Eating Healthy at School

Options
Hello, I am having an issue with some of the foods i am eating. I am currently going to college and my classes run from 730 am to 630 pm. On Tuesdays and Thursdays. and when I am looking for something to eat i can find foods like turkey clubs and some other deli sandwiches, but they are all pre processed packaged foods, which arent too bad in calories but have a great deal of Sodium in them. Are there any options in terms of maybe putting like a couple of snacks in my book bag for every 2 or 3 hours. Thats all i can think of and if I do this, I will not be able to get an actual lunch meal in for the day.

Replies

• sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I agree with packing your own food. fruit, veggies nuts, all travel well and you can eat small amounts during whatever breaks you get. you can get lunch-sized cooler bags too which would give you more variety in what you can pack and since "back to school" sales are everywhere you'll get a good deal now.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Hmm tough question, especially if you need to lug it around in a backpack and not be able to keep it refrigerated (so you'll need something sturdy and non-perishable). Would you be able to pack your own lunch? A PB&J (or PB& apple, banana, etc) sandwich would keep pretty well and still be edible if it got smushed a bit. Pack some baby carrots and a box of raisins and that would make for a good lunch on the go.

Snack wise the only thing that readily comes to mind are Ants on a Log -- celery filled with peanut butter and nut pieces or raisins as the "ants".
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Packing a lunch is a great idea, that way you can have more than just snack food in your backpack, like an actual meal, and then you are able to control what goes into that meal. There are good deli choices that you can buy in the store, so making your own subs and whatnot could be calorie AND sodium friendly too.

Also, anything with protein and complex carbs are what youre looking for when eating foods that will keep you satisfied throughout the day, so youre not tempted to splurge when you get home.

Some good ideas that you might want to consider:
    -Tuna on whole wheat bread
    -Low fat yogurt and granola
    -Protein shake with a banana
    -Peanut butter and banana sandwich

You can find great ideas online as well. Hope this helps!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Bring your own food...one-it'll be cheaper and two-it'll be heathier. You can make your own sandwiches, bring a thermos with soup, salad with some type of protein, pasta salad, left over pizza...the list is endless. Also, bring a few snacks...banana, yogurt, trail mix, a healthy granola bar, dry cereal, and don't forget to bring a large bottle of water to keep yourself hydrated.
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Go to a trader joes or a whole foods store and try their nutruion bars. It might be helpful, plus keep you full. The one I eat a lot is "luna bars" but they are "made for women"...but they still taste really good ha! :)
    also buy a lunch bag and then you can bring things you can put in the mircowave...or store a sandwhich in there along with fruits and veggies that may need to stay cold :)
    Plus: you can eat at the local cafateria...just do portion control and not every day.
    (I work at a college, so these are subjects taht come up a lot with students who live off campus - this is what I tell them :) )

I hope it helps! :) Have a great semester! :)