Just did my first 5K. I need help for long term goal.

Options
13»

Replies

• DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of input so far and most of it is good.

I would only suggest you be patient. My experience in going from fat smoker to fit at age 42 is that it's very hard and takes time but it can be done. I was a 270 lb pack a day smoker 20 months ago. Since then I've managed to get myself in good enough shape to make top 3 in my age group on some 5 and 10k races. The consistent work that I put into it was hard physically and mentally at times and I can't emphasize enough hoe dedicated you will need to be.

Once you are ready start start challenging for a top 3 finish find and event with like a 5k and 10k or half marathon at the same event. The really hardcore talented runners usually will run the longer distance making it possible for less experienced runners to finish well in the 5k
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    hey man, you've got a goal, go for it. it'll be tough, no doubt about that.

look at the really fast olympic sprinters, and you'll see they all look like body builders. so don't neglect the strength training. and there is a saying in track: you can only run as fast as you can move your arms. so don't neglect the upper body.

That's all well and good for SPRINTERS. 5000 meters isn't a sprint. It's squarely middle distance. Cadence isn't slowing anyone down.

World class/Olympic 5000 meter runners DO NOT look like body builders
    640px-Osaka07_D6A_M5000M_Heat2-2.jpg
    545px-20081214_mo_farah.jpg

Mo Farah there has run a 12:53 5k...

agree to disagree

209066-usain-bolt.jpg

The guy with the baton isn't running a 5K. The OP is asking about 5K running. Not the sprints/sprint relays that Bolt runs.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...and then after 45 and through 50-55 you just slow down unless one is a freak or has access to PED's.

Or you started running later in life.

If you are referring to me, I started running when I was 28. Otherwise I am not sure what you are saying here. Someone who starts running later in life wouldn't have comparable times to judge against so sure they aren't slowing down, but so what.
    No, someone like me, still getting faster in my mid 40s without PEDs. The "you" was the general you, not the you you.:)
  • supra_driven
    supra_driven Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So I dropped about 1 minute off my previous time, putting me in at just under 10 mins per mile average (9min 54 sec). I thought I'd share because it feels like a mini victory. Only thing done differently is focusing on my form. I was running with my torso leaned forward a bit and it caused my lower back to get fatigued halfway through. This time around I made sure I didn't repeat this error and my lower back didn't even flinch. The bonus was the time reduction. I was not trying to improve my time per say because I'm just conditioning my body to run. Nonetheless a rewarding NSV.