How to determine what kind of 'shape' you have?

Options
So I've been looking at the whole apple/pear/hourglass rectangle criteria, and I'm still confuzzled as to what shape best fits me. I wouldn't say I'm an apple as such because even though I do have a bit of flab on my stomach. it's not where the bulk of my weight seems to go. Plus as I've been exercising and eating properly, my stomach has gone down an awful lot.

As for pear, I've read that one of the characteristics of this body shape is that they tend to have smaller breasts and wider hips. My breasts are quite large and my hips are pretty wide. When I gain weight it tends to store in my lower half first, but when I lose weight it doesn't come off. I've lost around 2 stone since May, and whilst my top half has visibly shrunk (I can see my neckbones!), my bottom half has still remained the same. To put into perspective, I can wear a UK size 10 up top, but I'm plus size on my bottom. I wouldn't call my self an hourglass as I think my waist is too big. I really like the shape I have - I think it's my biggest asset. However, I would just like a name to put to it.

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated. :)

Also, when one loses weight, do they lose their shape, too?

Replies

• focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are an hourglass or pear. Probably a pear. If u gain weight on your lower half first and its the last place it comes off, u are a pear. I always thought I was hourglass. When I git to my goal weight, my once large boobs were avg. But my hips were still pretty wide. At my goal weight I saw my true body shape. I couldn't tell when I was overweight. Anyway. Cheers to pears. I think its healthier to be a pear than an apple.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pear, but why does it matter? How does this help you in whatever goals you have?
  • Transformer711
    Options
    It doesn't affect my goals in any way, I guess. However, it has explained why my legs seem to carry the most weight. I have absolutely no problem with being a pear, and I hope, as I continue to lose, that the shape remains.