"You're Starting To Look Skinny Again"

Options
Said my mom unsolicited last night when I was using my bathroom mirror (it starts halfway up the wall and is the width of the entire wall) to check out a new outfit that I bought.

She then told me that I was doing a disservice judging my progress by the mirror because it adds weight to me. She said that I look bigger in the mirror than I do when she's actually looking at me.

I don't know if she was just being a supportive mom and trying to boost me, whether she's telling the truth, or a little bit of both. But I appreciated it. :smile:

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I think she's trying to be encouraging and positive. Sounds so much better than the other posts we see on this forum.

You should feel loved and supported, i hope you do.

Nice job!
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Way to go! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I don't know your mom but most people wouldn't give unsolicited praise if they didn't genuinely notice a change for the better...or maybe that's just me. Either way, you're awesome. Keep it up!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I guess she gave you a compliment. I get pissed any time someone calls me skinny, though.
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I guess she gave you a compliment. I get pissed any time someone calls me skinny, though.
    You're skinny! :laugh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    You're skinny! :laugh:

<Sigh>
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It sounds like mom was complimenting you.

I've been told I'm skinny and it bugs me because skinny feels negative. I am slim, healthy, anal may be even fit. But I'm not skinny.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

I've been told I'm skinny and it bugs me because skinny feels negative. I am slim, healthy, anal may be even fit. But I'm not skinny.

This. Especially when the word skinny is often said in a negative tone. I hate it. :sad:
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options

This. Especially when the word skinny is often said in a negative tone. I hate it. :sad:

they're just jelly :glasses:
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Said my mom unsolicited last night when I was using my bathroom mirror (it starts halfway up the wall and is the width of the entire wall) to check out a new outfit that I bought.

She then told me that I was doing a disservice judging my progress by the mirror because it adds weight to me. She said that I look bigger in the mirror than I do when she's actually looking at me.

I don't know if she was just being a supportive mom and trying to boost me, whether she's telling the truth, or a little bit of both. But I appreciated it. :smile:

my dad isnt supportive at all. she gave a compliment and self esteem boost.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    She's being supportive. And she may know that the particular mirror adds weight. Some mirrors can make people look heavier or slimmer, plus you are seeing yourself in a more one dimensional way (and you may even pose in ways that accentuate or focus on flaws), etc. Seeing yourself on video is very different from looking in a mirror. She noticed something and wanted to let you know.

Also, she said skinny as a compliment. It's just a word. It means different things to different people. It doesn't have that much power, just the intention and meaning we attribute to it. I wouldn't reject a compliment and request a different one.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I know what you mean about that word being used in a negative context because I dealt with it when I was younger and it does kind of make me flinch. But in my mom's case, "skinny" is just the word she uses for anyone who's not overweight, regardless of their body composition. She'll watch a fitness competition and say, "Their bodies are nice. They're skinny, but they're all muscle." :laugh:

Honestly, she means it in a positive way. I've tried to get her to say "slim", which is what she really means, but I don't hold out much hope of a change. I can't get her to stop using 90s slang and that's far more disturbing. :ohwell:
  • Matiara
    Options
    I think she's trying to be encouraging and positive. Sounds so much better than the other posts we see on this forum.

You should feel loved and supported, i hope you do.

Nice job!

Oh, I do. Especially when I see the threads you are referencing. I do have family members who are negative about eating well and exercising, but I don't talk to them about my goals. My mom is 100% supportive.
  • Matiara
    Options
    Way to go! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

I don't know your mom but most people wouldn't give unsolicited praise if they didn't genuinely notice a change for the better...or maybe that's just me. Either way, you're awesome. Keep it up!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Ohhhh, I just wish that, for one day, one time, I get called ``skinny``!!!!!!!!! I would not be mad :-) Maybe one day, maybe........
  • Matiara
    Options
    She's being supportive. And she may know that the particular mirror adds weight. Some mirrors can make people look heavier or slimmer, plus you are seeing yourself in a more one dimensional way (and you may even pose in ways that accentuate or focus on flaws), etc. Seeing yourself on video is very different from looking in a mirror. She noticed something and wanted to let you know.

Also, she said skinny as a compliment. It's just a word. It means different things to different people. It doesn't have that much power, just the intention and meaning we attribute to it. I wouldn't reject a compliment and request a different one.

The comment didn't bother me. It's just that she walked in as I was pinching my back fat and I wondered if she was just being extra complimentary in order to encourage me. Not that what she said wasn't the truth, but the way she said it in a rah rah fashion.

You're right about the mirror. I do tend to twist and turn about in it trying to see if my back fat is shrinking or if I'm losing cellulite from my legs. I've been thinking to myself lately that I need to stop doing that. I can't avoid the mirror altogether because I obviously have to use my bathroom, but I can stop scrutinizing my problem areas every day. That's just as unhealthy as a scale obsession. I just need to track my measurements, enjoy my clothes getting looser, and be done with it.