Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I lost 91lbs in a year
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt listen to any of the above posts. No disrespect.

There is no point trying to set a bar really high for such a sustained period of time. You can easily get bored of the harsh routines that you will have to impose on yourself, the food you eat, and will most likely get frustrated from a more radical than average weight loss target.

All relevant factors.

Why not just try and lose 0.5-1lb per week?

I have to disagree. No disrespect.

If you set the bar too low, you can easily get frustrated with the lack of results and give up. At .5 a week, it'd take 2.7 years to lose 70 lbs. Not at all reasonable IMO.

Why not aim to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs a week for the first 50 lbs and then then slow it down to .5 - 1 lb. a week when you get within 20 lbs. of your goal? You'd lose the 70 in a year with this method and see results in a timely manner to encourage you and keep you on course.

Please explain on how 0.5-1lb is too low give that most people become grateful for any weight loss. 70lbs is a around 5-6 stone. That is a hugely significant amount. Losing that amount of weight is a marathon, not a sprint.

Rushing to get rid of that is just unhealthy, involves serious amount of undereating and is just unnecessary. It is also unrealistic to try to lose 2lb a week given the eating habits that a such a person would have had prior.

So what if it takes 2.5 years? I would rather lose it slowly than die trying.
  • eldamiano
    Options

There is no point trying to set a bar really high for such a sustained period of time. You can easily get bored of the harsh routines that you will have to impose on yourself, the food you eat, and will most likely get frustrated from a more radical than average weight loss target.

All relevant factors.

If you set the bar too low, you can easily get frustrated with the lack of results and give up. At .5 a week, it'd take 2.7 years to lose 70 lbs. Not at all reasonable IMO.

Why not aim to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs a week for the first 50 lbs and then then slow it down to .5 - 1 lb. a week when you get within 20 lbs. of your goal? You'd lose the 70 in a year with this method and see results in a timely manner to encourage you and keep you on course.

Please explain on how 0.5-1lb is too low give that most people become grateful for any weight loss. 70lbs is a around 5-6 stone. That is a hugely significant amount. Losing that amount of weight is a marathon, not a sprint.

Rushing to get rid of that is just unhealthy, involves serious amount of undereating and is just unnecessary. It is also unrealistic to try to lose 2lb a week given the eating habits that a such a person would have had prior.

• Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options

LOL. Must be LOTS of dead people on MFP.

IF you have a significant amount of weight to lose (i.e. you are obese), 2 pounds a week is not at all extreme and will not result in death.
  • ideang
    ideang Posts: 95
    Options
    I have lost 64lbs in 6 months. I started out with 2lb a week goal, and as the calorie allotment got lower I changed the goal to 1.5lbs per week, and now at 1lb per week. You can do it if you follow your plan closely. Also, you don't have to starve to lose it. I have never had my calorie goal less then 1350 NET, and that was only for a week until I changed it to 1lb a week.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Its def possible, esp if you are bigger to start with. I have 10mths in & I am down 96lbs. I started out at 295lbs. Be strong, stubborn (that is what got me through the first few weeks which were the hardest) & don't give up!
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible! I'm down 60 pounds in 7 months w/a nowhere near perfect "dieting" history. I give myself weekly cheat days and sometimes eat more than I should on others, but I'm sticking with my workouts no matter what and I'm STILL losing. You can do it! It all starts with mindset.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Divide 12 months into 70 pounds and it feels and sounds so much more reasonable. Best to you on your journey.

Shirley in Oregon
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    For sure! That is my goal for 2014. Let's lose the 70lbs pound for pound. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm just starting my ultimate weight loss goal of losing 70lbs by the end of 2014. Do you think its possible to lose that much weight in a year? I'm 22 years old 5"6 and weigh 200lbs. I would like to get to my goal weight of 130lbs. And I am calling out to all weight loss buddies who are also on this journey of losing 70lbs+ by the end of 2014 to join me.!!! ^_^

I lost 74.4 lbs in 1 year and I'm 26 and 5'5" :)

Start weight: 206.8
    Goal weight: 132.4
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I lost 126 lbs since 2nd of Feb so it is possible
  • eldamiano
    Options

IF you have a significant amount of weight to lose (i.e. you are obese), 2 pounds a week is not at all extreme and will not result in death.

Figure

Of

Speech
  • Lives2Travel
    Options
    For sure! That is my goal for 2014. Let's lose the 70lbs pound for pound. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

We need to start a group! I have 75 more to go (lost 75 in the last 6 months) and fully intend to lose the rest in 2014.
  • Lives2Travel
    Options

Figure

Of

Speech

Inflammatory

Figure

Of

Speech

That

Some

Will

Take

As

FACT.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

All relevant factors.

:huh:

A year is, essentially, 52 weeks. 70 lbs in 52 weeks is less than 1.5 lbs per week. 1.35, to be more accurate. A loss of 2 lbs per week for 3 months, then 1.5 lbs per week for 3 months, then 1 lb per week for 6 months, followed by 0.5 lbs per week for the rest of the year is not unrealistic.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

All relevant factors.

That's the problem these days, people have no patience. Putting the bar too high and then wondering how come I can't hold on or how come I gained everything back? Besides losing weight should not only be for looking better, but for feeling better and healthier as well. Doing it slower without any time limit doesn't cause so much stress and less change of lacking vital nutrition.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    The answer is YES!
    I gave myself 7 months to lose 100 pounds, it took 8.
    Every time you want to stray, just tell yourself it's only 1 year
    Stay the course.
    Good luck
  • Lives2Travel
    Options

A year is, essentially, 52 weeks. 70 lbs in 52 weeks is less than 1.5 lbs per week. 1.35, to be more accurate. A loss of 2 lbs per week for 3 months, then 1.5 lbs per week for 3 months, then 1 lb per week for 6 months, followed by 0.5 lbs per week for the rest of the year is not unrealistic.

Exactly. I fail to see how this approach could be considered extreme or unhealthy.

P.S. Cute dog
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    P.S. Cute dog

What - the goat isn't cute? :laugh:

Not mine. I was Santa for Pet Pics With Santa. A girl came in with a dog and a goat. Okie dokie.
  • Lives2Travel
    Options
    That's the problem these days, people have no patience. Putting the bar too high and then wondering how come I can't hold on or how come I gained everything back? Besides losing weight should not only be for looking better, but for feeling better and healthier as well. Doing it slower without any time limit doesn't cause so much stress and less change of lacking vital nutrition.

I agree that patience is needed in all things. However, some people do better with concrete goals and time limits. Just because they have them does not equate to stress and poor nutrition. It may for some, but for others having goals to reach is empowering and motivating.