Best android app for 5k training on a treadmill?

Options
I have the next couple of months to train for a 5k, starting pretty much from scratch as an occasional runner. I am in the frozen north, so will be doing at least the first month of pre-race running indoors. There are a lot of couch to 5k apps out there, but a lot of the ones I looked at are GPS based, so I assume those wouldn't work on a treadmill. I don't want to "wear" my phone while running, either. I'd like something where I can put the phone in the cupholder and see when it's time to change speed, etc. Is there a good 5k training app out there that is not movement/gps based, or would I be better off just putting each workout into something like gymboss? (And if so, what is the best free gym timer for visual cues?)

Thanks so much!

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    There is a site called podrunner.com and they have a 5k program where they beep when to run and beep when to walk. It is not based on GPS and the music keeps you in sync. I used it myself when I trained for the 5k. Every week there is another step up that get more and more challenging until you hit 5k. Highly recommended!

Here is the link:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I use the Rundouble C25k app and I really like it. The only thing I don't like is that won't sync with MFP unless you have the GPS enabled, and I don't use the GPS on the treadmill. I do wear my fitbit, which then syncs with MFP, so I'm somewhat covered. Good luck- you will get addicted. C25k is the gateway drug...LOL
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I use the Zen Labs free C25K app. It's time based, so no GPS. There is a voice prompt as to when to walk, run, cool down, etc... I really like it. Good luck!
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I use the Active.com Couch-to-5k app. It has the GPS feature but you don't have to use it; works just fine on the treadmill and gives audio cues for run/walk.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I use the nike+ app. And I bought the little shoe clip on thing for running on the treadmill. It's pretty accurate.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Ummm... how far north? Get outside!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    The best app is the one that recommends getting off your treadmill and advises going running in the street. Treadmills do some of the work for you and so is partially cheating.
  • kikiteka
    kikiteka Posts: 1
    Options
    To those of you who keep advising to just go outside anyway in the middle of winter: I suspect you live someplace where it gets cold, but not extremely cold, or it doesn't really snow.
    She can't run on top of ice and snow. She will slip and fall. If she runs in negative degree temperatures, she will get frostbite. In some parts of the country, the treadmill is a necessity, not an option.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I live in an area where we haven't been able to run outdoors since December because of the ice and snow. Cold isn't an issue, have the equipment and have ran in negative temps. The treadmill is one option, luckily I have access to an indoor track (220m) which helps in the winter though I have to use both depending on my schedule. Would much rather be outside though.

OP, I would suggest a program that you can use either time or distance for splits. I personally use RunDouble which is good. I have a GPS running watch with HRM so I can track my calories burned with the HRM and Run Double allows you to input your warm up/cool down mileage and your run/walk mileage separately when not using GPS after the workout.

My HRM does connect to MFP through a round about way (HRM uploads to Training Peaks which gives the info to Endomondo which connects with MFP) but it's automatic after my HRM connects to my computer so it's pretty easy.. I do have to manually input my mileage into Training Peaks.
  • desireecl
    desireecl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not an app (that I know of anyway), but I've done all of my c25k running using Robert Ullrey's podcasts for running (from before I owned a smartphone). The podcasts are based on the program from coolrunning.com (also provides a link to that podcast as well as other training aids) and it uses voice prompts and music to cue time intervals.

Edit: I double checked the website as I haven't actually used the coolrunning.com website in several years...the format is different and I wasn't able to find the podcast link. The link is readily available on c25k.com along with lots of other information and resources.