I LOVE ramen noodles..

Options
I know they are not very healthy, but I LOVE them and find myself still really hungry after I eat them.. has anyone tried anything to go with Ramen noodles.. like meat or anything..?

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The reason you are still hungry is that they don't have much nutritional value, and if you are eating them with the seasoning packet, you are taking in a big LOAD of sodium, which is not good for your body either.

You could improve your diet by switching to some whole wheat pasta, combining with veggies and lean protein, like chicken, lean beef. Then you will have a complete meal with sufficient protein.

Ramen by itself isn't worth much, nutritionally. If you can't give them up completely, use only about 1/4 of the seasoning packet and add veggies and protein to them. That would still be an improvement.
  • megan_mp
    megan_mp Posts: 77
    Options
    I've cooked them with egg whites before for some protein and snap peas. I omit the seasoning packet, drain the water and use a little bit of reduced sodium soy sauce.

I also know they're not something that I can get a lot of nutrition from, but the texture and taste of them is so darn good!

Good luck!
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    We add a pound of hamburger and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Its a favorite around here. There are 6 of us so thats usually 5 or 6 packets but its really good as leftovers too. I have done 3 packets with half a pound of hamburger and half a can of soup too.
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    still hungry due to the lack of protein, I know i love them too, if you just have to have them, add some lean grilled chicken on the side.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Ramen by itself isn't worth much, nutritionally. If you can't give them up completely, use only about 1/4 of the seasoning packet and add veggies and protein to them. That would still be an improvement.

I think this is wonderful advice. If you need to eat them to meet that craving then add a whole chopped up chicken breast and some veggies like bell peps, broccoli, onions, zucchini, squash, etc. Good luck to you!!!!
  • LockhartTx
    Options
    I dip my peanut butter and jelly sandwich in mine. It makes me happy =)
  • JGurl14
    JGurl14 Posts: 2
    Options
    If your talking about the marauchan brand noodles and are worrying about your sodium ,they sell low in sodium kind.
    And they taste just like the regular!!! Sadly, they're kind of hard to find though.
  • jeweljade
    Options
    when I was growing up in Japan my mom made them for lunch, and she would put all kinds of things in it. We would steam pean sprouts, a couple slices of ham, Shi ta ke (had to space the work out cause they thought it was a bleeper LOL) mushrooms, a couple of pieces of tofu in cubes, snow peas, and sometimes an egg. By the time you put all of that on top you really don't need as many noodles. =)
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    You could try shirataki noodles for your ramen bowls....or buckwheat, or udon. You might never go back to regular ramen after trying those. :)
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I add shrimp or cooked chicken (cut up in small chunks), skip the packet or add just half, throw in some semi frozen broccoli or carrots. I love the stuff too. I limit myself to a few packages a month.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

I think this is wonderful advice. If you need to eat them to meet that craving then add a whole chopped up chicken breast and some veggies like bell peps, broccoli, onions, zucchini, squash, etc. Good luck to you!!!!
    Such a great idea! I love Ramen!!
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    i LOVE them too! chicken is my fave! i was just looking at them in my food drawer at work but i opted for a turkey burger instead (dry, nothing on it) and i'm glad i did! i think if i eat a pack of ramen noodles, i'll want another!
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    I don't know about the nutritional value of the noodles, the packet is only some spices, some bouillon, and lost of sodium laced with MSG's. Not that it's all bad, unless your looking to reduce sodium, there just isn't much there. As another member mentioned, add some creamed soup and meat. She uses mushroom and burger, but you could use cream of chicken with chicken chunks, or whatever you like. Now, toss in some kind of vegetable, either in your Raman, or as a side and you have a meal. Just remember, the creamed soups are very high in sodiums, too. An alternative is to use low sodium or homemade soups or if you just like the Raman as it's packaged, toss the packet, mix in a teaspoon of low sodium bouillon, or homemade soup base, and season with your favorite spices. Enjoy a good salad with some boiled eggs, seafood, or other meat as a side dish and enjoy in moderation.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I use Koyo brand ramen, it's MSG free. I just checked the packet, it does still have 1093mg sodium. I add shrimp and whatever veg I have on hand. Maybe you can find a healthier brand near you.