Restaurant nutritional information

Options
I was under the impression that anyone licensed to serve food to the general public is required by law to provide nutritional information upon request. Is that not correct?

Replies

• recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    No, there are no requirements as of yet for this information to be available to the public. Some places I go can't even give me allergen related information (indicating to me that they don't make the food on site).
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    It differs state to state, but no- that is not a rule/law.

I live in CT and we have no requirements like that. New York state has requirements, but it only applies to certain restaurants- they have to have a certain number of establishments, etc. to qualify (in other words, Mom and Pop places and bars, etc. do not have to provide any info.). I WISH it was a requirement... :ohwell:
  • Allieballie
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't think we have that in place in Canada. It's strongly suggested for restaurants to do so, but I don't believe it's been legislated for that to happen.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I found a app called Tap and Track for the Ipod that's pretty good with restaurant info... if your looking for the info and just can't find it. MFP has a lot of restaurant info as well. It's amazing how many cals are hidding at the restaurants!!
  • jamesrreed
    jamesrreed Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info.

I splurged (it's my birthday and I missed my goal of hitting 200 by just 1 lb) and hit a place called Home Run Burgers here in Louisville for lunch.

It's such a knock-off of Five Guys (but better) that I used Five Guys numbers for my journal/log.

Spent 1,200 calories for lunch but still have 500 left for cake tonight. :)