A word to all about sexism.

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    P.S. Sexist jokes are still sexist and annoying. Claiming humor makes it ok to saying offensive things or condone narrow stereotypes is a tactic as old as time.
    FYI the point of many 'sexist' and 'racist' jokes is satire. They present those ideas to ridicule them, not to condone them. That's why it's important to know your audience and vice versa.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    P.S. Sexist jokes are still sexist and annoying. Claiming humor makes it ok to saying offensive things or condone narrow stereotypes is a tactic as old as time.
    FYI the point of many 'sexist' and 'racist' jokes is satire. They present those ideas to ridicule them, not to condone them. That's why it's important to know your audience and vice versa.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    I didn't watch the commercial, but ladies, the only thing that differentiates you, in my opinion, is your vaginas. Keep on rock in' equality in 2014! You hold those things up high and don't put just anything in there. You have my support!!!
    wait hold what things up high? our vaginas? :laugh:

Robert-Downey-Jr-laughing.gif
    Wow he looks like Tim Curry in that gif.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Except he didn't ridicule the ideas. His view was consistent through his post. There's a reason that its the racists and sexists that find racist and sexist jokes funny, and its not because they are ridiculing their own ideas.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Except he didn't ridicule the ideas. His view was consistent through his post. There's a reason that its the racists and sexists that find racist and sexist jokes funny, and its not because they are ridiculing their own ideas.

So if I laugh at someone joking about a woman making a sammich...I'm sexist? Somehow, understanding humor says that I automatically am a sexist that believes women shouldn't leave the kitchen? :huh:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Commercials on YouTube? Dude, you need to get AdBlock.

Also...

white-knights-white-knight-misandry-demotivational-posters-1338115723.jpg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Which specific joke(s) being told to which specific audience(s) are you referring to? He didn't name any particular jokes, he just pointed out that he understands the fact that humor doesn't make a value statement about something in a vacuum.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member

So if I laugh at someone joking about a woman making a sammich...I'm sexist? Somehow, understanding humor says that I automatically am a sexist that believes women shouldn't leave the kitchen? :huh:
    Right, like if my lifting friends and I laugh about this, we're sexist? :noway: It's clearly satire, because we're all female lifters.
    hF644CC82
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member

Right, like if my lifting friends and I laugh about this, we're sexist? :noway: It's clearly satire, because we're all female lifters.
    hF644CC82

If this image was cleverly satirical, it would show two people: a man buckling under the falling Oly bar, and a woman holding the similarly-weighted bar triumphantly. Or something to that effect.

But it doesn't, it shows a woman "failing" at doing a man's job once again, and the joke is reinstating a sexist stereotype where the "weak woman" is the punchline once again. As a chick, I personally don't get how it's funny to other women, but you do you.
  • LuisEOJr
    LuisEOJr Posts: 40 Member
    Did not expect such a response, was just speaking my mind but I would like to answer all who came on here.

jayrudq: Thank you, I would hope all the people in my life are as lucky as I am to be in theirs.

jmparkins4387: I agree with what you said, it is learned behavior, but because of such learned behavior am I wrong in saying that women are more empathetic than men? Which in my opinion, a fact that women are naturally have more empathy, if I am wrong about it, I apologize for my ignorance in the matter. (Just some things I picked up from many of the women in my life as I was growing up, not the men).

meshashesha20: Well said.

kateanne27: Sexism is defined as: prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex, so I still stand by all I said, sorry if you misunderstood me in anyway. About the jokes, we see things very differently in that field. A joke is a joke and we all have different sense of humor. Trust me when I say the first person I make fun of is myself, and anyone who leaves me or my type of people out of their jokes makes me feel just that left out. But that is different to all of us, we all have different sense of humor. If I were to say something I find funny and you over hear me and disagree, I actually would apologize and explain we see things differently and move on, no worries. If that is not enough for you, or to anyone else, well than it is obvious at that point we should not be speaking anyways (no matter if you male, female, white, black or anything, if our humor is different being friendly most likely will not take place).

huntndox: Really no problem, I was just ranting about how I felt.

vjohn04, walleyclan1, LiftAllThePiz: Thank you.

missomgitsica: I am sorry you see things that way, but my thanks (or love as I said) was not specifically saying "Thank you for being a women" was more of thank you, as I would thank any other person who shows strength and courage to go through hard times. I thanked a friend of mine for the same reasons (right here on MFP) because they recently went through throat surgery, are having trouble eating and now found out they cannot taste most foods anymore. I thank them for showing such strength for continuing their journey to being healthy and staying strong no matter what the world tossed in their way. To put it simply, I did not thank based on the fact that you all were women, I thanked in the fact that I, as many others I am sure, are aware of the tough times you all go through and showing strength is a powerful thing, so thank you.

delicious_coc: HA well said man, well said.

mthr2: Oh boy, I hope people do not think that my feelings are hurt by me posting such a long response to everyone on this list, I am just someone who has always enjoyed a proper explanation on both sides of any story to get not only full understanding of the true meaning but also I do enjoy seeing how others think (breaking down thoughts helps me learn more in life).

subsonicbassi: Made me laugh with that one, but one can only hope, I love my fiancee.

cloudbustr: Never met anyone who calls themselves a chick and cannot laugh at the joke. I think this is funny as heck (picture of fake news), mainly because I guarantee she can out lift me any day. I get winded trying to lift a 35lbs TV, so I think I would cry like a baby about this one, wait is that prejudice toward babies (just joking along at this point folks, no need to get so serious)
  • LiftAllThePizzas

hF644CC82

If this image was cleverly satirical, it would show two people: a man buckling under the falling Oly bar, and a woman holding the similarly-weighted bar triumphantly. Or something to that effect.

But it doesn't, it shows a woman "failing" at doing a man's job once again, and the joke is reinstating a sexist stereotype where the "weak woman" is the punchline once again. As a chick, I personally don't get how it's funny to other women, but you do you.
    That's not what it shows. It shows a woman being crushed under a barbell she tried to lift.

The rest of that (all the stereotypes, value judgments and vitriol) was generated inside your head.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    So, if I saw a woman being subject to some level of sexism, would I be a white knight if I came to her rescue, or would I just be another oppressor?

Hmmmmmmm
  • LuisEOJr
    LuisEOJr Posts: 40 Member
    PARADOX!!!

LOL good one dirty_dirty_e
  • Natihilator

hF644CC82

That's not what it shows. It shows a woman being crushed under a barbell she tried to lift.

The rest of that (all the stereotypes, value judgments and vitriol) was generated inside your head.

Did you not see the 'women leaves kitchen' part at the bottom orrrrrr....:huh:

Yes the image shows a woman being crushed by a barbell. But I am not just talking about the image, I'm talking about the entire picture + text = the joke, from a critical point of view - so yes it was technically generated inside my head. That's where thoughts come from, you know.
  • Natihilator
    cloudbustr: Never met anyone who calls themselves a chick and cannot laugh at the joke. I think this is funny as heck (picture of fake news), mainly because I guarantee she can out lift me any day. I get winded trying to lift a 35lbs TV, so I think I would cry like a baby about this one, wait is that prejudice toward babies (just joking along at this point folks, no need to get so serious)

Nice to meet you :drinker:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member

hF644CC82

Yes the image shows a woman being crushed by a barbell. But I am not just talking about the image, I'm talking about the entire picture + text = the joke, from a critical point of view - so yes it was technically generated inside my head. That's where thoughts come from, you know.
    So, you're not one of those "don't call me a 'chick'" chicks? Nevertheless, classmates like you are what made my women's studies classes so much fun.

Edit: too many apostrophes and direct/indirect quotes in a row
  • the thing about -ism's is that they are highly interpreted by our own social machines and personal reads on life.

At the fundamental CORE of any ism, is the choice.

I am a feminist, which means I get to choose....i choose my sexism, I choose how I express my feminism, I choose my humor, I choose what I laugh at and what I don't laugh at.

Every choice I make reinforces my identity as a person, a woman and a feminist.

and I *kitten* laughed so hard at that woman failing at the bar.

Why? because as a feminist I have the right to find that funny....(Even the woman leaves the kitchen sidebar comment)

why is that funny to me? The feminist? Simple, because I worry about doing that sometimes when I do OHP, I worry about that happening to me, to see it happen to someone else just like I worry, puts me at ease,

if it happens, I won't be the first, I won't be the last and I will probably be JUST as funny as she was in her facial expression...

and I LOVE the kitchen, including making sammiches....

SO....in my feministic reality based on my social perceptions of my identity...

that was *kitten* hilarious and the OP's heart was in the right place.

maybe he didn't express it to other peoples satisfaction, but frankly, sometimes when i'm trying to get a point across I don't always voice it to the other persons satisfaction, and to have that "forgiven" I have to allow forgiveness elsewhere...

that's all.
  • Natihilator

So, you're not one of those "don't call me a 'chick'" chicks? Nevertheless, classmates like you are what made my women's studies classes so much fun.

Edit: too many apostrophes and direct/indirect quotes in a row

I guess I'm not! :smokin: and I'm making the progressive choice to take that as a compliment :drinker:

PS: never took women's studies, but I went to art school and took fibre and art history classes, so basically the same environment I imagine.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    the thing about -ism's is that they are highly interpreted by our own social machines and personal reads on life.

At the fundamental CORE of any ism, is the choice.

I am a feminist, which means I get to choose....i choose my sexism, I choose how I express my feminism, I choose my humor, I choose what I laugh at and what I don't laugh at.

Every choice I make reinforces my identity as a person, a woman and a feminist.

and I *kitten* laughed so hard at that woman failing at the bar.

Why? because as a feminist I have the right to find that funny....(Even the woman leaves the kitchen sidebar comment)

why is that funny to me? The feminist? Simple, because I worry about doing that sometimes when I do OHP, I worry about that happening to me, to see it happen to someone else just like I worry, puts me at ease,

if it happens, I won't be the first, I won't be the last and I will probably be JUST as funny as she was in her facial expression...

and I LOVE the kitchen, including making sammiches....

SO....in my feministic reality based on my social perceptions of my identity...

that was *kitten* hilarious and the OP's heart was in the right place.

maybe he didn't express it to other peoples satisfaction, but frankly, sometimes when i'm trying to get a point across I don't always voice it to the other persons satisfaction, and to have that "forgiven" I have to allow forgiveness elsewhere...

that's all.

I don't find funny as hell. I'm afraid she hurt herself! So no, I don't 'get' THAT particular satire, though I know the effect they were trying for.
  • LiftAllThePizzas

hF644CC82

You are still not getting the actual jokes. Yes I see that the caption says, "women leaves kitchen." Do you?

The idea that this one picture proves that women should not leave the kitchen suggests the person making the joke is stupid. The misuse of plural enhances the effect and makes it funnier. The joke is on the one who tells it and anyone who believes it.

(That and making light of a failure by assigning a reason that doesn't make any sense is also funny, and that aspect would be just as funny regardless of the sex of the person in the picture.)