XMAS RUN CHALLENGE

Options

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I cannot fathom the idea of trying to squeeze in a workout on Christmas day. From the time I wake up to the time I go to bed at night, I will be with family.

I plan on getting 7-10 miles in before anyone else wakes up. Not that hard to fathom.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I cannot fathom the idea of trying to squeeze in a workout on Christmas day. From the time I wake up to the time I go to bed at night, I will be with family.

I don't have family near me.

Even if I did, I would still lift (not running...sorry...coz me and running...lol). I enjoy it and not that many people spend every waking hour with family on Christmas.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    If lifting counts, that is exactly what I will be doing on Xmas day.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

I plan on getting 7-10 miles in before anyone else wakes up. Not that hard to fathom.

Making it a point to get up at 5 am on a holiday after being up until 2 am the night before (midnight Christmas Eve mass) sounds seriously counterproductive considering the importance of rest/sleep in terms of fitness. Of course if you have the luxury of getting to bed earlier by all means.

In any case, shorting myself on sleep just to make time for a workout on a day that I've always viewed as being more about the kids and family than anything else doesn't sit well with me.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Even if I did, I would still lift (not running...sorry...coz me and running...lol). I enjoy it and not that many people spend every waking hour with family on Christmas.

We have company coming over on Christmas and they will pretty much be there from dawn to about 9-10pm.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    oh. i thought this was another rum thread. sorry. i'll show myself out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

We have company coming over on Christmas and they will pretty much be there from dawn to about 9-10pm.

I think that is probably a different situation to a lot of people. For example, I do not have company coming over. I just take my grandmother out (coz cooking and me is about as lol'able as running and me) for lunch, so there is plenty of time to work out without impinging on family time. I am sure other people have similar situations where it does not.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Making it a point to get up at 5 am on a holiday after being up until 2 am the night before (midnight Christmas Eve mass) sounds seriously counterproductive considering the importance of rest/sleep in terms of fitness. Of course if you have the luxury of getting to bed earlier by all means.

In any case, shorting myself on sleep just to make time for a workout on a day that I've always viewed as being more about the kids and family than anything else doesn't sit well with me.

Is it difficult being so much better than everyone else?
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I think that is probably a different situation to a lot of people. For example, I do not have company coming over. I just take my grandmother out (coz cooking and me is about as lol'able as running and me) for lunch, so there is plenty of time to work out without impinging on family time. I am sure other people have similar situations where it does not.

We're very big on trying to keep to the Italian Christmas feast of the seven fishes here (or rather the bastardized Americanized version of it lol). We have a seafood banquet at our house that will last from lunch time until dinner time, and my sister is coming over at 7-8 am to help us set things up. It's something that we as a family started doing after my mom lost her mother (who was an Italian immigrant) in 2004.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

We're very big on trying to keep to the Italian Christmas feast of the seven fishes here (or rather the bastardized Americanized version of it lol). We have a seafood banquet at our house that will last from lunch time until dinner time, and my sister is coming over at 7-8 am to help us set things up. It's something that we as a family started doing after my mom lost her mother (who was an Italian immigrant) in 2004.

Okay, don't work out on Christmas then. That's fine.

Just don't make others feel like they don't care about spending time with their families, simply because they choose to workout on a holiday.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Better than everyone else? No. I posted in this thread because I see a lot of people falling into extremely regimented eating and workout habits, sometimes taking it to a level that constitutes an unhealthy obsession. And part of getting fit/healthy is emotional. Accepting, acknowledging, and even enjoying that sometimes, breaking schedule, taking a day off, can be just as important in reaching goals as the work you put in. Sara I'm sure understands that. You see it during the holidays every year. People who are trying to lose weight panic about the fact that they can't control what's being served to them on holiday feasts. One day doesn't matter. People need to know, understand, and get comfortable with that.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    My current schedule is short morning run, then bouldering in Fontainbleau with my girls as they are getting new equipment (shhh!)
    If I don't get up for it the run will be dropped but we'll do something, foshur.

But I really don't care about staying within calories for those days.

Chapon, huitres, escargot, saumon, doigts de fe, chevre, buche de noel, fois gras and a bit of bubbly are only a few of the things planned for the day. Proper French meal. JSF.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    if we go to my bf's dad's on xmas...I'll definitely be running. As far as I can. Otherwise, i'm prolly gonna eat all teh cookies and cake and pie and turkey and ham and may just fall asleep.

So either way, NO family time. Sorry/Not sorry.

Kidding. Well, about the no family time. Not about running as far as I can if we go to bf's dad's house. In fact I might make whatever day we go there my 14 mile long run day.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Better than everyone else? No. I posted in this thread because I see a lot of people falling into extremely regimented eating and workout habits, sometimes taking it to a level that constitutes an unhealthy obsession. And part of getting fit/healthy is emotional. Accepting, acknowledging, and even enjoying that sometimes, breaking schedule, taking a day off, can be just as important in reaching goals as the work you put in. Sara I'm sure understands that. You see it during the holidays every year. People who are trying to lose weight panic about the fact that they can't control what's being served to them on holiday feasts. One day doesn't matter. People need to know, understand, and get comfortable with that.

Thanks for your concern. I apologize for my harsh earlier words. I do agree that rest days are important, and that people need to learn to not be obsessive with their working out, however Christmas is also Wednesday, and Wednesday isn't a rest day on my training plan :smile:

I run because I like it, not to lose weight. As I said earlier, I am really looking forward to my Christmas morning run (and yes its 12 miles, but 12 miles isn't a long run for me). I envision snow and peace and quiet. I look forward to running through the woods. Then I am looking forward to going home, taking a hot shower, and making my mom a fabulous Christmas breakfast.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I am in. I am 98% of the time the first one up and running makes me feel good and accomplished. 4 miles for me!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Thanks for your concern. I apologize for my harsh earlier words. I do agree that rest days are important, and that people need to learn to not be obsessive with their working out, however Christmas is also Wednesday, and Wednesday isn't a rest day on my training plan :smile:

I run because I like it, not to lose weight. As I said earlier, I am really looking forward to my Christmas morning run (and yes its 12 miles, but 12 miles isn't a long run for me). I envision snow and peace and quiet. I look forward to running through the woods. Then I am looking forward to going home, taking a hot shower, and making my mom a fabulous Christmas breakfast.

It's cool =) No offense taken. I just get overly concerned about people in general taking it to an unhealthy/obsessive level and I feel the need to try to do something about it. Currently I'm on a weird oddball workout regimen that has me following a 2 day a week schedule. When I first started, I added more stuff in because I didn't feel two days a week was enough, but then I decided to try to stick to the program and I started seeing predictable, linear gains from workout to workout.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I am also in. presuming I don't wake up to a massive cooked breakfast because I find it hard to run with a belly full of bacon. But I'll try to run before settling down to the feasting. If I don't manage it then Ill definitely have a long walk after dinner.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I hope to...if the weather isn't too awful. I don't have a great selection of cold weather gear. So, if it is colder than about 25° F, no run for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

It's cool =) No offense taken. I just get overly concerned about people in general taking it to an unhealthy/obsessive level and I feel the need to try to do something about it. Currently I'm on a weird oddball workout regimen that has me following a 2 day a week schedule. When I first started, I added more stuff in because I didn't feel two days a week was enough, but then I decided to try to stick to the program and I started seeing predictable, linear gains from workout to workout.

I get what you are saying now, and actually am in agreement with you regarding the concern as to the reason for to be working out. A lot of people love it and it does not impact time with family. I absolutely love lifting, so I will probably lift on Christmas day. If I had family over all day, I doubt that I would.

ETA: sorry OP, just realized that I had gone off topic as I do not even run.