Protein Intake for weight lifting women

Options
Hi guys,

I'm a 5'5" woman and I am currently lifting weights 2 -3 times a week. I was wondering how much protein I should be consuming to help build muscle and enourage fat loss? I am aiming to gain some definition, and not necessarily bulk up too much. Also, does anyone have any protein supplement recommendations for women?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    100g/day, and steak
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is no protein supplementation that is for women...protein is protein. It also does not encourage fat loss - it allows you to maintain LBM on a deficit (together with a progressive loading resistance training routine) or gain muscle on a surplus.

Try to get t least 1g per lb of LBM per day, but 1g per lb of body weight is potentially better, depending on your BF%.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    100g/day, and steak

Pretty much this. If you can get all the protein you need from food, no need to supplement. However if you do want a shake, I like Optimum Nutrition.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    There is no protein supplementation that is for women...protein is protein. It also does not encourage fat loss - it allows you to maintain LBM on a deficit (together with a progressive loading resistance training routine) or gain muscle on a surplus.

Try to get t least 1g per lb of LBM per day, but 1g per lb of body weight is potentially better, depending on your BF%.

Also this, but I generally just say 100 because really I think the recommendation is 0.8-1 grams per pound of lean body mass, and you have to have an estimate of body fat percentage to know how many pounds of lean body mass you have, and really for most women, 100 grams is pretty close.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I am 166cm and 61kg. Lift weights 4 times per week.

I usually eat about 120g protein a day, up to 150g. I make sure I have protein at every meal.
    It comprises about 40% some days 50% of my diet.

Seems to have worked for me :)
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2, 136lbs. My trainer/nutitionist has me at 140-160g a day.. Everyday, regardless if i am training. Alot of lean meats and protein shakes.

Also, glutamine will help with muscle building and recovery.