Measurements

Shawna_831
Shawna_831 Posts: 316
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
When you take your waist measurements do you go right on the belly button or right above it?
What about hips?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    The waist is usually measured at the smallest part of the torso, it is in a slightly different part of the stomach for everyone. For the hips, they should be measured at the widest part.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    I used to work in a costume shop and they measured people all day, everyday. They took waist measurement one inch above the belly button and a hip measurement 7 inches below the belly button. But like shawna said your body maybe slightly different.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    When you take your waist measurements do you go right on the belly button or right above it?
    What about hips?

Bend slightly sideways, where it creases, there's your waist.

Regarding the hips, I always measure at the biggest bit, otherwise, if I do not measure at the biggest/fattest bit, the hips on clothes I buy will come up too small. (I haven't a clue where the "official hip measurement" is supposed to be though.
  • I don't know what the official is but I always measure from the biggest part as well.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Same here. I always measure the smallest point for the waist and largest point for hips.

Where you measure doesn't matter as much as that you make sure to measure the exact some place every time!
  • Shawna_831
    Shawna_831 Posts: 316
    Thanks everyone!
  • nahhan12
    nahhan12 Posts: 79
    For my waist, I do what seamstresses do. Bend to the side and where your waist creases is your "natural waist". Mine's about midway between my ribs and my belly button.

For my hips, I just find the biggest measurement, which usually ends up to be a few inches below my hip bones in the front.
This discussion has been closed.