When do you weigh yourself, and how often?

Replies

• Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Every Single day. I have a really hard time when I travel not knowing, and I always gain weight. I need to know.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    never, I do not even own a scale

This was true for me until my doctor made me buy one when I was pregnant. They didn't zero their scale correctly and THOUGHT I had gained 4 pounds that month (horror of horrors *eye roll*). And then I got a big lecture about going for walks when I feel like eating ice cream. Did I mention that the OB was a B*TCH?
  • Ohio4Me
    Ohio4Me Posts: 22 Member
    I weigh every morning. I almost always see a gain when I don't get my water in the day before - that reminds me water is important.

For me - I have lymphedema (post breast cancer) so sometimes a weight gain tells me I need to do more arm care to get rid of
    fluid. I can't always trust the a few pounds +/- are due to eating - it could be fluid in my arm.

Just another thing to monitor and care about.
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Once a day or once every two days when I wake up, I always do it with noting on and then with clothes on to see the difference. I do it regularly to see how much my weight fluctuates throughout the day, week or month. However I only log my weight once a week on a Monday morning, this way I can see if I’m actually losing or not. Because if you think you are losing or gaining throughout the week, it may not be real weight gain/loss as you will fluctuate water weight a lot.
  • Every morning. I write down daily weights and average them once a week for the total picture. This evens out daily highs and lows. The suggested once-a-week for accuracy could still catch you in a deceptive high or low. Averaging is the way I roll.

That's a good idea; I need to start doing that!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Once a week for me. I'm a little to manic for the every day affair. I get that the ups and downs can catch me with the once a week. But it only catches once a week. My psyche can't handle the everyday fluctuation. Intellectually I get it, but my big black dog (my depression) grows stronger if I get too much negativity and a weight gain would feed him.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    I weigh every morning, but track it on Mondays.
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    What I've heard, the best practice is to weigh yourself weekly - at the same time and in the same fashion. For example, every Monday morning right after your shower. That way, you keep consistent and being naked doesn't hurt. This is my first week with myfitness pal and I'm going to use this as my practice, and to set the tone for the week to come.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,047 Member
    I used to weight daily, now I do it at most once a week in the morning before eating or drinking anything, ideally after going to the washroom.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    At least twice a day, morning and night.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Every morning before shower, after pee! My new scale has been driving me crazy with all fluctuating readings though. I miss my old one, its battery thing got spoilt. uggghh!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Morning . after I get up (preferably after a bathroom trip), and at night before bed. Log my weight, calories eaten, exercise for the day in a spreadsheet .. keeps me informed.
  • crystalrose_tina
    crystalrose_tina Posts: 39 Member
    I weigh once a week every monday morning after my shower. I like the whole idea of weighing daily and taking averages though, thats seems a lot more accurate
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Pretty much every day.

Then I put it into an excel chart and plot trendlines, averages, minimums, etc. :blushing:
  • justbeachy01
    justbeachy01 Posts: 53 Member
    Everyday, or sometimes every other day, after a shower in the morning before I have eaten. Weighing myself so much weekly keeps me on track. I'd go crazy if I only weighed myself once a week. I only record weight when I have gone down a full pound, and never record less than a pound.

It works for me, but everyone is different :)
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    In the morning, after any bathroom necessities, but before my shower, whilst nekkid.
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    I weigh every morning but am trying to stop. I'd like to go to once a week or even less. I can't take the daily ups and downs.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    I do it a few times a week.. But my actual weigh in is Saturday. In the morning, before I hit the gym for my big cardio day, and after. I like to see the difference and its a bit of a motivator to see how much less I am after a long run. :)
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    I guess if you're the type of person who won't freak out over weight fluctuations, weighing yourself daily is fine. But I just weigh myself once a week (exact same time every week) because it would drive me crazy.

I read a good blog today on this very topic, written by a pretty serious athlete who tracked her weight daily and was amazed by the fluctuations.

http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/fitchick/2013/12/17/weighty-matters/
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Every morning before my shower. My scale does the impedance-based BF and hydration % measurement, and I am mainly interested in that number. While I know it is not necessarily my actual BF%, I do like to keep an eye on any trends (up or down) and watch to see that my hydration is roughly where it needs to be in the mornings.

Since I am at maintenance, I only log if my weight changes and holds consistently for more than a week. Generally, the every-day amount is pretty stable, but I can definitely tell when I have had a lot of sodium or not enough water the day before...