How am I gaining weight?

Options
I've been doing cardio exercise for the past 2 weeks. I'm on the treadmill for 40 minutes 5 days a week and I tell you, the sweat is just dripping off me and I feel great after and everything seemed like it was going fine, I was losing weight and I got down to 227 early this week and as of yesterday I was back up to 229 and its been staying there.

I don't try to overeat, I try to stay within my calorie goal and I've been doing pretty good watching what I eat. I do have a protein bar every morning before I work out, because I can't walk/jog on a empty stomach, I just don't have the energy too.

Also before I get on the treadmill, I do stretches and calves exercises.

I drink plenty of water as well, could it just be water weight? Maybe there is too much sodium in my diet?

It was nice seeing the numbers go down on the scale, but when they are going back up..its really discouraging to me. It seems like every time I want to lose weight and get fit, it never works out..maybe I'm destine to be fat?

I really wish I could do some strength exercises, but I just don't have any weight lifting equipment yet. I'm not trying to over do it like my cousin did and end up destroying his shoulder because he over worked himself. I just want to slowly lose weight and get down to a health weight.

Am I doing something wrong? I know its only been 2 weeks..but I need a sign that I'm losing weight.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You need to log everything-everyday! You may be eating more than you're aware of.
    If you're not a a deficit-you will gain or maintain!
  • Chrisdoc1984
    Options
    Don't let it get you down, stick at it... I don't think weight loss is a constant thing anyway. I have found that I will drop for a while and then either plateau for a bit, or even gain. I logged in at 167lbs last week, without any real change to my diet I have climbed to 170lbs (today). Looking at my weight report graph thing, my loss seems have gone like that... drop, drop, drop, small climb, drop, drop...

Remember that weight is not the be-all and end-all, you might not be dropping the lbs this week, but if you're doing a lot of running, are your leg, and core muscles maybe getting stronger? And heavier? If you're at the gym, do they have one of those machines for measuring body fat? For all the weight is still there, your body fat could still be dropping.

Where you lose is the second you say "the hell with it"... stick in :)
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    - it's only been two weeks
    - you do not seem to log consistently so you might not be in deficit
    - your burns from exercise might be over-estimated
    -it might be water retention - check your sodium levels in your macros
    - you don't need equipment to do strength exercises - look for exercises using body weight
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I've been doing cardio exercise for the past 2 weeks. I'm on the treadmill for 40 minutes 5 days a week and I tell you, the sweat is just dripping off me and I feel great after and everything seemed like it was going fine, I was losing weight and I got down to 227 early this week and as of yesterday I was back up to 229 and its been staying there.

I don't try to overeat, I try to stay within my calorie goal and I've been doing pretty good watching what I eat. I do have a protein bar every morning before I work out, because I can't walk/jog on a empty stomach, I just don't have the energy too.

I drink plenty of water as well, could it just be water weight? Maybe there is too much sodium in my diet?

It was nice seeing the numbers go down on the scale, but when they are going back up..its really discouraging to me. It seems like every time I want to lose weight and get fit, it never works out..maybe I'm destine to be fat?

I really wish I could do some strength exercises, but I just don't have any weight lifting equipment yet. I'm not trying to over do it like my cousin did and end up destroying his shoulder because he over worked himself. I just want to slowly lose weight and get down to a health weight.

Am I doing something wrong? I know its only been 2 weeks..but I need a sign that I'm losing weight.

Yep. You eat less then you lose weight.
  • therealnerwin
    Options
    I have read that losing weight isn't a consistant thing anyways..but you might be right..next week I could get down to 225 or something and then go back up the week after. I know our bodies can fluctuate because sometimes I weigh less at night and weighed heavier in the morning or vice versa.

I'm not going to lie, I love food..who doesn't? There might be some days every now and then when I kind of eat more than I should..especially when I go out to dinner..those meals are about half of my calorie goal..haha. But I don't see that making me gain weight when I eat out a couple times a month?

Today is my birthday..so I don't really plan on counting my calories. I just want to enjoy my day. But I'm still going to work out anyways because I'm trying to make it a habit.

I don't try to under eat because I know that can make you gain weight too..I'm usually right at my goal or if not..slightly over.

I know I don't log everything..I just find it time consuming or I either forget. But I do log it in my head and I've learned how much I can have.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You need a lot more patients. A lot more patients.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's been two weeks, it takes time.

but you're probably doing too much cardio. it's common to dive into cardio as a way to lose weight in the beginning, and not a bad form of exercise at all. less is more.

check out "you are your own gym." push ups and body weight squat and lunges and all kinds of exercises are great. and search for "iron gym pull up bar." i have it in my apartment. it's basically a pull up bar that goes in your doorway without needing to be screwed in. it supports my 230 lbs frame.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

I am only going to address the strength training aspect. YOU DO NOT NEED WEIGHT LIFTING EQUIPMENT! You should really master your body weight first. Trust me you can kill it with body weight alone.
  • Chrisdoc1984
    Options
    I have read that losing weight isn't a consistant thing anyways..but you might be right..next week I could get down to 225 or something and then go back up the week after. I know our bodies can fluctuate because sometimes I weigh less at night and weighed heavier in the morning or vice versa.

I'm not going to lie, I love food..who doesn't? There might be some days every now and then when I kind of eat more than I should..especially when I go out to dinner..those meals are about half of my calorie goal..haha. But I don't see that making me gain weight when I eat out a couple times a month?

Today is my birthday..so I don't really plan on counting my calories. I just want to enjoy my day. But I'm still going to work out anyways because I'm trying to make it a habit.

I don't try to under eat because I know that can make you gain weight too..I'm usually right at my goal or if not..slightly over.

I know I don't log everything..I just find it time consuming or I either forget. But I do log it in my head and I've learned how much I can have.

Calories don't count on your birthday, come on now everyone knows that :happy: :tongue:

Happy Birthday!! :drinker:
  • therealnerwin
    Options
    At the same time, I want to lose weight..but I don't want to become a fitness guru..that just isn't who I am. I've been overweight for much of my life..except when I was child. I was really sick then..nothing but skin and bones. I could never gain weight..until the doctors figured out what I was wrong and fixed it..I started gain weight like insane. When I was born..most babies have baby fat..I never got that. I mean I almost died then or so I've been told from my mother.

In school, I avoided physical education..even in high school. I hated it and to be honest..I'm not much of a fan of exercising still to day but I am trying to best I can.

Im starting to think that maybe it just isn't for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    At the same time, I want to lose weight..but I don't want to become a fitness guru..that just isn't who I am. I've been overweight for much of my life..except when I was child. I was really sick then..nothing but skin and bones. I could never gain weight..until the doctors figured out what I was wrong and fixed it..I started gain weight like insane. When I was born..most babies have baby fat..I never got that. I mean I almost died then or so I've been told from my mother.

In school, I avoided physical education..even in high school. I hated it and to be honest..I'm not much of a fan of exercising still to day but I am trying to best I can.

starting to exercise and trying to lose weight doesn't make you a fitness guru. it just means you're trying to take care of your body. it's the only one you have. a lot of us have gotten some information about fitness that we try and share and pass along, but thats all.

and many people aren't fans of exercising... until they find something they like. i know a lot of women that would cardio cardio cardio all the time, hating every second of it, but the moment they touched a barbell (or went to a boxing class or did zumba etc etc) they fell in love and now love to exercise.

find something you like dude.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

i know a lot of women that would cardio cardio cardio all the time, hating every second of it, but the moment they touched a barbell (or went to a boxing class or did zumba etc etc) they fell in love and now love to exercise.

This was me ;) . .. I now count down and can't wait for my next lifting day.... (19 hours... )
  • therealnerwin
    Options
    Well if the weight would just fall off while sitting here, then I'd like that. hahaha. :)

But for the past two weeks, this is the most I've done in the entire year. I guess I should just stick with it for now.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options

starting to exercise and trying to lose weight doesn't make you a fitness guru. it just means you're trying to take care of your body. it's the only one you have. a lot of us have gotten some information about fitness that we try and share and pass along, but thats all.

and many people aren't fans of exercising... until they find something they like. i know a lot of women that would cardio cardio cardio all the time, hating every second of it, but the moment they touched a barbell (or went to a boxing class or did zumba etc etc) they fell in love and now love to exercise.

find something you like dude.

I hate cardio and, because I am in my 50s, feel embarrassed in dance classes. I started lifting and, although still very much a beginner and progressing slowly, am amazed at the differences it is making. My flabby arms are gradually toning up and my legs are so much better! I still do some cardio, but only the stuff I like, mainly the stepping machine and rowing rather than running and doing HITT.. Dont be too hard on yourself. You have lost 16 pounds. Great! Restart when you feel like it and are in the right mind to do it. Forcing yourself won't help! I plateau continually and probably have not lost nearly enough weight over a year compared to other people, but it is still a loss and I am happier for it. Good luck!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You need a lot more patients. A lot more patients.

isnt it patience? patients is some one who needs medical attention
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

This is the answer to your question. Gaining weight means you are eating more than you are supposed to have. Try to pre-log. Most of us forget tons of what we eat relying on memory alone. Most of us won't out-exercise our intake through intuition alone. (Studies have shown that the majority of us are very inaccurate relying on keeping track mentally. Using a food diary or log greatly increases success. Just the other day, I logged at the end of the day, and my first run through, forgot 300 calories.)
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    As others have said, weight loss fluctuates. The problem with people who look at their weight frequently is that they can get discouraged because they see what appears to be a gain. With me it looked like I had gained two pounds, but by the next morning it was back down again with a bit of a loss on top of it. There are factors such as hormone levels, as well as salt intake (for me it was because I'd eaten in a restaurant and of course the food had a lot of salt even without me adding any myself, hence water retention). You need to look at the long term and not worry, especially if it hasn't even been a month.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Looking through your food diary, it seems that you don't complete your logging everyday. Are you weighing and measuring your food?
  • werewolfseeker
    werewolfseeker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have the same problem too at times. It very much is discouraging but I bump myself back up, I lost X amount of weight and I'm not going to through that away. There are a few reasons you can be gaining back weight. 1. Water weight is very possible since you just started (?) 2. Muscle weight is also a factor. I don't know about sodium affect the weight but I guess thats possible. Also someone mentioned maybe your not recording all the things you eat, (lord knows I do that at times lol). But don't sweat it, and just keep working out. Stressing can be a factor also. and I know! too much factors that affect the body xD.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You probably just need to poop.