water question as well as detox question!

Options
So I thought I was doing pretty good with drinking water, one to two bottles a day. Its not that I hate water I just find it hard to drink ALL day and I feel like when I do drink all day my stomach looks like im pregnant (I wish!) But ive seen alot of peoples food diaries on here who lose alot of weight and it seems they are drinking TONS of water. How can I do this in general, and without looking SUPER bloated (or peeing every 30 minutes). Does it help with weightloss or is it just good for you? I hardly drink anything anymore but water.

question 2...someone told me about body detoxing? Should I consider this? Ive heard its good for you and a good way to cleanse of bad toxins.

Replies

• lorrieprothero
    Options
    I've heard you should take in about 1/2 your body weight in oz - so for instance, when I was at 210, I drank 105 oz per day, when I was at 147, I drank 73.5 oz. I'm just like you though and not necessarily a huge fan of water, I don't hate it but I have to make myself drink it. Don't over do it though, because that's VERY dangerous, too much water dilutes your blood and basically drowns you from the inside. What I do is get myself a big cup of water and drink when i first wake up and then another right after I'm done eating. Each time i get up to go to the bathroom, I drink another glass. It might seem like a lot of peeing at first, but it's a good thing, it's getting all the junk out of your system and also realizing that it doesn't have to hold on to all the excess water you may have been holding. I've also noticed once I've been getting enough water on a regular basis, I start peeing a little less often (also it starts getting clear) Once i started drinking enough water, I actually dropped almost 10 pounds, apparently I was holding that much excess water.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My first week and a half I couldn't drink all that water either. But then I started exercising out in the heat. I also started eating food that had less sugar and fat but more sodium. (I noticed I started craving salt more and more since I've been using this site, not totally certain why.) Now I'm thirsty and drinking water all the time and going well over 8 cups a day.

Here's two articles I read last week about water and weight loss: http://www.shapeupshop.com/weightloss/water-weight-loss.html http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100251368 Hope that helps. :smile:

P.S.-- I know some people who got good results doing juice detoxing with carrot juice and apple juice (homemade from a juicer not the kind of pressed juice bought in a store). They also added Vitagreen or similar supplements to their juices to make sure they stayed healthy. I've done it myself for a day or two but it's kinda rough (you can't go anywhere too far from a bathroom). I felt good afterward, but I didn't enjoy the process.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Water does help with weight loss because it helps you feel fuller. When you feel bloated, are you guzzling down a cup at a time? If you just take sips throughout the day you shouldn't feel bloated. While I am at work, I usually go through, at least 40 oz of water, and I do not need to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes. Maybe once an hour, but that is fine with me since I sit at a computer all day...it's nice to get up.

Not sure about the detox question.
  • rebel14
    rebel14 Posts: 33
    Options
    Ive heard the same thing about body detoxing but Ive yet to do it myself. If you feel you'd like to wipe the slate clean and want to feel good about this process, I say go for it !! You got me thinking of it as well and I think Ill do alittle research. As far as water as a weightloss enhancer I read it is within reason. Its absolutely the best thing you can drink and simply good for you, I do know that many weight loss gurus say that drinking water aids in feeling full and better digestion. I had answered another post from a gentleman who asked is other beverages such as tea and coffe can be considered water, and Ive read and seen where you can as long as theirs no caloric intake such as sweeteners or cream. I have to have variety so I drink plenty of water, sugar free lemonade, ice tea, crystal light, and so on.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I like a squirt of lemon juice in my water.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    :noway: exercise exercise exercise :huh: and dont drink it all at once. you will learn to love it
  • richnelms
    richnelms Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this. The water thing is a bit overstated:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89323934
  • tennies
    tennies Posts: 16
    Options
    water will help flush fat from the body faster, i used to not drink hardly any water at all, only dr pepper a 12 pack a day. but now i have not drank any dr peppers for 8 days now and im drinking water about 10 8 oz glasses a day, and yes i go to the bathroom about 8 times a day
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I get bloated too but because I chug the water to keep myself from feeling hungry. I just learned today on the Today Show that water is water and doesn't really make you lose weight, it just keeps you fuller so you won't eat or drink the bad stuff. They said to drink 2 cups of water before you eat. They recently did a study, and the people that did drink the 2 cups of water before they ate lost weight as opposed to the people that did not. Surprise. haha. Good luck though!
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this. The water thing is a bit overstated:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89323934

My doctor told me pretty much the same thing. I just try to drink water over other drinks because I would rather eat my calories than drink them...
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    that article is a bit surprising to me. it contradicts what most people have told me/ most things i've read about the importance of water..
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do not know if it is true or not but I have always heard you tend to retain more water when your body is not accustomed to being properly hydrated. I have personally noticed that now that I consistently drink 64+oz a day that I do not have so much retention (bloating) and I'm not running to the bathroom every 5 minutes. I'm also more thirsty and want to drink water now that it is all I drink.
  • ashtonscoggins
    ashtonscoggins Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well I just read that article and HMMMM. Im not sure. I personally drink water with my meals and when thirsty during a workout I will sip water. I dont drink sodas at all sometimes juice mostly tea if its other than water. I guess I will just stick with what im doing. I was mostly saying that I feel like im forcing myself to drink water ALL DAY which I do, when im thirsty I cant just sip it every couple of minutes. And it is a great point that water has no calories. So im going to continue drinking water but not the 8 glass min. a day. That would be forcing myself to do it. Plus I have NEVER felt dehydrated in my life. Even when I was physically fit.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You do need to "force" yourself to drink this much water at first if you are not used to it. The water portion of weight loss is VERY important. There was actually just a study released yesterday in the news that proves that people who drink the "golden" 8 glasses per day lose an average of about 15% more weight in the same timeframe as those who don't consume as much. Drinking your water is not just good for weight loss, it is excellent for your skin as well and many times when you feel tired and sluggish it is because you are dehydrated!
    I had to force myself to get in my 8 glasses for a few months and now find that my body is used to it.
    Remember that by the time you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated, our bodies do not have a great mechanism for warning us of this.
    My weight loss slows down considerably when I don't get in my water, increase this and you will be surprised at the better results!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    If you are consistently over on your sodium as well, you'll need more water to flush the sodium out.
    When I eat out on the weekends, I try to make sure I drink 120 oz. of water at least for 2 or 3 days until I see that water retention start to dwindle.
    Drinking water also helps you get rid of water retention during TOM.
    I'll tell you, before I started drinking at minimum 96 oz. of water/day, I was always having a hard time getting through workouts and the day in general.
    Now I sweat a lot more during workouts, but I never feel dehydrated.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    they have a new study that says water dose not really do anything for you" alls i have to say is :huh: when you drink water you sweat more which brings oil to the surface and keeps you from drying out and wrinkling.:noway: it also helps with,keeping your muscles :: from getting sore:sad: it allso help with feeling fool:love: and keeps me from eating everthing in the house in one setting:blushing: i could go on about. but its up to you to discover:flowerforyou: why you like it on your own
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    they have a new study that says water dose not really do anything for you" alls i have to say is :huh: when you drink water you sweat more which brings oil to the surface and keeps you from drying out and wrinkling.:noway: it also helps with,keeping your muscles :: from getting sore:sad: it allso help with feeling fool:love: and keeps me from eating everthing in the house in one setting:blushing: i could go on about. but its up to you to discover:flowerforyou: why you like it on your own

If sweat does that, I may never wrinkle! I drink lots of water and I sweat like crazy at the gym. I get GROSS.