Body Frame

Options
Hi everyone,

It's not really a "problem" as such because I'm not too worried about it...more intrigued.

I saw a post earlier in regards to the inaccuracies of BMI/doctors charts etc (don't we all know it!) and someone helpfully posted this amazing website that helps you work out all sorts of things, including your body frame...

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

Only thing is...I always figured I had a pretty average build. I am quite tall (174cm/5.9') and have a solid lower half but smaller upper half. But according to this...if I do the test using my wrist measurement and height, I'm a small frame... If I do it using my elbow measurement and height, I'm a large frame...!! A little odd, should it not be the same!?

To be fair, I have skinny wrists and ankles so I guess that could be what is messing up the result!

I "tested" my partner and friend, and they came out the same using both measurements.

Has anyone else done this test and discovered weird things? :happy:

Replies

• sunset19
    sunset19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I looked at the test and I think it's quite odd. It makes more sense to consider the width of your shoulders combined with the natural width of your hipbones. This takes a large part of the body into account and is more accurately your "frame". Not sure if anyone has come up with a "formula" for these parameters... though these "formulas" are not one size fit all anyways.
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mine did the same thing. I think that I just have a medium size frame, as do you (most likely). That makes the most sense!
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    Hi I did this test too with both wrist and elbow measurements both readings came out as large frame for me so it seems to work in my case. But everyone's different so not sure.
  • Iron_Biker
    Iron_Biker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think that test is unaccurate at best.

I did it, measuring wrist and elbow along the upper explanation. Result = small frame

then I actually measured my wrist with a tape. Result = large frame

In both cases I used centimeters.

Then I tried combinations in inches. Result = medium frame

My conclusion is... there is not such an easy way to know your body frame. I tried 5 different times with different wrist/elbow and imperial/metric numbers, and average it said I am a large frame. Seriously, if you look at me, I am definitely not a large frame.

If you are really interested, ask a doctor, but I do not think it is really that important (or precise) because of course, it is stupid to get conclusions on the full body using only the measurements of a wrist. If you must insist, let me tell you a story: I have lost 20 kg since january this year, and I really love watches. Since I exercise a lot, I prefer full metallic wristband watches as opposed to leather, which quickly gets destroyed by sweat and marine water. Then comes the interesting part: all of my watches now are too big for me to wear. The run up to my elbow, I need to take some links off in order to fit. There you are. Did my body frame changed with weight loss?? Of course not. But my wrist measurements certainly did.

I hope this helps, I performed those experiments on the site to help you. My advice: treat that test as pure "entertainment" without hard, conclusive value.
  • SaveTheDrama
    Options
    I looked at the test and I think it's quite odd. It makes more sense to consider the width of your shoulders combined with the natural width of your hipbones. This takes a large part of the body into account and is more accurately your "frame". Not sure if anyone has come up with a "formula" for these parameters... though these "formulas" are not one size fit all anyways.

This is what my doctors used to help me determine what a goal weight should be. My wrists and ankles are small, but my hip bones are larger and I have broad shoulders, so according to them and also my body fat % my BMI is not accurate and the weights it suggest will be hard for me to reach. At best I will be on the high end of the healthy BMI at my goal weight.