Working late = bad food choices :( help?

Options
I have a second job at night at the mall which I work 3-4 times a week. I usually work 4.5-5.5 hour shifts. For example I go in at 5pm and work until 10:30pm but since my shift isn't 6 hours or more I don't get a break. And even if I eat before my shift I'm usually super hungry 2-3 hours into it. I usually suck it up and end up raiding my fringe the second I step in my house with no regard to what I'm eating or ask to go to the bathroom during my shift and scarf down whatever is back there usually cookies or peanut butter sandwiches or worse. I find that this usually ruins my day of good eating. I don't know what to do. Should I eat a Huge meal before work? Or just starve until my shift is over and then I end up eating right before bed :(

Replies

• katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating something before work, and then have a portioned snack for after. It is SO hard to not binge after work... I know the feeling. Or gum is really handy with some water. Hope this helps!
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Before you go in to work you need to eat a meal high in protein and fat, and lower in carbs. This will keep you full much longer. I go 5 hours without eating all the time, and I'm never hungry because most of my calories come from healthy hats and protein. Try chicken, avocado, nut butters, etc. Protein especially will keep you full, because the energy from protein releases over time, so it can take a few hours for your body to use it.

Btw, studies have shown it doesn't matter what time of day you eat, it makes no difference to your body, so eating before bed is not the worst thing you can do as long as you are eating within your calorie limits and macros instead of bingeing. Just don't go crazy, I find it's not comfortable to sleep on a super-full stomach ;)
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Do you get a break or is there a place you can snack? I would eat a protein- rich meal before and bring a snack or snacks that pack a punch. That way you can address that issue of getting hungry halfway through. When I eat raw veggies at work, that really helps. Peanut butter on my sandwich helps a lot as well.