Dieting and exercising for 18 months and not lost weight!

Options

Replies

• drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mum, in my fifties, and have been exercising in a similar way for years. Believe me, my estimating how much I ate was really not accurate at all, and logging everything meticulously on MFP has helped me to see where the calories are coming from. I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't entirely honest with you either. It's not easy to admit eating habits to others, I know from experience. It's great that you are concerned about her, but she has to buy into it herself. Good luck.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    she needs to cut out the bread.. and eat atleast 5 smaller and HEALTHIER meals a day!
    NO BREADS, PASTRIES, REFINED CARBS, WHITE RICE - EAT A BIG BREAKFAST, MEDIUM LUNCH AND SMALL DINNER AND EAT DINNER BEFORE 5. ANYTHING AND EVERTHING AFTER THAT WILL TURN TO FAT. eat more protein, lean meat, eggs, veg, plain yogurt etc.. whole wheat rice rather than white rice. rye bread is she must have bread. small changes - HUGE DIFFERENCE. really make your dinner the smallest meal of the day.. and just enough to not be hungry. fill it up with water / tea.

I eat all those things, 3 meals a day, main meal after 6pm with snacks later in an evening and have lost 82lbs in less than 9 months, also maintained my muscle mass with strength training so loss is all fat. Other than that your post makes perfect sense as to why I haven't lost any weight... :huh:

i eat pizza once / week. and its usually not sooner than aroun d9 pm.

heck each day i have dinner no sooner than around 9, i come home around 7 so... man i knew that was wrong

hahahha
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    she needs to cut out the bread.. and eat atleast 5 smaller and HEALTHIER meals a day!
    NO BREADS, PASTRIES, REFINED CARBS, WHITE RICE - EAT A BIG BREAKFAST, MEDIUM LUNCH AND SMALL DINNER AND EAT DINNER BEFORE 5. ANYTHING AND EVERTHING AFTER THAT WILL TURN TO FAT. eat more protein, lean meat, eggs, veg, plain yogurt etc.. whole wheat rice rather than white rice. rye bread is she must have bread. small changes - HUGE DIFFERENCE. really make your dinner the smallest meal of the day.. and just enough to not be hungry. fill it up with water / tea.

the broscience is strong with this one.
    btw, personally i only have 3 meals a day with dinner usually being my biggest meal and its usually filled with loads of carbs since i eat lean throughout the day so i can indulge in the carbs i have left. and im talkin crackers, flavored rice cakes etc, not brown rice or w/e. I was still able to get to 8.5% bf eatting this way by just watching the numbers behind what i eat
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Wow all these replies are rediculous. Personally, I don't lose weight with calories in calories out. I would point out that she is not eating enough and she is not getting enough protein and vegetables. I would get her to try lower her carb intake at least with the bread, if I eat bread I don't lose weight. Also has she gone to the doctor to rule out anything medical?
    So what you're saying is that if you eat 900 calories for 18 months with that exercise you wont lose any weight? Don't be silly

I ate in deficit for years and worked out, so yes I am saying that.

Calories in, calories out works for everyone; physics isn't wrong. The problems almost always lies in the math. If you aren't losing weight over the long term, you are either taking in more than you think or you are burning less than you think. This is a universal truth. You can't argue with math.

Believe what you want, but everyone is different and the body works on chemistry not physics
  • muffinbunni24
    Options
    different strokes for different folks. I cant see eating a plate of heavy food just an hour or so before you go to bed is healthy, but hey, if it works for you. .. good for you. there's millions of opinions out there of what works and what not... and its different for every single person... the basic still remains.... to loose weight... you have to put out more than you put in. :indifferent: :smile:
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode

Do some people do better with high protein low carbs? Sure. Do some people do better with the other way around? Also true.

That said after 18mths if she was truly eating 900 cals she would have lost weight regardless of what she ate, because at her weight her body burns more just to stay alive. If she is exercising, it'll be even more.

Is she drinking only water or black coffee? No milk, creamer, alcohol, soft drink? No secret ice cream at night? No treats? The reason why I am asking is that I would have sworn my mother-in-law only ate about 1000 cals (she is extremely sedentary though). However I started to seriously count her calories one day and it turns out the small coffee that she had each morning was a flavoured sachet that contained some 250 cals and also she'd have 2 large glasses of wine a night so that was about 500 cals there as well. So she didn't really need to eat a lot of food to get up to her maintenance of 1800 cals. You ask her though and she'll swear she only takes in very little and she really can't see where the weight is coming from.

This is an interesting discussion...

But I think this person said it...

You gotta count the coffee cream and the sugar....and what about those little nibbles of things lying around?

I've only lost three pounds in three months. 1600 cals a day. Sun to thurs. And it's got everything to do with my sabotage weekends.

Also, I agree, some of those meds can cause water retention.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Get her to cut her carbs for a few weeks, drink tonnes of water and change her exercise routine. Something doesn't add up!
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    Wow all these replies are rediculous. Personally, I don't lose weight with calories in calories out. I would point out that she is not eating enough and she is not getting enough protein and vegetables. I would get her to try lower her carb intake at least with the bread, if I eat bread I don't lose weight. Also has she gone to the doctor to rule out anything medical?
    So what you're saying is that if you eat 900 calories for 18 months with that exercise you wont lose any weight? Don't be silly

Calories in, calories out works for everyone; physics isn't wrong. The problems almost always lies in the math. If you aren't losing weight over the long term, you are either taking in more than you think or you are burning less than you think. This is a universal truth. You can't argue with math.

Believe what you want, but everyone is different and the body works on chemistry not physics

your body works on all the sciences - chemistry, biology and physics.
    btw, chemistry has to follow the laws of physics too
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Actually we are 99.99% all the same. Unless there is a medical or hormonal condition you will lose weight in a deficit. It is usually an error in either cals burned (BMR, exercise, TDEE, etc) or cals in (if you don't weigh solids or measure liquids could be way off)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.

The magic number (well, on here anyway) is meant to be 1200 calories per day to lose weight. I know from experience that if I were to consume 1200 calories per day for any length of time, be it from 5 small meals per day or just one large meal per day, I gain weight (and I'm doing the insanity programme!). That's just an example from my own experiences... Everyone's body is different.

That said, most people underestimate how much they eat, you know. Does you mum maybe pick up a biscuit or two when she's peckish (I do.... and that's easily an extra 100 calories right there that are quickly forgotten about). Also, remember that when people are asked about what they 'typically' eat, they'll automatically give you one of their healthiest days "oh, I have a slice of toast for breakfast, soup for lunch and a nice healthy chicken and rice for dinner' (the example you gave was an identikit response really, wasn't it?). They don't tell you that the next day, the toast was a bacon roll, and another day the chicken and rice was a pizza, or a burger.

How is your mum with technology, could you maybe introduce her to MFP? Tracking exactly what is consumed each day would maybe help identify what's holding back the loss.

If you think you gain on 1200 cals while doing insanity you either have a medical condition or your cals in calculation (estimation) is way off, or you are 3'4, 65lbs.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options

I'll trust science rather than belief, thanks. Everyone is different, but the basics are the same for everyone. And for the record, chemistry is just an application of physics.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.

The magic number (well, on here anyway) is meant to be 1200 calories per day to lose weight. I know from experience that if I were to consume 1200 calories per day for any length of time, be it from 5 small meals per day or just one large meal per day, I gain weight (and I'm doing the insanity programme!). That's just an example from my own experiences... Everyone's body is different.

That said, most people underestimate how much they eat, you know. Does you mum maybe pick up a biscuit or two when she's peckish (I do.... and that's easily an extra 100 calories right there that are quickly forgotten about). Also, remember that when people are asked about what they 'typically' eat, they'll automatically give you one of their healthiest days "oh, I have a slice of toast for breakfast, soup for lunch and a nice healthy chicken and rice for dinner' (the example you gave was an identikit response really, wasn't it?). They don't tell you that the next day, the toast was a bacon roll, and another day the chicken and rice was a pizza, or a burger.

How is your mum with technology, could you maybe introduce her to MFP? Tracking exactly what is consumed each day would maybe help identify what's holding back the loss.

If you think you gain on 1200 cals while doing insanity you either have a medical condition or your cals in calculation (estimation) is way off, or you are 3'4, 65lbs.

some people just want to get rid of all their LBM as quickly as possible!
  • muffinbunni24
    Options
    Certainly what we eat has an enormous impact on our health and weight status. But did you know that when and how we eat also make a huge difference? Eating at the appropriate times throughout the day will help to maximize fat burning and keep hunger at bay.

Aim to eat every 3 to 4 hours. Most people eat three meals and one snack, while others may prefer four smaller meals; you're free to find the combination that works best for you. Timing your meals in this way will improve your fat loss by preventing excess insulin, allowing leptin to work its magic on appetite control and metabolism, and by balancing the stress hormone cortisol. You should also enjoy your meals at the same time every day.

Eat within 1 hour of rising. Your mom was also right when she told you breakfast was the most important meal of the day. When you skip breakfast, you lose its stimulating benefits on your metabolic rate. You also become more likely to eat unbalanced meals, more calories, and larger amounts of saturated fat throughout the day. Plenty of research shows that those of us who skip breakfast are actually heavier. Missing out on a healthy morning meal also increases stress hormones.

Never eat within 3 hours of bedtime. Eating too close to bedtime raises your body temperature, increases blood sugar and insulin, prevents the release of melatonin, and cuts down on growth hormone release. All these factors interfere with the quality of your sleep and the natural fat-burning benefits of a good night’s rest. Furthermore, sleep deprivation leads to more cravings and a greater likelihood of overeating the next day.

If you must eat before bed, opt for a light meal or snack that's high in protein and low in carbohydrates and fat, such as a protein shake made with berries and water, salad with grilled chicken, or a shrimp and veggie stir-fry.

Start the day with protein. For better appetite control throughout the day, try combining your starchy carbs at lunch, dinner, or after your workouts rather than at breakfast. Stick to eggs or whey protein smoothies for breakfast and you'll eat less throughout the day.

Always eat within 45 minutes of finishing your workout. This meal or snack is the only one of the day that should not contain much fat and should be higher in carbohydrates. For example, have a smoothie made with juice, fruit, and protein powder, but no flaxseeds or oil.

Never do your weight training on an empty stomach. You will need energy from your foods to perform optimally. You may, however, complete your cardio before eating if your session will be less than 30 minutes.

Focus on your food. Do not eat while you are doing anything else (i.e., watching TV, working, surfing on the computer, etc.). Focus on chewing your food and relaxing while you eat.

Eat protein first. Eat the protein on your plate first to help speed the signal to your brain that you are full.

Drink alcohol last. If you have alcohol or wine, do so after your meal to enhance the hormones involved in appetite control and digestion.

THIS WAS PULLED FROM THE WOMENS HEALTH MAG WEBPAGE.:ohwell:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Certainly what we eat has an enormous impact on our health and weight status. But did you know that when and how we eat also make a huge difference? Eating at the appropriate times throughout the day will help to maximize fat burning and keep hunger at bay.

Aim to eat every 3 to 4 hours. Most people eat three meals and one snack, while others may prefer four smaller meals; you're free to find the combination that works best for you. Timing your meals in this way will improve your fat loss by preventing excess insulin, allowing leptin to work its magic on appetite control and metabolism, and by balancing the stress hormone cortisol. You should also enjoy your meals at the same time every day.

Eat within 1 hour of rising. Your mom was also right when she told you breakfast was the most important meal of the day. When you skip breakfast, you lose its stimulating benefits on your metabolic rate. You also become more likely to eat unbalanced meals, more calories, and larger amounts of saturated fat throughout the day. Plenty of research shows that those of us who skip breakfast are actually heavier. Missing out on a healthy morning meal also increases stress hormones.

Never eat within 3 hours of bedtime. Eating too close to bedtime raises your body temperature, increases blood sugar and insulin, prevents the release of melatonin, and cuts down on growth hormone release. All these factors interfere with the quality of your sleep and the natural fat-burning benefits of a good night’s rest. Furthermore, sleep deprivation leads to more cravings and a greater likelihood of overeating the next day.

If you must eat before bed, opt for a light meal or snack that's high in protein and low in carbohydrates and fat, such as a protein shake made with berries and water, salad with grilled chicken, or a shrimp and veggie stir-fry.

Start the day with protein. For better appetite control throughout the day, try combining your starchy carbs at lunch, dinner, or after your workouts rather than at breakfast. Stick to eggs or whey protein smoothies for breakfast and you'll eat less throughout the day.

Always eat within 45 minutes of finishing your workout. This meal or snack is the only one of the day that should not contain much fat and should be higher in carbohydrates. For example, have a smoothie made with juice, fruit, and protein powder, but no flaxseeds or oil.

Never do your weight training on an empty stomach. You will need energy from your foods to perform optimally. You may, however, complete your cardio before eating if your session will be less than 30 minutes.

Focus on your food. Do not eat while you are doing anything else (i.e., watching TV, working, surfing on the computer, etc.). Focus on chewing your food and relaxing while you eat.

Eat protein first. Eat the protein on your plate first to help speed the signal to your brain that you are full.

Drink alcohol last. If you have alcohol or wine, do so after your meal to enhance the hormones involved in appetite control and digestion.

You might want to find other sources for your research. I've had no issues eating dinner again my biggest meal of the day, which I usually eat while watching bad TV in bed. 1 to 2 meals a day works perfectly for me. Calories in vs Calories out much easier then all those rules that don't mean anything.
  • delzane
    delzane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dr. Joel Fuhrman in his book, Eat to Live describes how a plant based diet of high nutrient foods can increase your health, regulate your weight, and improve your lifestyle. I do recommend this book and this way of eating...I do not follow it completely, but members of my family do and they are in excellent health and weight. Perhaps your mom is eating the wrong kinds of foods.This way of eating is certainly worth a try.
  • muffinbunni24
    Options
    3 Weight Risks of Too Many Refined Carbohydrates

January 17, 2011 Email This Article Print This Article

Refined Carbohydrates, labelled “bad” carbohydrates, contribute to weight gain and obesity in both adults and children. The refined carbs contribute to weight gain because they cause fluctuations in blood sugar, leading to craving more refined carbs and fatigue. Refined carbohydrates include white bread, pastries, white rice and sugary snacks such as sodas and candy. Many of these carbohydrates are also empty calories, such as candies, soda and chips, and are most likely high in fat and sugar. Here are three risks of eating too many refined carbohydrates.

1. High Glycemic Index (GI)

Foods that contain refined carbohydrates have a high glycemic index, which causes a quick rise and fall in blood sugar after eating. This leads to cravings for more refined carbohydrates and weight gain. It also leads to spikes in blood glucose. However, your body performs best when your blood sugar levels are kept constant. If your blood sugar drops too low, you will experience increased hunger and low energy. These are two things you do not want to happen if you’re trying to maintain or lose weight. Therefore, you should only eat refined carbohydrates in moderation. Choosing foods that have a low GI will help keep blood sugar levels constant, which will help with better, and healthier, weight loss results.

2. Empty Calories

Refined carbohydrates such as candy, soda, chips, pastries and white bread are empty calories because they give the body little, if any, nutrition. Eating these types of foods provides the body with loads of calories and leaves you feeling even more hungry and fatigued. Your body needs nutritious foods to work properly and if you’re not getting the proper nutrients, this can lead to weight gain. In extreme cases, it can also lead to other conditions, such as depression. If you have no energy, you can easily lack interest in physical activities, which ultimately leads to weight gain and obesity.

3. High in Fat and Sugar

Many of the refined carbohydrates such as cakes and pastries are high in sugar. Others such as chips, French fries and sandwiches are made with fattening ingredients. These foods being high in fat and sugar only adds to the problem of obesity and trouble maintaining a healthy weight. Many people eat fast foods because of busy lifestyles. These fast food meals are a combination of empty calories, refined carbs, and high in fat and sugar—which is, of course, a terrible combination for anyone wanting to lose weight.

Refined carbohydrates are fine in moderation. However, to avoid the risk of obesity, you have to get your carbohydrates from fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains. These good carbohydrates give your body energy because they provide vitamins, minerals and fiber. Nutritious carbohydrates have a low GI, reduce blood glucose spikes, give you important nutrients, and are naturally low in calories and fat. Combining complex carbohydrates with lean proteins and low fat products can help you maintain a healthy weight.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    This thread... oh my....
  • muffinbunni24
    Options

You might want to find other sources for your research. I've had no issues eating dinner again my biggest meal of the day, which I usually eat while watching bad TV in bed. 1 to 2 meals a day works perfectly for me. Calories in vs Calories out much easier then all those rules that don't mean anything.

I'm not doing any research. just because YOU eat this way, does not make it healthy or right. You keep on comparing everything to what works for YOU. Not everyone responds the same to certain things. That's why its a good idea to listen to everything and find a way that works for YOU - each to his own. Have a nice day :-)
  • blably
    Options
    Everyone is different.

maybe we have some hobbits here
  • blably
    Options

here you quote about not eating less than 3 hours prior bed, yet you were all about everything after 5pm turns into fat, what now?