Too much fat?

Options
I'm 20 years old, female, and currently about 5'10" and somewhere around 110 lbs. I'd like to gain about 15 pounds, but I'm more concerned with getting healthy. I've been struggling a lot to meet my daily calorie goal (2,210) and usually end up around 1,900. To get to that number I've had to eat lots of high calorie foods-- avocado, nut butters, coconut, etc. Because of that, I've gone over my daily fat (goal is 74 grams) substantially every day, and I've yet to meet my protein (111 grams). I'm trying not to obsess, which is why I've allowed myself to choose what to eat as long as it's close to enough calories, without making sure the macros are perfect. But over the past 2 weeks since I've started recovery, I've averaged about 90 grams of fat and 80 grams of protein. I know one day doesn't make a difference, but I'm a little concerned that it's been so consistent.

Should I try to decrease my fats/increase my protein? I've also struggled with hair loss due to my eating disorder and I know protein intake can help with hair growth.

What are some good vegetarian protein sources for weight gain? Everyone says nuts, and I've been eating lots, but those have a lot of fat compared to protein.

Replies

• theprez92
    theprez92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over your fat deductible that MFP gives you, but I didn't see you say anything on your carbs maybe try tweaking that number around to get to your calorie goal.

And you could try looking into soy protein powder
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Good job on setting progressive calorie goals. It'll be tough at first but if you keep consistently reaching those calorie goals, it'll become easier and reduce the time it takes for your body to fully heal itself. You'll need a significant amount of calories to not only recover weight but also reverse the physiological damage from chronic malnutrition and severe weight loss. I know you're working on increasing calories but you're going to need significantly more than 2200 calories to accomplish your two main goals: weight recovery and repair. You can read more about this here:

http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2011/9/14/i-need-how-many-calories.html

The only macro you should really worry about in the initial stages of recovery to prevent Refeed Syndrome is carbohydrate intake - which should comprise of 40% or less of your total calories. So fill most of your calories with fats and get a balanced amount from protein and carbs.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't lower the fat, but I would increase protein.

nuts are not a protein source. they're a fat. (they have some protein but really, who are they trying to kid?)

vegetarian protein sources, i'd go eggs, full fat dairy (greek yoghurt), whey protein, well prepared beans (but these will also increase your carbs). are you completely against fish?

(eta, I eat 100g fat, 190g protein a day. with 170g carbs I get about 2200cals I think!)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    full fat cottage cheese, cheese and greek yoghurt are good for protein... do you eat fish? if so salmon is particularly good as its high calorie.
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy or try bread maybe
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't lower the fat, but I would increase protein.

nuts are not a protein source. they're a fat. (they have some protein but really, who are they trying to kid?)

This. Do you eat eggs? Cheese, milk, greek yogurt. Dairy really helps me hit my protein (and I love it). Whey protein powder. Spinach, beans.
  • fashionosack
    Options
    To change eating habits, do not sit down immediately after dinner or Pashui, it is best to remain standing in the form, you can choose a walk or organize something, so in addition to reducing fat accumulation, but also help digestion, as after a meal 30 within minutes, if you remain stationary state, the most likely form of abdominal fat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    To change eating habits, do not sit down immediately after dinner or Pashui, it is best to remain standing in the form, you can choose a walk or organize something, so in addition to reducing fat accumulation, but also help digestion, as after a meal 30 within minutes, if you remain stationary state, the most likely form of abdominal fat.

don't listen to this - this is rubbish and has been reported.

Milk and eggs and bacon- go forth- and eat protein.... eat all the proteins!!!!
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Be more concerned with saturated fat rather than just fat.
    Vegetarian sources of protein: eggs, dairy products, soy products, beans, lentils, chick peas, etc.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    90 grams is not an alarming amount of fat. Limit saturated fat to 30 grams daily, and don't consume any trans fat. Take a fish oil supplement if your diet is deficient in omega 3.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Protein powder
    Fish (If you eat that)
    Eggs (if you eat that)
    Milk
    Peanut/nut butters
    Chickpeas
    Hummus
    Cheese
    Greek yogurt