Workout more, or sleep more?

Options
Hi, my primary goals are to lose weight without shedding too much muscle in time for my wedding in August, so I eat at a deficit and I also workout. My current training schedule looks like this:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 30-40 minute walk with dog, 6 mile cycle to work very fast, 6 mile uphill cycle home
Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday: 30-40 min walk with dog, weights circuit routine, 6 mile cycle to work very fast, 6 mile uphill cycle home
Saturday: walk with dog, usually 60+ mins

I was going to add in some more cardio on mon/wed/fri in the mornings, but 1. I have to ensure that my legs aren't too tired for cycling, as its my only means of getting to work, and 2. this would mean I get even less sleep. I don't actually think I get enough sleep as it is.

Today, for example, I burned 979 cals through exercise according to my HRM (which isn't perfect, I know) and I burn at least 430 cals on my non-weights days (except saturdays) even if I take it relatively steady.

Therefore, my question is do I need to do anymore, or is this enough?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Your activity level seems fine - weight loss is going to come from a calorie deficit alone. I always choose sleep.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Sleep is when your muscles recover and rebuild. If you're going to do anything, I'd focus on improving your weight training program to maximize hormone response (compound, heavy lifts).
  • TX_Mike
    Options
    I’m not sure there’s much more you could do. Your week is pretty full as it is. When my wife was losing weight she would have moments where she’d plateau. Her workouts were consistent. Her diet was flawless. But she’d get to a point where she couldn’t lose any weight. She learned she needed to vary things up in order to “shock” her system to lose weight again. From the way it looks, your schedule is very regimented. Aside from closely monitoring your diet and caloric intake, maybe see how you can do a different cardio activity. Like sprints or other explosive type movements. Oh, and sleep. A lot

I'm no now way an expert. This is just my two cents.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    First, you need to need lose weight not just for your wedding, but generally for your health. ;)

Second, just listen to your body - if you feel exhausted and in need of sleep, then sleep. Your body needs time to recover, and its during this recovery that your muscles repair themselves and grow. There is no point in pushing yourself over the limit, as you'll either injure yourself or suffer from exercise fatigue and stop making any progress.

It's a learning process, I feel, and it requires some fine-tuning based on your body, your activity levels, your strength, and your recovery. :)