Strength training to lose weight

Options
I want to do strength training in order to get better definition/look better/be stronger etc. but I still have 20lbs to lose before I reach my goal.

Can you still lose weight and gain muscle at the same time if you eat at a calory deficit? (TDEE-10 or 15% with 40c/40p/20f macs))

I have read that you can not do this. So is it better that I lose the 20lbs first through cardio (HIIT like insanity) and then move onto a beginners weight programme like Stronglifts 5x5.

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If you strength train and have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, no cardio necessary. By strength training on a deficit you're reducing the amount of muscle you lose which is what you want.
  • Jereby10
    Options
    As I understand it, weight training whilst on a calorie deficit diet, will help to speed up weight loss. By burning extra calories during exercise the body starts to tap into stored fat. I am trying this, as well as trying to reduce carbohydrates. I understand that if we use to many carbs prior to training, the body will use new carbs before stored fat. It seems to be working for me. Hope this helps.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    For two months I only weight trained and didn't track calories. I lost no inches or weight but clothes still found a way to get looser.
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Im thinking to lose 10lbs through cardio and then lose the final 10lbs through lifting weights. Its just figruing out whether I can weight train at a tdee of -15% and build muscle or not
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you can't eat in a deficit and gain muscle…you need energy - calorie excess - to gain muscle and that is impossible while eating in a deficit…

when you have lost the ten pounds that you have referenced, you can do a bulk cycle where you eat like 200 cal a day over matinenance….or you could try to eat about 200 cals over maintenance on work out days and then eat in a deficit on non work out days..this is similar to the lean gains method, just no fasting...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I understand that if we use to many carbs prior to training, the body will use new carbs before stored fat. It seems to be working for me. Hope this helps.

your understanding is not correct.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Im thinking to lose 10lbs through cardio and then lose the final 10lbs through lifting weights. Its just figruing out whether I can weight train at a tdee of -15% and build muscle or not

No start lifting now, don't wait 'til the last 10 lbs. the less muscle you lose from lifting the better you will look and feel at every weight while losing.

And no you will probably not gain any muscle on TDEE-15%, but you will not lose what you already have, which if you don't strength train, a larger % of your weight loss will come from muscle, not just the fat you want to lose.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Everything NDJ1979 said. Feed those muscles baby!! Your body will thank you for it in the long run xx
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you can't gain muscle... but you can get stronger and drop body fat.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    but OP yes, start lifting now…I would recommend a program of compound lifts.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

combine them!! you'll see great results from full body training three days a week and cardio 2-3 days a week. so say you lift m-w-f, and you do some cardio tu-th-sat. it would be a really great work out plan to give you a lot of balance.
  • ndj1979
    Options

combine them!! you'll see great results from full body training three days a week and cardio 2-3 days a week. so say you lift m-w-f, and you do some cardio tu-th-sat. it would be a really great work out plan to give you a lot of balance.

this x 10 …

once you lose the 10 pounds you can transition to more of an upper/lower split four days a week and back off cardio …
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

do both cardio and strength to lose the 20lbs... you will like the results better.

no you wont build muscle at TDEE -15% but you cans till make strength gains.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

this x 10 …

once you lose the 10 pounds you can transition to more of an upper/lower split four days a week and back off cardio …

OP, here is a decent link on how to design a work out. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    OP, check out this website --> http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/. It will give you a suggested amount of calories you should eat to lose fat and build muscle. It also has workouts and other resources.
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ok thanks everyone!

So im going to combine of both cardio and strength training for now!

I want to do the stronglifts 5x5 program and running.

Should I eat at a TDEE 20%?

I will keep my macs at 40/40/20
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ok thanks everyone!

I would start out with TDEE-20%, but if you find you are losing weight too rapidly, or you are repeatedly stalling out on your lifts, feeling crappy, losing sleep, feeling irritable, etc, then you will want to change that to a less steep deficit.

Also bear in mind that the closer you get to your goal, the smaller the deficit needs to become to avoid losing unnecessary amounts of LBM. Say, go to TDEE-15%, then TDEE-10% as you zone in on where you want to be. This will keep you able to deal with the demands of the training and leave you looking better at the end.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    ok thanks everyone!

try just -10% for no. you're going to be upping your exercise a lot, and you want to be able to have the energy to keep up with yourself. do that for about a month, and then go from there.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'll contradict prevailing wisdom and assert that, yes, you can gain lean muscle mass at the same time you lose fat while maintaining a significant calorie deficit.

I started out on MFP to get rid of some useless body fat after being diagnosed with (very!) high blood pressure. I started at 171 lbs and opted for a 2lb/week loss, which put me in the 1200 calorie range. In addition to dieting, I started walking for exercise. The first few weeks, I was losing 2-3 pounds a week. Unfortunately, I injured my ankle and couldn't walk for almost a month. Since I couldn't walk, I decided I'd do some resistance training just so I'd have some sort of exercise. Over the next few weeks, I barely lost any weight, and even gained on a few occasions, but I did notice my pants were fitting much looser, and my t-shirts were fitting much tighter. I was loosing fat and gaining weight. I've since started measuring my progress by taking skinfold measurements, and tracking my estimated body fat %, because I might not reach my original target weight of 152lbs, as that would require me getting to around 5-6% body fat if the current fat loss / muscle gain trends continue.

Over the past week, I've only lost .6lb by the scale, but I've lost 2.2lb of fat based on skinfold measurements, so that's 1.6lbs of lean mass that I've gained.

The thing you must do is ensure your protein intake is sufficient. Not necessarily 1g per pound, because that much can only be used when seriously bulking, but somewhere from .4-.8g per pound. Really, though, it depends on how much you've damaged (exerted!) your muscles, so if you don't exercise heavily, .4g/lb is probably enough, but if you work your muscles to failure, or near it, you might want to get closer to the 1g/lb level. Oh, and you need to make sure all of your protein is complete...no, the protein in vegetables/grains/pulses won't usually help, because they're not very protein-dense. You need meat, milk, eggs or soy. Salmon is the ideal source of protein, IMO, but chicken is pretty f*cking awesome, too, and a whole lot cheaper than salmon! Of course, you can take the easy way out and use a protein supplement. I really like Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex, because it's about as protein-dense as possible. You can use this site to check protein quality of foods: http://skipthepie.org/

I choose to split the remainder of my macros between carbs and fats, so I'm at 30p/35c/35f @ 1400 net cals. I'm also taking a daily multivitamin, because the relatively low level of carbs that I take in don't provide me with the various vitamins/minerals needed.

Will this work for everyone? Maybe not. But it's definitely working for me.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying: Start strength training now. There's almost no downside to it, and if you're lucky, you might be able to lose some scale weight while you're getting your body in better shape.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'll contradict prevailing wisdom and assert that, yes, you can gain lean muscle mass at the same time you lose fat while maintaining a significant calorie deficit.

I started out on MFP to get rid of some useless body fat after being diagnosed with (very!) high blood pressure. I started at 171 lbs and opted for a 2lb/week loss, which put me in the 1200 calorie range. In addition to dieting, I started walking for exercise. The first few weeks, I was losing 2-3 pounds a week. Unfortunately, I injured my ankle and couldn't walk for almost a month. Since I couldn't walk, I decided I'd do some resistance training just so I'd have some sort of exercise. Over the next few weeks, I barely lost any weight, and even gained on a few occasions, but I did notice my pants were fitting much looser, and my t-shirts were fitting much tighter. I was loosing fat and gaining weight. I've since started measuring my progress by taking skinfold measurements, and tracking my estimated body fat %, because I might not reach my original target weight of 152lbs, as that would require me getting to around 5-6% body fat if the current fat loss / muscle gain trends continue.

Over the past week, I've only lost .6lb by the scale, but I've lost 2.2lb of fat based on skinfold measurements, so that's 1.6lbs of lean mass that I've gained.

The thing you must do is ensure your protein intake is sufficient. Not necessarily 1g per pound, because that much can only be used when seriously bulking, but somewhere from .4-.8g per pound. Really, though, it depends on how much you've damaged (exerted!) your muscles, so if you don't exercise heavily, .4g/lb is probably enough, but if you work your muscles to failure, or near it, you might want to get closer to the 1g/lb level. Oh, and you need to make sure all of your protein is complete...no, the protein in vegetables/grains/pulses won't usually help, because they're not very protein-dense. You need meat, milk, eggs or soy. Salmon is the ideal source of protein, IMO, but chicken is pretty f*cking awesome, too, and a whole lot cheaper than salmon! Of course, you can take the easy way out and use a protein supplement. I really like Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex, because it's about as protein-dense as possible. You can use this site to check protein quality of foods: http://skipthepie.org/

I choose to split the remainder of my macros between carbs and fats, so I'm at 30p/35c/35f @ 1400 net cals. I'm also taking a daily multivitamin, because the relatively low level of carbs that I take in don't provide me with the various vitamins/minerals needed.

Will this work for everyone? Maybe not. But it's definitely working for me.

I'll echo what everyone else is saying: Start strength training now. There's almost no downside to it, and if you're lucky, you might be able to lose some scale weight while you're getting your body in better shape.

There is a slight noob gain effect, and as a man with testosterone you would be more likely than a lady to gain this, that said most of the tightness in the shirt etc was most likely water stored in the muscle due to working them, not actual muscle gain.