acolpyse.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. I think I changed it to fiber. Under your settings you can change what things you track. Get rid of the ones that aren't important to you and track what really makes a difference.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there isn't a day I've logged my food on here that I haven't blown sugar macro by a huge amount. Don't sweat it, just make sure to get your important macros at your caloric goal.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about sugar, just make sure its healthy sugar not chocolates and candy, but fruits and veggies. I am over my sugar by 80-100 every day and I still lost 30lbs!!! You can do it. Just keep your salt and calorie intake in check
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Well it's been a few weeks since I suscribed to this site and I think it is a wonderful tool for accessing a healthier lifestyle. However, no matter how healthy I eat or the efforts I make, I always seem to get above the sugar limit that this site suggests. In my case, I am allowed 38g of sugar per day...I have a shake with fruits in the morning and generally an apple and/or some other fruit during the day and I bust this 38g limit every day...

I know sometimes I will eat cookies or cake without exageration and I live with this very well sinceI know I'm doing it on purpose, but since fat (internal and external) is created by metabolized sugars (am I right thinking that?) I am considering cutting on the fruits...I'd rather not cause I know there's plenty of antioxydants, fibers and vitamins in there but still, sugar is sugar and if it keeps me from reaching my goal, well, I'll find those nutrients somewhere else (supplements)...

What do you think?

I was told that sugar levels only really matter if you are being unhealthy.

And if you do cardio exercise, you use carbs including sugar.

Someone more clued up than me might give you a more scientific elaboration of this....
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You can tweak your diary to only show the items you want to track (calories, fat, sodium). So if the sugar is bothering you, remove it from the list of items tracked. Fruits and vegetables are great for you and you don't want to cut back on them.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, whether it is from fruit or a candy bar. Fructose, glucose, sucrose. Makes no difference to your body when it metabolizes it. When your body metabolizes sugar or any other carbohydrate, it produces insulin. This hormone is needed to metabolize the sugar but it also causes you to be hungry again. The easiest way to not crave sugar is to cut out all sugar. Eat vegetables instead of fruit. They still have carbs, but more are from fiber. Choose foods with a low glycemic index.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options

What do you think?
    [/quote]

You are right about sugar. Table sugar is glucose. Fruits contain fructose. The process of sugar metabolism is called glycolysis. In the first step of glycolysis, glucose is modified to fructose. After that, the pathways are the same. (I'm a biochem geek). If you do not immediately burn up the sugar, it will be stored as glycogen in your muscles. However, if there is no room to store more glycogen, it will be converted to fat.

Your body does not need sugar at all. It easily can switch to catabolism of other nutrients such as fats and protein for energy. Your brain functions easily on ketones, the product of fat breakdown. As an added benefit, you don't feel hungry when sugar is eliminated because you do not get a spike of insulin. Proteins and fats make you feel full. Without sugar, you will eat less because you lose the cravings.
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    dont worry about fruit sugar.

dont drink all your calories either.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Don't stop eating fruit, stop eating cake and cookies and stop tracking your sugar. Problem solved! :flowerforyou: