Embarrassed to go fully into my clean routine

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    They'll make fun of you until it stops being entertaining for them...then they'll accept your "new normal" and no one will care any more.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    This is tougher to understand at 19 than it will be later, but "what other people think of you is none of your business."

If that doesn't work, make fun of yourself first - it knocks the wind out of anyone else doing it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So lately I have been wanting to cut our bread and replace it with grains and vegetables, the only problem is school. I know that I shouldn't be fussed but I kind of want to do the meal prep where I can put brown rice, chicken and vegetables into a food container and take it and eat it but I can't because my friends will think it's funny. Should I keep doing what i'm doing and put it in a whole wheat wrap or is there anything else I can do?x

Yeah, instead, you can eat like a normal person. :huh:
    What's not normal about eating brown rice, chicken and vegetables?
    OP: Eat what YOU think is healthy. The sooner you decide what's best for your body and stick to it, the better.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Step #1: stop caring about what other people might think about the choices you make for yourself.

Step #2: see step #1.

This applies to far more than just the food you eat too.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    My give a crap meter was broken by 19, so I have no real advice other than stop giving a crap what the hell other people think.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Stop caring what your friends think. This is valuable advice for every aspect of your life.
  • Elif84
    Elif84 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There are people that make fun of me for my "clean" meals and won't say anything if I eat fast food once in a while. It bothered me at first, but I got over it. It's my health, not theirs. Just stop caring what other people think, you'll be happier.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    So lately I have been wanting to cut our bread and replace it with grains and vegetables, the only problem is school. I know that I shouldn't be fussed but I kind of want to do the meal prep where I can put brown rice, chicken and vegetables into a food container and take it and eat it but I can't because my friends will think it's funny. Should I keep doing what i'm doing and put it in a whole wheat wrap or is there anything else I can do?x

Yeah, instead, you can eat like a normal person. :huh:
    What's not normal about eating brown rice, chicken and vegetables?
    OP: Eat what YOU think is healthy. The sooner you decide what's best for your body and stick to it, the better.

Sigh...
    OP, eat what you normally do, but eat less if your friends' opinions affect you that much.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Who cares if your friends think it's "funny?" What kind of effing weirdo shrieks with hilarity because someone eats rice instead of bread? Everyone in this bizarre scenario should grow up, good Lord.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have very good friends that teased me about my habits (and still bring it up once in a while), but I just laugh it off. I'm doing what I think is right. At the time, I replaced fries with green beans. I was making small changes and it worked for me. If they say anything to you about your new eating habits, just say " I'm trying to take better care of myself ". Small changes lead to long term success.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your friends will make fun of you because of what you eat? i think you need smarter friends or at least those with more things going on in their lives than having to talk about what other people eat.

and anyway, yeah, who cares if your friends think it's "funny". it's not like digestion works by committee anyway unless you're all sharing the same intestinal tracts
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Can I get on board with both camps here? 1. You don't need to be restricting entire food groups if you don't want to just to lose weight and 2. Eyes on your own plate. Your food choices are none of their business (welfare concerns over disordered eating behaviors excepted).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    your profile says you are 19..
    you have 19 year old school mates who will laugh at rice?

:huh:

thats what i thought

www.sparkteens.com
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    you could just say your mum made you it. lol.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    trying to commit to a bunch of overly fussy, totally unnecessary changes to their normal routine is the #1 reason people don't stick to a plan long enough to achieve their goals. In fact, it's also the #1 reason people don't even start.

maybe shelve the big no-bread and all brown rice and veggies plan in favor of figuring out what your maintenance calories are and eating foods you enjoy while keeping your total calories under maintenance. I've heard that method has worked for a person or two.

+1

This
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Girl, let it all out! Be free with your healthy lifestyle with confidence!

I bet you will start a fad amongst your peers! In no time they will be coming to you asking for ideals!

Be a leader not a follower is what I preach to my 18 yr old in college.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,707 Member
    Options
    They may laugh to start with, but if it catches on you could be the trend setter. Sometimes it takes courage to be different. Cruel laughter may be insecurity or group mentality. If they're really your friends you'll all just grow.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you really like those foods, just do it. Tell your friends you like this meal, and you wanted to make sure to bring foods you like for lunch.

If you don't like those foods, really like them, then don't bother because it will eventually wear you down and you may begin to find potentially unhealthy snacks to make up for it. It is hard to stick to a change if you don't like what you changed to. After a few weeks this will be your new normal and they won't even question you anymore.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    trying to commit to a bunch of overly fussy, totally unnecessary changes to their normal routine is the #1 reason people don't stick to a plan long enough to achieve their goals. In fact, it's also the #1 reason people don't even start.

maybe shelve the big no-bread and all brown rice and veggies plan in favor of figuring out what your maintenance calories are and eating foods you enjoy while keeping your total calories under maintenance. I've heard that method has worked for a person or two.

^^^ This exactly. I've seen friends, family and colleagues see-saw, yo yo, give up entire food groups and make extreme changes that are not necessary and ultimately give up because it's not sustainable. If you think you're never going to eat a piece of bread for the rest of your life then by all means carry on with your plan. I'd rather enjoy a variety of foods and maintain a healthy calorie intake....cause guess what, that works!

But if you feel you must do this, put your big girl panties on and don't worry what others think!