Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight loss first then lift?

2»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    @ parkscs. Thanks man, I like to track the body fat % my goal is 18% it just sucks shelling out to get it done properly but it's worth in IMO

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods

To add - some insurance plans cover some (if not all) the costs to get your body fat % measured (like with a dexa scan).
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Joy_Joy_ lots of great stuff there thanks
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    If you're building and trying to gain muscle mass then you can't do both
    You can either cut weight or bulk on muscle
    It's not possible to both
    You could maintain muscle very slowly and lose weight slowly but it's not worth it
    You have to choose 1

No reason why he cannot do both - he is 310lb.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    I didnt start lifting untill i had lost 60 lbs.

My biggest weight loss regret is that i didn't start lifting from day 1.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Joy_Joy_ lots of great stuff there thanks

There is lots of great information in the entire group that Joy_Joy_ posted that link to (and the moderators are incredible sources of information).

I have nothing else to add except WOW on your current loss to date.
  • Sarauk2sf
    OP: as you have a fair amount of weight to lose, you may want to consider a slightly less 'heavy lifting' routine to one that is more 'active' and therefore increases your caloric burn. Keep resistance training and keep progressive loading, but you may be better off upping the reps a bit and dropping the weight down for a while. Throw in some complexes and other conditioning work. However, make sure you accurately track your food and keep your diet 'under control'.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    OP: as you have a fair amount of weight to lose, you may want to consider a slightly less 'heavy lifting' routine to one that is more 'active' and therefore increases your caloric burn. Keep resistance training and keep progressive loading, but you may be better off upping the reps a bit and dropping the weight down for a while. Throw in some complexes and other conditioning work. However, make sure you accurately track your food and keep your diet 'under control'.

Yep this is the approach I'd suggest. Some circuit style training utilising weights but minimising rest to keep the heart rate up and burn more calories. If you enjoy lifting heavy you could probably still incorporate a bit of it into your routine.

As has been pointed out, diet is the key to weight loss.

Also wanted to add that there is absolutely nothing wrong with losing inches, in fact I personally think it's way better than losing weight. No one sees the number on the scale besides you but they will notice your smaller, tighter body. Focus on your diet and the weight will come off too
  • mgorham13

Any programs you can think of off the top of your head? I used to enjoy 20-30 of cardio after strong lifts but the weights have gotten real heavy for me I am just shot at the end.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

Part 2 there also, contains this.

Rather than focus on the specific modality or exercise, I just want to take a quick look at some loading parameters. Again, they tend to vary depending on the underlying philosophy of the coach in question but generally speaking anywhere from 2-4 sets of 15-20 repetitions of anywhere from 5-7 exercises done with short rest intervals (60 seconds or less) would be fairly common for this type of training. As you might imagine, this doesn’t make for terribly long workouts (20-40 minutes or so) but they can be exceedingly fatiguing. Which is part of the point.
    Frequency for metabolic weight training can vary from perhaps 2-4 workouts per week. Of course, this will always depend on the volume of training being done and what else is being done workout wise. You’ll see this reflected in the sequencing examples below.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,857 Member
    well im no expert, and am still figuring it out, but for me, i started workout videos at home, jillian, p90x, then joined a gym, decided to try the "very little cardio" thing, but it made my legs get bigger where i could hardly get my pants up, so i now do 5 min od cardio to warm up, followed by 30-40 minutes of lifting, then 20 minutes of cardio. sometimes more, sometimes less, depending how much time i have, it seems to work well for me, i got almost to my goal that way, but got married and fell off track, so now im doing it that way again, so far so good
  • mgorham13
    Between all the stuff in @ sarauk2sf profile and heybales I have a lot of reading to do tonight. This is why I love this community. There is a good chance that the information provided here tonight will be a monumental help to a perfect stranger. That is awesome!
  • Sarauk2sf

Any programs you can think of off the top of your head? I used to enjoy 20-30 of cardio after strong lifts but the weights have gotten real heavy for me I am just shot at the end.

I would try swapping to something like AllPro - it has a greater range of lifts and a slightly higher rep range and lower weights.

Details can be found here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843