Not losing weight on Keto diet.

Options
So I've been in keto for about a week. I have not lost a pound. I stay steady at 190. I alternate between jogging and lifting weights taking off sundays. I don't understand why the scales not moving. Any ideas?

I found this on reddit does it sound legit?

"If you have been on keto for less than 6 weeks the exercising is going to prevent weight loss.

Your body has been using carbs for energy for years. But now you have restricted these carbs. What is you body going to use to fuel your workouts? The main thing that a keto diet does is teach your body how to use stored fat for energy, not carbs. But this takes time. About 3-6 weeks before your body becomes keto adapted.

In the meantime your body is going to get the energy to fuel your workouts from other sources. Mainly by slowly down some of your bodies regular life function. Mainly your metabolism"

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Keto doesn't cause weight loss.

And the quote from Reddit is unadulterated bull****.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose much if anything for the first two weeks while my body adjusted to the new diet. Then everything clicked and I haven't had a problem since. Maybe it is just an adjustment period. I'd give it a solid two weeks of perfect eating before you worry.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I suggest you check with Paleohacks.com
    and marksdailyapple.com,
    for MORE HELPFUL advice
    on the ketogenic diet.

Best wishes!
  • nickdavis843
    Options

so what does? are you saying im NOT doing something I should be doing or are you saying the ketogenic diet does not work?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    He's saying that if you're eating too much, you won't lose weight - regardless of your dietary plan.
  • nickdavis843
    Options
    He's saying that if you're eating too much, you won't lose weight - regardless of your dietary plan.

I don't believe that I am. I have been at a caloric deficit while I've been doing keto.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Do you weigh and measure all your food?

ETA: It doesn't seem you do. Entries like 'half a haas avocado' could be off by a significant number of calories either way. Buy yourself a food scale and weight everything. Most foods in the database can be entered by grams or oz.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options

^

Track your calories, make sure you're in a deficit. ---> weight loss.
  • nickdavis843
    Options

^

I've been staying under about 1,800 cals a day usually more like 1,600-1,700
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

so what does? are you saying im NOT doing something I should be doing or are you saying the ketogenic diet does not work?

Ketosis is irrelevant to weight loss. You lose weight by eating less than you consume. If you are eating an excess number of calories while in ketosis, you will gain weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

^

But you can't be certain of that, because you are not weighing your food.
  • nickdavis843
    Options

Ketosis is irrelevant to weight loss. You lose weight by eating less than you consume. If you are eating an excess number of calories while in ketosis, you will gain weight.

Under 1,800 cals a day has been what I've been sticking to. Usually well under. Should I try cutting them down further?
  • nickdavis843
    Options

^

I mean give or take a few hundred I think I would still be considered in a deficit no?
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    When you were gaining, what was your progress in one week? Did you gain every week. When you ate something different did you gain that week?

One week is not a guage. If you are panicking after one week.....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Try doing something longer than a week?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I mean give or take a few hundred I think I would still be considered in a deficit no?

No. A few hundred Calories is all your deficit is.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    On the ketogenic -

A ketogenic diet doesn't work with low calories, then it becomes another semi starvation diet that shuts down the metabolism & forces the body to catabolize it's own lean tissues for nutrition & preserves adipose tissues (body fat stores),

Females need 2000 calories & males 2500. This is an average - some days you aren't hungry & some days your calorie intake may be closer to 3000. It's best to let your appetite guide you & *never* ignore it. A ketogenic appetite is the "real" appetite & not incessant carb cravings.

To keep the body in top fat burning condition it's better to eat too many calories than not enough. Weight loss is guided more by dietary fat ratios - the body needs >65% of calories from dietary fats to get into a ketogenic state but >80% of calories doesn't have excess protein converting to glucose which forces the body to use adipose tissues (body fat stores).

are you getting enough fat??
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

^

NO.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    you can be on keto, you can be on all carbs, if there's no deficit there's no weight loss. Even if you want to remain keto, you need to adjust your calories.
  • nickdavis843
    Options
    Try doing something longer than a week?

I did not mean to imply I was going to give it up. I lost 25 pounds a few months back by just eating healthy and really hitting the gym hard. But these last ten pounds just don't want to come off. So im trying keto.

It was my understanding that you will lose weight very quickly initially in ketosis. There is so much info/misinfo out there about keto diets im just trying to sort through it. Trying to wrap my head around it so I can know if im on the right track.

Thanks for the advice though!