Maintaining muscle and macros question

Options
I'm not maintaining yet but I've had some questions in my mind... What happens to muscles once you're at maintenance if you stop doing weight training? I don't really plan to, but I'm guessing I won't be lifting weights 3 times a week forever (I much rather walk for exercise)... so I'm curious about what to expect if I switch to once a week or something.

How about macros? Do you still need a higher protein diet? I don't really mind it because it fills me up more but it would be nice to be able to switch things around and have a Kind bar instead of a protein bar or something...

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing I won't be lifting weights 3 times a week forever

- why-ever not? (serious question).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I'd like to know too!! Resistance training is so beneficial, especially for women, especially as they get older (not saying you're old, but we're not getting any younger!)....why wouldn't you keep doing it? It's not like 3 times a week is taking over your life...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Agree, why??
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    What happens to muscles once you're at maintenance if you stop doing weight training? I don't really plan to, but I'm guessing I won't be lifting weights 3 times a week forever (I much rather walk for exercise)... so I'm curious about what to expect if I switch to once a week or something.
    You wouldn't be able to get stronger, but you could minimize strength and muscle loss with a weekly weight training session. If you don't like lifting weights then it is understandable that you might want to reduce the frequency a little. Just keep in mind as you age you will lose more and more muscle, so at least doing some kind of weight training as part of your maintenance plan would be a good idea.
    How about macros? Do you still need a higher protein diet? I don't really mind it because it fills me up more but it would be nice to be able to switch things around and have a Kind bar instead of a protein bar or something...
    Sure. Your protein intake needs to support your muscle repair. If you aren't doing as much weight training then you could lower protein a bit and put something else in there.

Hope that helps!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why the hell would you stop weight training?!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't want to stop it, I just don't like it much at all. It's just a total drag for me, and I'm making myself do it so I don't lose muscle while I lost weight but that's about it... I still want to do it for a while at maintenance, but no I won't do it forever, I think (3 times a week I mean).
  • mproestakis
    Options
    Hi there,
    Strength training for women is especially important as we age. Strength training will help prevent osteoporosis and it's also important for your metabolism. My sister is like you too, she hates weight training and would prefer to do cardio/walking etc.

If you want to cut back because you really just can't stand it, or if you just don't want to go to gym to do it, then the best thing for you to do is a good old set of squats daily. Provided your knees can take it of course. Regular squats will help maintain your lower body muscle (which are the largest muscles in our body) which in turn means you should be able to keep your metabolism revved.
    How about doing 20-30 squats with your own body weight after your walks and also carrying an extra 5 lbs during your walk. Would that be a good compromise for you? I know I've made a lot of assumptions here, but perhaps that would be more manageable.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It takes 3 weeks to start losing muscle strength when you stop weight lifting.Muscle will turn to fat if you don't use it.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Muscle will turn to fat if you don't use it.

No.

As long as you are keeping up with healthy, regular activity and your eating habits are in line with your activity level then you don't need to keep weight training if you don't want to.

Muscle loss as we age is inevitable, so keeping some sort of strength workout in your routine is highly beneficial - but this can be done in many forms - pilates with bands/balls etc. A Jillian workout, yoga flow, bootcamps - even as simple as a few squats and pushups after your walk will help you maintain muscle mass.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't want to stop it, I just don't like it much at all. It's just a total drag for me, and I'm making myself do it so I don't lose muscle while I lost weight but that's about it... I still want to do it for a while at maintenance, but no I won't do it forever, I think (3 times a week I mean).

BTW, what routine are you doing and for how long have you done the same routine? Maybe just changing it up would make it not such a drag. Manypeople suggest to rotate some exercises every 8 to 10 weeks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I'd like to know too!! Resistance training is so beneficial, especially for women, especially as they get older (not saying you're old, but we're not getting any younger!)....why wouldn't you keep doing it? It's not like 3 times a week is taking over your life...

I would also like to know the reason for this...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Muscle will turn to fat if you don't use it.

No.

As long as you are keeping up with healthy, regular activity and your eating habits are in line with your activity level then you don't need to keep weight training if you don't want to.

Muscle loss as we age is inevitable, so keeping some sort of strength workout in your routine is highly beneficial - but this can be done in many forms - pilates with bands/balls etc. A Jillian workout, yoga flow, bootcamps - even as simple as a few squats and pushups after your walk will help you maintain muscle mass.

you beat me to it...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    your not doing it right...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Have you considered different methods of resistance based training? You should see if there is a modality of resistance training that you enjoy. Or at least one you don't dislike.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm not maintaining yet but I've had some questions in my mind... What happens to muscles once you're at maintenance if you stop doing weight training? I don't really plan to, but I'm guessing I won't be lifting weights 3 times a week forever (I much rather walk for exercise)... so I'm curious about what to expect if I switch to once a week or something.
    Use it or lose it unfortunately. The physique you have made through weight training will over an extended time go and be replaced by the physique of a walker if that's all you do.
    Personal experience (and completely unscientific) - I lose strength quickly and muscle mass slowly training once a week, I can just about maintain what I have on two sessions a week and need three sessions a week to improve.
    Is there nothing you can do that you would actually enjoy?
    Your needs would be different but remember you will also have more calories to play with.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've tried machines, barbells, free weights, even bodypump, bodyjam classes, cardio workouts... not my thing! I guess I could spend 30 minutes lifting weights twice a week though. But no, I don't enjoy it one bit... which I guess is why I never really exercised in the first place until this year.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    It takes 3 weeks to start losing muscle strength when you stop weight lifting.Muscle will turn to fat if you don't use it.

LOL

Muscle will atrophy, not turn to fat.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've read the articles on studies that point out if you keep 1/3 the frequency weekly, but keep the weight the same, you can maintain your muscle mass.

But to just stop, if it's not needed for anything, they'll slowly be torn down as normally happens, but not built back up as happens when they are used.

In other words you'll lose muscle mass to only what you use enough in life, and if decently less than what's used now, you'll find a change in metabolism too.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    First of all I commend you on doing it even though you dislike it so much. Second I am wondering when you tried barbells and free weights, did you follow a routine and did you track progress and try to consistently increase your weights? It sounds like you have done a lot of trying different things but not sticking with one specifically long enough to see real progress. I was all over the board until about a year and 1/2 ago when I started lifting heavier and tracking progress. My husband and I both were commenting this morning when we were at the gym how we both have probably never been as consistent and dedicated to this as we have in the last year - and when I tell you that my body has completely transformed as a result, I am not kidding. It's drastic. And that among a bunch of other reasons is what makes me continue doing it and wanting to improve each time.
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Bump