Recipes the husband can enjoy too

Options
Good evening all!

I'm making my grocery list and thinking ahead to meals this next week. Rather than make two meals, what are some meals I can make that are healthy, but aren't too "diety"?

My husband isn't a picky eater and will eat most fruits and vegetables (no fish, however). He isn't really too keen on "weird", or "diety" vegetables - if that makes sense, an example off the top of my head is kale - getting him to try it has been a fight.

He also, true to our midwest upbringing, insists that a meal isn't a meal unless is has a meat component - so if that could be kept in mind with recipe suggestions!

Replies

• KatyAverill
    KatyAverill Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear some healthy options too-my husband is SUPER picky. He won't eat any fruits, and the only veggies he will eat is a salad if it's absolutely soaked in ranch dressing. His main food groups are cheese, bread, and ice cream/cookies lol
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I find that as long as it tastes good my husband will eat it, 'healthy' or not.
  • MasterKat
    Options
    My husband is a meat and potatoes kind of man. As long as I have a meat, veggie and starch (totally digs red potatoes) he is cool. So I plan around all that most of the time and make sure my plate is half full of veggies.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Filets and veggies
    Grilled or baked chicken
    Enchiladas with corn tortillas
    Chili with venison or ground turkey
    crock pot chicken and rice with mushroom sauce
    taco soup
    Spagetti with whole wheat noodles
    turkey breast
    buffalo chicken wraps(use the won ton wrappers) with cabbage
    You said no fish, but seasoned grilled salmon is awesome

Those are just a few that I like to make for the wife.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Filets and veggies
    Grilled or baked chicken
    Enchiladas with corn tortillas
    Chili with venison or ground turkey
    crock pot chicken and rice with mushroom sauce
    taco soup
    Spagetti with whole wheat noodles
    turkey breast
    buffalo chicken wraps(use the won ton wrappers) with cabbage
    You said no fish, but seasoned grilled salmon is awesome

Those are just a few that I like to make for the wife.

all sounds great
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Um, all of these are in the crock pot. I work *a lot*.

Chicken picante. Chicken, salsa, black beans and (though I don't) - corn. Low cals, easy and yummy. Serve with boil in the bag whole grain rice.

Vegan chili (with tofu if you like)

Homemade veggie soup made with lean meat. He never cares what kind so long as the base is tomato and I put a beef bouillon cube in there.

Lean pork chops with teryiaki (sp) sauce. Side of boil in bag rice and whatever veggies I can steam in bag (not as good as fresh but trust me a lot of times I'm in survival mode ;).

Other
    Grilled chicken tenders and low cal sauces. Take your pick which ones. I usually serve with baked potato wedges or mini carrots and low fat ranch (or Italian or whatever I have on hand).

Loaded baked potatoes. Anything you like that's healthy stuffed in a potato. I like chicken, broccoli and cheese. Low fat sour cream on the side.

Chicken cordon blue - frozen and put into the oven - the kind without the breading. Steam in bag veggies with this one. Need a starch, he eats microwave potatoes or and I eat whole grain bread :).

Any flavored chicken breast and veggies with parm cheese. Doesn't matter so long as I switch it up. Lemon pepper, teryiaki, steak seasoning, garlic, whatever. If I'm making it "extra special" I'll turn it into stir fry.

Lots of other stuff, too, but can't think of it right now.
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eat a lot of stir fry. I also work a lot so it is easy to prep a bunch of veggies at the beginning of the week and add in whatever meat we are going to us. I can also cook him a side of rice or noodles if he wants extra carbs without adding a lot of work to making the meal. For an easy desert I so a lot of baked fruit. He can always add a scoop of ice cream if he wants it, but I that way I have a delicious baked apple to eat.