Pink Slime Gets a New Name

Options
American Meat Institute defines Fine, Lightly Textured Beef (a.k.a. “pink slime”)
by Marion Nestle, Food Politics

Yesterday, the American Meat Institute sent out an advisory to the news media with a helpful glossary of terms to “use and avoid in coverage of lean finely textured beef” (LFTB).

Lean finely textured beef (LFTB)? Recall the pejorative: “pink slime?”

Academic that I am, I love precise meanings.

The AMI says these terms are proper to use:

Lean Finely Textured Beef: This product is produced by Beef Products, Inc. More detail is available at www.beefisbeef.com.

Finely Textured Beef: This product is produced by Cargill. More detail is available at www.groundbeefanswers.com.

Beef: Both LFTB and FTB are defined as beef by USDA.

Product: Just as a steak or roast are considered a product of a company, LFTB and FTB are products of BPI and Cargill respectively.

But AMI says, you should never use this term:

Pink Slime: While this term has been commonly used to describe LFTB, there is nothing slimy about it. The negative connotation of the phrase “pink slime” shows bias and is inappropriate to describe a wholesome, safe, nutritious and USDA inspected beef product.

You also are not supposed to use the terms Filler, Binder, Extender, or Additive.

Aren’t you happy to have this clarified?

http://www.foodpolitics.com/2013/12/american-meat-institute-defines-fine-lightly-textured-beef-a-k-a-pink-slime/

Replies

• TammyWesting
    TammyWesting Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Gross. If they're bothering to try and change the name that means they're still selling/using it and we're still eating it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    First people complain that we don't use all of the animal. Then we use all of the animal, and they complain about the aesthetics of it. And the complaints invariably come from people with zero experience in actually growing/raising food.

This stuff is simply an extension of what humans have done to maximize use of livestock animals since we started keeping livestock animals.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I prefer steak - but if you want, go to a butcher shop and they can grind prime rib into burger for you if that is what you want and are willing to pay.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Don't they pick it up off the floor and wash it in chemicals? I'm all for nose to tail butchering but don't feed me trash and tell me I'm being picky because I don't like the aesthetics. And you certainly don't get to rebrand it and try and trick me into eating it and expect me to think that's ok because it's not.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    American Meat Institute defines Fine, Lightly Textured Beef (a.k.a. “pink slime”)
    by Marion Nestle, Food Politics

Yesterday, the American Meat Institute sent out an advisory to the news media with a helpful glossary of terms to “use and avoid in coverage of lean finely textured beef” (LFTB).

Lean finely textured beef (LFTB)? Recall the pejorative: “pink slime?”

Academic that I am, I love precise meanings.

The AMI says these terms are proper to use:

Lean Finely Textured Beef: This product is produced by Beef Products, Inc. More detail is available at www.beefisbeef.com.

Finely Textured Beef: This product is produced by Cargill. More detail is available at www.groundbeefanswers.com.

Beef: Both LFTB and FTB are defined as beef by USDA.

Product: Just as a steak or roast are considered a product of a company, LFTB and FTB are products of BPI and Cargill respectively.

But AMI says, you should never use this term:

Pink Slime: While this term has been commonly used to describe LFTB, there is nothing slimy about it. The negative connotation of the phrase “pink slime” shows bias and is inappropriate to describe a wholesome, safe, nutritious and USDA inspected beef product.

You also are not supposed to use the terms Filler, Binder, Extender, or Additive.

Aren’t you happy to have this clarified?

http://www.foodpolitics.com/2013/12/american-meat-institute-defines-fine-lightly-textured-beef-a-k-a-pink-slime/
    [/quote

So then whats a "sausage" considered? Ppl been eating them for years now and they are "binders" and have additives added in
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    It's always been called LFTB... :huh:

The Pink Slime name was a pejorative term used by those that don't like it.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Most carcasses are washed during processing - it's a safety thing.

Super scary "Ammonia Hydroxide" is just ammonia in water.

We probably need chemistry to be mandatory in high school and these "shocking" revelations would get a lot less press.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Whey is just a leftover in many dairy foods...if "pink slime" is just lean protein, why would I really care?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

We probably need chemistry to be mandatory in high school and these "shocking" revelations would get a lot less press.
    Ok, you work on beefing up the science education and I'll work on sourcing food that doesn't need to go through an ammonia bath.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Ok, you work on beefing up the science education and I'll work on sourcing food that doesn't need to go through an ammonia bath.

If you don't like it then don't eat it.

Pretty simple really, and it takes a lot less time and energy than charging windmills
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    First people complain that we don't use all of the animal. Then we use all of the animal, and they complain about the aesthetics of it. And the complaints invariably come from people with zero experience in actually growing/raising food.

This stuff is simply an extension of what humans have done to maximize use of livestock animals since we started keeping livestock animals.

Agreed. I'd much prefer that we waste less food than play precious about what some cheaper products look like. Cheaper food means fewer people go hungry. That's always a win in my book.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It was never called pink slime to begin with. That's really not the name they used when they decided to make it, I assure you LOL!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    "Let others complain that our age is evil; my complaint is that it is paltry." Soren Kierkegaard
  • Safiyandi
    Options

Yep. I don't find it wrong to eat meat, but I DO have a problem with tossing parts that have been eaten for years and years because suddenly someone doesn't like the way it looks or that it's lower-grade.

Really, pink slime can't be any worse than the trash parts that go into sausages, and you just know that's full of peckers and snouts.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Don't they pick it up off the floor and wash it in chemicals? I'm all for nose to tail butchering but don't feed me trash and tell me I'm being picky because I don't like the aesthetics. And you certainly don't get to rebrand it and try and trick me into eating it and expect me to think that's ok because it's not.

Haha you wouldn't like me cooking for you - the one that falls on the kitchen floor doesn't go to me :)

Seriously though, just don't eat it if it bothers you - it's pretty obvious what it's going to be in. We just had the horse meat scandal over here - you'd've loved that - if your ready meal/frozen burger cost £/$1 it's not going to be ground steak that's in there.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Gross. If they're bothering to try and change the name that means they're still selling/using it and we're still eating it.

Not me! I hope...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How is this name new? They've been calling it LFTB for years. Do you really think that they made up the "pink slime" name themselves?

This. It's been called that for a very long time.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    American Meat Institute? Pfft. Not as trusted as the folks from Bovine University

BovineUniversity.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Really, pink slime can't be any worse than the trash parts that go into sausages, and you just know that's full of peckers and snouts.

Pig snout is a delicacy and is too expensive to go into the mix for sausages.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Pig snout is a delicacy and is too expensive to go into the mix for sausages.

Peckers, on the other hand...LOL

Seriously, for as cheap as it is, I don't think it's fair for me to expect it to be as nutritious,natural, or aesthetic as lesser-processed meatstuffs.