Maintaining on Vacation

Options
In a little less than two days I'll be leaving for a ten day vacation in Florida with my family! :) I'm so excited, but I'm fairly certain I won't be able to log accurately since there will be a lot of eating out/home meals. I haven't done this in a LONG time (except for Thanksgiving, which was one meal, and I still went over 3,000 calories on - yikes). I'm very disciplined when counting my calories, but when it's unknown I tend to make less than sober decisions. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for eating out, eating with family, or any tips in general? Hopefully if I do go over I'll burn it off by walking a lot in some Disney parks, but I know how fast calories can add up, and with maintenance a few days of indulging (or worse, ten) can really mess up all your hard work, so I'm still nervous :x

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I find that I can listen to or feel my body wanting more food. Try to feel how hungry you are. Make as many healthy choices as you can when you can. Don't worry about dumping fries in the garbage can. The most important part is to have fun! Don't stress too much over the food.
  • dynamiteglow
    dynamiteglow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I take a jump rope with me on vacations and try to squeeze that in even if it's only a few minutes at a time. I also head out for a quick run early in the morning at least once or twice while there. If your lucky a family member may care to join you. I don't watch all my meals with the family so I can enjoy some with them too but there's usually plenty of fattening choices all week. So I plan ahead by buying some of my own fruit to carry around when we are out an about. Even if you only semi log you should still try to log. Those vacation meals add up quick. Last vacation I didn't gain a pound and trust me I was scared to jump on the scale because I did eat a lot different than at home.
  • fitspo145
    Options
    Bumping to also look at tips. I'll be in the Philippines for 2 weeks at my grandparents' so an abundance of great food and temptation will be around. :tongue:
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I am packing protein bars and my resistance bands when I go plus I will have my ipod to log on to mfp. I plan on drinking lots of water too. Its up in the air what I will be eating but I know I will stick with small portions and best choices I can eat
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Staying hydrated is definitely a priority. I take an insulated water bottle with me just about everywhere. If you have the option, stop by a local grocery and stock up on healthy snacks and foods that you can eat before you go out to restaurants. If Disney still allows backpacks into the park, take food, water and ice with you. The money and calories that you save not buying $3 bottled water and $10 hot dogs at the park can be better spent at the local pub downing Captain and Coke Zero or one of those neon colored drinks with the umbrella! :drinker:

Jogging on the beach or swimming in the ocean are surprisingly good workouts. Many hotels have some sort of exercise room as well.

Most of all, you can watch what you eat/drink, but do not obsess over it. This is an awesome opportunity with your family; enjoy it! :smile:
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Also, one of the personal trainers posted a link to a 7 minute workout. Don't remember who, but here is a quick one for you in the morning!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/?_r=0

Cheers!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help! :) I'll definitely try out as many of these things as I possibly can, I wasn't going to log at all but I guess I may as well try, as one user suggested. Definitely couldn't hurt, and it may save me big time!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    One of things that took me a while to learn is to not think, "Its OK, I am on vacation" or when I was traveling for work that, "Its OK, its on an expense account." Just try to eat "normally" Have either the pancakes or the omelet, not both. If you can't log, try to keep at least a estimate in your head. And try not to assume too many calories burned for any exercise.

This has worked well for me for a few years - until I went to Hawaii for two weeks. Its been 3 months and I am still struggling to get that weight off.

Good luck and have fun on your vacation :smile:
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a nice vacation a couple of weeks ago. It was the longest vacation I have been on since maintaining and the location is known for their great restaurants so I was a little nervous!

What ended up happening was I ate a couple of small snacks during the afternoon (a homemade protein or homemade granola bar, nuts, fruit etc.) and a large well-balanced early dinner. Despite of all the activities I did during the day I was never hungry.

Lastly I walked a lot on my trip (averaged about 12 miles per day), I used the hotel's weight room as well and I still kept track of what I was eating. Actually I lost a couple of pounds while I was there!

This worked so great for me, but I do IF so I can go a while without eating, but this might not work for you if you need to eat in the morning.

Edited to add - I hope you have a wonderful time!
  • elmr34
    elmr34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are doing Disney I think you will walk a TON and burn a lot more calories than you think. Eat reasonable meals, but you're on vacation so HAVE SOME FUN. Florida is full of delicious seafood and fish is sooooo good for you.

If you really feel like you need to do more exercise the weather will be nice all day at this time of the year for walking or you could swim in a heated pool. If you visit the beach I looooove doing long early morning or sunset beach walks. I just wear long sleeves or a light jacket and yoga pants or full length leggings to protect myself from bug bites. Also if you visit the beach you can do some kayaking, stand up paddleboarding, run or just play in the sand. I burn way more calories on vacation than I do at home because there are so many fun things to do.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm also leaving in 2 days for a 14-day Florida vacation!! We go there twice a year and I've learned how to manage my calories. I found that MFP has lots of restaurant info loaded in, so many of my meals are already in there. Also, since it's Florida in December, we do a lot of outdoor activities, so I am on the move all day long. I have a fitbit and it's generally pretty acurate about calories burned.

I am an early riser, so I usually get in a good walk by myself before everyone else is up and going. That helps too. Most importantly, don't stress if you go over in calories. Just log it so you keep track. And enjoy yourself!!
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If you will be at Disney the week right after New Year's Eve--that's the best time to go because you can get a Fast Pass for rides, but then the lines are so short that you can actually take one BEFORE the time of your Fast Pass.

If you are staying at a house or other place that has a kitchen, definitely pack a snack/lunch to control what you eat, and save the calories for a fun dinner out with the family. Dance in the Disney parades for exercise!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 7 months or so...I don't log anything anymore save for a spot check here and there. The secret is knowing what a portion for you looks like...whether you're having it at home or out at a restaurant....if you track well you should know roughly what that looks like. This is of course much more difficult if you practice deprivation dieting rather than portion control and moderation.

But really, it all comes down to portion control, moderation, and self control and being mindful of what you are putting into your mouth whether you're writing it down or not.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    One thing that I find is that portions in restaurants are usually twice the size of a regular serving. Think about starting with a salad and splitting the entrée with your spouse/other family member.

Bring some granola bars/trail mix etc. with you and drink lots of water. If I let myself get hungry I am more incline to go WAY overboard at my next meal.

Don't let eating stress you out - enjoy your holiday, and, if you end up gaining a little bit of actual weight (once all the water weight goes away after a couple of days of resumed healthy eating/cooking) then, you just work at dropping them - like is like that, which is probably why so many of us don't have one number we make sure we weigh, we have a range, if I am over my goal weight by 3 pounds then I need to change something.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    As a previous poster said, If you go to Disney or Universal for that matter, you will do a lot of walking. If you have any kind of pedometer, you should wear it, because you will be shocked by the amount of ground you will cover and calories you will burn. Enjoy yourself. Most of the weight you will gain (if any) will be from sodium in fast food and restaurant food, so remember to hydrate. That kind of weight come off as quickly as it comes on.
  • klmorg1227
    klmorg1227 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    In a little less than two days I'll be leaving for a ten day vacation in Florida with my family! :) I'm so excited, but I'm fairly certain I won't be able to log accurately since there will be a lot of eating out/home meals. I haven't done this in a LONG time (except for Thanksgiving, which was one meal, and I still went over 3,000 calories on - yikes). I'm very disciplined when counting my calories, but when it's unknown I tend to make less than sober decisions. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for eating out, eating with family, or any tips in general? Hopefully if I do go over I'll burn it off by walking a lot in some Disney parks, but I know how fast calories can add up, and with maintenance a few days of indulging (or worse, ten) can really mess up all your hard work, so I'm still nervous :x

I am also an AVID calorie counter and very strict about my regimen.

I just got to my goal weight two weeks before we went on an 8 day Disney vacation. I was TOTALLY panicking. I even lost an extra 3 pounds before we left below my goal weight. I knew we would be walking a lot, as an active Disney vacationer walks about 5 miles a day on average. We stayed at a Disney resort and they had a great trail around the lake that was 1.5 miles. I ran about 3 to 4 miles 6 out of the 8 days we were there. Did situps in our room, But did not count even one calorie...I mean how many vacations a year do we get like that?...with my family its only one a year. SO I ate what I wanted...still adhered to not eating too late at night, (mostly, although I did have cookies and hot chocolate at Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party !! ). All in all I had 8 days of bliss...still exercising but enjoying myself and not driving my family nuts about not eating with them. I had brownies and ice cream if I wanted them. Did stay away from fried foods and attempted to order the better choices off the menu but didn't freak out about things either. Had Mickey Waffles one morning...WITH SYRUP AND A DAB OF BUTTER!!! I never felt like my clothes were getting tight or that I was gaining. At the end of vacation...and after three days home back on my regimen...I weighed myself...and I was still one pound under my goal weight!! I gained only 2 pounds the entire 8 days.

Have fun and don't stress... enjoy your trip
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My family has gone to Disney World for a week vacation for the last three years. Every time I go I eat anything I want, basically. I really just eat what sounds good, period. I'm not usually a big sweets person, but at Disney I indulge in Mickey Bars and churros and am a sucker for an apple cobbler at the resort snack bar before bed. I am certainly eating WELL OVER what I would at home.

According to Fit Bit, I also walk over 20K steps a day, and include swimming on top of that.
    Every single time I come home weighing a pound or so LESS than when I left. What they say must be true - calories don't count at Disney. wizard.gif:bigsmile:
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Have an amazing time, I am totally jealous. :happy: You will walk a ton so that helps, although it is usually a stroll or standing in line. A couple of suggestions:

1 - If you are staying somewhere that you have a freezer, get a water bottle and fill it one half to two thirds full and freeze it overnight. That way you have cold water to drink at the parks. This also works well with lemon aid and iced tea. If you have something cold to drink you may not be as tempted to get the ice-cream bar you buy your kids (every day - or at least we wanted them every day). I suggest one with a strap or case that you can wear over your shoulder.

2 - You can pack some snacks of your own. Small items that fit in your purse. Those halloween size packages of gummy candy that you can give your kids when the line is really long and just eat one piece for yourself. Some packages of crackers that you can eat while the rest of your family has a more calorie laden snack. If there is a snack you really want have it (enjoy your vacation) but so many times we eat what is available because we are hungry; there isn't any sense in wasting those calories.

3 - Check the outside food policy of the parks online before you go so that you know what you are allowed to bring in so you know if you can bring some fruit or something..

4 - If you drink diet soda go ahead and get that if your sweet tooth starts acting up.

5 - Whatever you bring to the park, make sure you are willing to carry it all day or that you have a plan for dealing with it (back of a stroller, back of a wheelchair depending on the ages and physical abilities of who in your family is going) Lockers are available, just make sure that you aren't locking up something you won't want to walk all of the way across the park to get each time you want it.

Nervous is understandable, being careful is good, just don't let it spoil your trip and have fun.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It was easy at Disney honestly. I maintained there easily for 4 days eating whatever I wanted for breakfast (hear chocolate chips pancakes with syrup), and in 4 days I had a huge plate of spaghetti and meatballs, a German hotdog, two pieces of some god-awful pizza (never order from that place that advertises at Disney. Yikes), and a French pastry. The rest of the time I was eating salads with dressing on the side, salmon with veggies and rice etc. Most of the restaurants over there have healthy options honestly (it's not always great, but what can you do). But we did so much walking that 1-2 'bad' meals a day was not a problem at all. I brought in Quest bars and ate one a day between meals, and that was it for snacks.

I'd be more worried about the home meals if you're staying with family, lol.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Go for sirloin steak and vegetables when you can. Taste great and won't completely kill your macros.